Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pranet on July 13, 2019, 04:31:34 PM
Oh man I need this today. Thanks Adam, should you ever read this.

Likewise, this is exactly what I need right now. Dr Buckles deserves an actual honorary doctorate.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating: if you only knew Louis Theroux from these podcasts, you would never believe that he basically spends his life making terminally serious and depressing documentaries. Now whenever I see him chatting sensitively to heroin addicts or people with degenerative diseases, I always think, "He's probably fighting the urge to go 'This is boring, let's have a silly harmonised singsong.'" 

Sin Agog

Speaking of Buckles being on thin ice, I started relistening to a few of the really old XFM A&J shows recently, and right from the off Joe is problematic as hell, calling the Wachowskis transvestites and whatnot.  I have a free afternoon.  I might cancel him.

lankyguy95

Sounds like a real fuck-boy to me.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I also vaguely recall them being a tad borderline-pervy with some of the female callers to the show in a way they didn't do with the male callers. I mean it was almost certainly intended ironically but probably wouldn't fly today.

Adam's impression of Sam Elliot. Oh my.

Scrapey Fish

I loved the attempt to have Adam find his voice. That sort of pressurised audition reminded me of when Adam put Joe through his Mock the Week audition

Lewman

Just loved that latest podcast. Was driving a 200 mile trip and the app notified me of it. Felt giddy having both Joe and Louis. Made the journey so much better. Felt like I was the fourth person in a get together of close friends. The montage of Louis sighing had me in stiches! As much as I miss the 6music show I'm happy to have these meet-ups once or even twice a year. Especially since Joe doesn't seem as upright as he has been in the past. Plus we have Louis's Bowie song to look forward to on the 200th podcast.

BTW for those who don't know, social media shy Joe is now on Instagram under - mrjoecornish Seems like he's quite active in replying to people's comments as well

McFlymo

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 13, 2019, 11:48:16 AM
I felt he could've been more condemning of Bukowski's behaviour - an uncharitable person could argue he was excusing/downplaying the wife-beating. Skinner himself used the phrase 'thin ice'

This is in addition to the Alexa Chung bottom-patting and moaning about women putting on make-up on the trains. I love the lovely bastard but he has blind spots (like us all)

Exactly my feelings on the big loveable bastard! Every now and again, I have a big happy grin on my face, only to feel it peel right off my face at Buckles starting some sentence dangerously veering towards something akin to "it's political correctness gone mad" .... It's nowhere near as bad as that, but I have wee moments where I feel the colour drain from my face.

The last few have been absolutely amazing though!
About a 3rd into Episode 100, trying my best to savour it and make it last, because it is a thing of total joy!

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 13, 2019, 06:04:34 PM
It's been said before, but it bears repeating: if you only knew Louis Theroux from these podcasts, you would never believe that he basically spends his life making terminally serious and depressing documentaries. Now whenever I see him chatting sensitively to heroin addicts or people with degenerative diseases, I always think, "He's probably fighting the urge to go 'This is boring, let's have a silly harmonised singsong.'"

He's properly fucking hilarious. His appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast is a good listen if you haven't heard it. .

McFlymo

Finished Ep 100, that was quite special and lovely. 

QuoteBuckles: "What was the worst report you ever got, was there a phrase that sticks in your head from those days, Joe?"

Cornballs: "So I went through a really stupid phase in school, where I just didn't give a shit..."

Buckles: "Mmmhmm. I think I remember that..."

Louis: "What was the other phase?"

Cornballs:"We started studying Charlemagne and my God it was the most boring thing... It just felt like dying..."

Louis: "You were fine with the other French kings.."

Cornballs:"But when you're young and you're full of sap, and energy and excitement and ..."

Buckles: "Spunk?"

Cornballs:"And spunk... You're absolutely brimming over with spunk...."

Dusty Substance

Thoroughly enjoyed the Joe and Louis episode. As mentioned, it seems bizarre that Louis does these documentaries about such extreme subjects as death, religious extremism, pedophilia etc.  but he's clearly just as silly as Adam & Joe, perhaps more so going by this latest podcast. An excellent listen.

Also caught up with the Frank Skinner one which had somehow passed me by. Another really enjoyable episode and it got me thinking about a couple of things. 1. I ought to go back and do a MASSIVE catch up on his Absolute Radio show. I used to be an avid listener but stopped around 2015 when life and other stuff got in the way (also, it did become a little repetitive, smug and twee but Frank truly is one of the quickest wits in British broadcasting. 2. Hasn't Herring been trying to get Frank on RHLSTP for years? I assumed Frank turned down any sort of podcast interview due to being private, beneath him or his general gitishness, but maybe he has beef with Herring (a horrible combination of meat and fish).

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 15, 2019, 03:45:08 PM
2. Hasn't Herring been trying to get Frank on RHLSTP for years? I assumed Frank turned down any sort of podcast interview due to being private, beneath him or his general gitishness, but maybe he has beef with Herring (a horrible combination of meat and fish).

He's also done Walking The Dog and James O'Briens' podcast recently (having a new show to promote may have encouraged him).
I suspect Richard Herring's is a harder sell due to it being a live show rather than a chat which can be arranged more around the guest.

Quote from: RicoMNKN on July 15, 2019, 04:15:27 PM
He's also done Walking The Dog and James O'Briens' podcast recently (having a new show to promote may have encouraged him).
I suspect Richard Herring's is a harder sell due to it being a live show rather than a chat which can be arranged more around the guest.

Frank would be in his element there, no? He's a fantastically quick-witted man who enjoys playing off a crowd.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 15, 2019, 05:59:48 PM
Frank would be in his element there, no? He's a fantastically quick-witted man who enjoys playing off a crowd.

He would, but I was meaning more the effort of having to get to a theatre with a set time/date to do a show for not much money.  I believe Adam tends to travel to his guests, which must make it easier for them to say yes.

Yeah, that's what I've always thought with Herring. The live show element stops some guests from taking part. I suppose you also have the element of people not wanting to slip up in what they're saying. A recorded podcast can be edited before release, a live audience means something that shouldn't have been said will still leak out. So I think that's why he misses out on certain guests.

bobloblaw

the whole Bowie improv section, capped with Joe's glorious original, had me beaming from ear to ear. Joyous.
Hearing 3 pals just riffing on 35-odd years of friendship gave a warm glow. Adam seemed properly touched by his pals' support, especially in his heartfelt post-chat wrap-up

popcorn

Lovely episode. My only disappointment is that he didn't alter the jingle lyrics to "I added 100 podcasts to the giant podcast bin / and you all plucked those podcasts out and started listening".

DrGreggles

Finally caught up with #99 and #100.

Both delightful, but
Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 09, 2019, 11:40:24 AM
Laika dying because they forgot to crack a window
was fantastic.

I maintain that, on his day, Skinner is still the sharpest comedian in the country.

madhair60

100 episodes and I still smile every time at My name is Adam Buxton I'm a MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

popcorn

One day I'd like to hear an episode begin with Joe walking his cat.

Sin Agog

Quote from: madhair60 on July 18, 2019, 09:59:00 AM
100 episodes and I still smile every time at My name is Adam Buxton I'm a MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Sounds like one of them there incels to me.

bobloblaw

I have the holiday horn ringing around my head in this morning and fear it may be stuck there until September.

Jerzy Bondov

The Holiday Horn has become my favourite jingle. HAVE A CARRAT. HAVE TWO CARRATS.

Chollis

I want to hear the jingle which had the lyrics "i did a poo poo in my pants" but pronounced like parnts

Twed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGbsGFK6SMw "NO" is the only one I can find online (with the laziest, quickest of searches).

I'm saying this understanding the risk of him being somebody who posts here, I really don't like benpics lifeless, podcast-stalking animations.

kngen

Re: Frank Skinner's story about doing a gig with The Fall at Glasgow Uni.

I was there that night (it was Fresher's Week in 91 or 92 IIRC). My mate was working as a bouncer and got me in for free. He told us at the time that one of Bad Manners' crew actually pulled a GUN on Mark E Smith, and that's why all the security working cleared out and the cops were called in instead. A knife seems far more plausible in retrospect, but my mate wasn't really one for tall tales (but maybe the person that passed on the info to him was. Who knows?)

I do know that if Frank had stuck around to watch the Fall, I don't think his lifelong fanaticism would have taken root that night. They were astoundingly poor  (perhaps not surprising given earlier events), and even my mates who were diehard Fall fans had to concede they were awful. I'd taken some pretty strong acid though, so Mark E Smith's incomprehensible slurring over a band barely holding it together just sounded hilarious to me.

Frank Skinner's set was brilliant though. To this day, one of the best standups I've seen.

popcorn

Never read Catcher in the Rye and still enjoyed the ep about it.

Lewman

Had to turn the latest podcast off halfway through. Sarah Pascoe constantly saying Yes to everything Richard and Adam were saying got slightly irritating.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Lewman on July 23, 2019, 02:01:24 PMHad to turn the latest podcast off halfway through. Sarah Pascoe constantly saying Yes to everything Richard and Adam were saying got slightly irritating.

I can't stand her. I wish I didn't, but I do. I find her mercilessly insincere.