Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

For someone with enough experience in sound/music making, Buxton doesn't half pick some shite venues for these chats doesn't he? Latest one sounds like it was in a giant metal tank. Awful reverb. A lot of them seem to be recorded in pubs or whatever and you can hear traffic and all manner of other field noise. Just get a reasonably sized room with carpet flooring for fucks sake.

Jerzy Bondov

It's "I took my microphone and found some human folk", not "I took my microphone and found some human folk and a reasonably sized room with carpet flooring for fucks sake"

lankyguy95

Quote from: mrfridge on June 17, 2019, 07:40:58 AM
Had to stop listening at The pig-moth story. The people on the tram were looking at me oddly.
That was great.

I really laughed at Whitehouse's "What's he done now!?" when Buckles brought up Martin Luther King.

Mobbd

Quote from: lankyguy95 on June 19, 2019, 02:06:46 PM
I really laughed at Whitehouse's "What's he done now!?" when Buckles brought up Martin Luther King.

Standard. Usually reserved for Nelson Mandela. Saw it used on Twitter the other day for Anne Frank when some wag saw her trending on her birthday.

mrfridge

Quote from: Mobbd on June 20, 2019, 10:13:40 AM
Standard. Usually reserved for Nelson Mandela. Saw it used on Twitter the other day for Anne Frank when some wag saw her trending on her birthday.

Retract your mirth NOW!

lankyguy95

Oh fuck how do I retract? Does crying cancel it out?

bobloblaw

Quote from: Mobbd on June 20, 2019, 10:13:40 AM

Maybe, but Whitehouse's delivery seals it.

McFlymo

Quote from: EOLAN on June 17, 2019, 12:05:31 PM
A good fun listen. Perhaps a sign of how good it was that I felt I wanted a lot more. Did appear to cut off in mid-flow with no real wind-down. So a back-handed compliment I guess.

I was surprised when it ended too, seemed very sudden, but probably mostly because it was such a delight.

phantom_power

Really interesting chat with Maya Foa, who I hadn't heard of before

mrfridge

I thought Buckles seemed excessively giddy in this one considering the subject matter.

phantom_power

I think he was trying to keep it from getting too dark

Schnapple

Great episode with Frank Skinner, reflecting in part on his oft-discussed gittishness here on CaB. And lots of Mark E. Smith impersonations.

Also, the Christian Bale leak mashup is still so, so funny, especially when played here, following Frank recalling his speech designed to motivate middle class production assistants.

EOLAN

Quote from: Schnapple on July 08, 2019, 02:32:31 PM
Great episode with Frank Skinner, reflecting in part on his oft-discussed gittishness here on CaB. And lots of Mark E. Smith impersonations.

Also, the Christian Bale leak mashup is still so, so funny, especially when played here, following Frank recalling his speech designed to motivate middle class production assistants.

Enjoyed the Gene Wilder anecdote as well. Could just imagine Wilder (probably as Leopold Bloom) saying "How can you say it was a good interview? How can you be thankful. It was horrible."

Really enjoyable listen. Yet another episode where I could have happily listened to hours more.

The moment when Skinner asked with seemingly genuine curiosity, "Is Billy Bob Thornton's name... William Robert Thornton?" had me utterly pissing myself.

Dr Rock

He says these days he's less likely to go to parties than to call the police if a neighbour is having one. He's not joking, I was just talking to my new girlfriend - yes I have anew girlfriend! - and she knows someone who lives opposite him and he did phone the police when she had a party.

Fishfinger

This is the Mark E Smith interview they talk about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDwEkrSFsHc

At least I think so. There's a much longer, similarly-titled video that clearly isn't Frank Skinner.

Seems to be in mono unfortunately (only watched the start so far).

Schnapple

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 08, 2019, 04:15:27 PM
Really enjoyable listen. Yet another episode where I could have happily listened to hours more.

The moment when Skinner asked with seemingly genuine curiosity, "Is Billy Bob Thornton's name... William Robert Thornton?" had me utterly pissing myself.

Similarly, "Magnum: Public Intellectual", did it for me.

kidsick5000

So much good stuff.
But Laika dying because they forgot to crack a window got me stares on the train

Ferris

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 09, 2019, 11:40:24 AM
So much good stuff.
But Laika dying because they forgot to crack a window got me stares on the train

Opening a window on Sputnik 2 probably would have introduced more problems than it solved for Laika, alas.

kidsick5000

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2019, 01:36:10 PM
Opening a window on Sputnik 2 probably would have introduced more problems than it solved for Laika, alas.

Your reply puts me somewhere between

And

Ferris

Was it the same joke that Buckles made? I haven't listened to the podcast and it seemed like an obvious gag to make (for me, I'm sure they got there in a much funnier and circuitous route). Should listen and find out really, but I get so little time for podcasts as it is I doubt I'll ever catch up.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 09, 2019, 06:50:22 PM
Your reply puts me somewhere between

And

Am I the only one who understands this as simply gif and gif?

kidsick5000

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2019, 01:36:10 PM

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 10, 2019, 12:13:12 AM
Was it the same joke that Buckles made? I haven't listened to the podcast and it seemed like an obvious gag to make

Not really. The gag was the window.
They were talking about the space race, and Frank mentioned that Laika, first dog in space, died up there.
Adam seemed taken aback and dismayed having assumed Laika made it back.
Frank cracked the joke that it was because they forgot to crack a window on Sputnik II.
Well, it made me giggle.

Now that you have revealed that you hadn't listened to it, I see why – without context – your reply had somewhat humour-flattening logic.
See also: "But an outside toilet on a plane would be too dangerous to use while in the air, especially on a much older model"

Blinder Data

Frank Skinner one was good. I thought Buxton was on thin ice talking about Bukowski - I know nothing of him really but he was clearly a shit. Buckles often comes out with inelegantly expressed comments in the #metoo era, must be careful not to get cancelled

I love Rosie. I hope the podcast doesn't go on for too long - otherwise there's gonna be an episode when she's not in it :(

Twit 2

Really liked the Skinner one. Caught up with the John Grant one. He seemed like a very thoughtful, articulate and funny man. I did cringe my face off at the HIV gaffe. Loveable as he is, Buxton really can be clueless sometimes. Grant took it in his stride, though.

Sin Agog

I actually saw that Mark E Smith interview a couple of years back.  Skinner kept on going on about how old MES was for about half an hour.  Weird way to endear yourself to someone you love.  Seem to recall them bonding over some old TV shows, though.

sponk

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 12, 2019, 11:37:31 PM
Frank Skinner one was good. I thought Buxton was on thin ice talking about Bukowski - I know nothing of him really but he was clearly a shit. Buckles often comes out with inelegantly expressed comments in the #metoo era, must be careful not to get cancelled

I love Rosie. I hope the podcast doesn't go on for too long - otherwise there's gonna be an episode when she's not in it :(

Why was Buxton on thin ice?

Blinder Data

Quote from: sponk on July 13, 2019, 01:25:39 AM
Why was Buxton on thin ice?

I felt he could've been more condemning of Bukowski's behaviour - an uncharitable person could argue he was excusing/downplaying the wife-beating. Skinner himself used the phrase 'thin ice'

This is in addition to the Alexa Chung bottom-patting and moaning about women putting on make-up on the trains. I love the lovely bastard but he has blind spots (like us all)

non capisco

The 100th episode with not only JOE but also LOUIS has dropped!!

*insert Groove Is In The Heart gif here*

Pranet

Oh man I need this today. Thanks Adam, should you ever read this.