Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

Quote from: Lewman on July 23, 2019, 02:01:24 PM
Had to turn the latest podcast off halfway through. Sarah Pascoe constantly saying Yes to everything Richard and Adam were saying got slightly irritating.

Yes

lankyguy95

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 23, 2019, 02:17:33 PM
I can't stand her. I wish I didn't, but I do. I find her mercilessly insincere.
She's never struck me as insincere, just utterly unfunny.

Twed

Amazed that anybody thought Sara was anything other than thoughtful and the most interesting person in the podcast.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Twed on July 23, 2019, 07:19:27 PM
Amazed that anybody thought Sara was anything other than thoughtful and the most interesting person in the podcast.

I really liked her comment about how you know you've graduated from a teen to an adult when you realise everyone else is neurotic and anxious, too.  Might seem like a truism or a bit pat, but it's a true truism, Pat.

marquis_de_sad

Yeah I thought she carried the conversation in good directions. If anything she was a bit earnest, but she still broke into easy laughter when someone said something funny.

Sin Agog

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 23, 2019, 07:24:03 PM
If anything she was a bit earnest.

Probably didn't want to come across as a phoney.

phantom_power

Pascoe always comes across as intelligent and thoughtful in interviews. And then I see her stand-up and find it quite pedestrian and shallow. I think she has dumbed herself down a bit to appeal to a more mass market,which is fair enough I suppose but a bit of a shame as I reckon if she used her intellect more she could be a really good stand-up

I love everybody but this is double self indulgent.

It's like (I can't remember who said it on TV) "welcome to the shittest dinner party in the world!"

Always nice to hear AB (I'm doing internet speak now) talking with RA and SP. SP, RA and AB got on so well that it's easy to listen to like a fly on the wall, but If I was AB I would try to mix the guests up a bit maybe FG, YG, PP, FD, etc etc

easytarget

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on July 24, 2019, 12:34:36 AM
I love everybody but this is double self indulgent.

It's like (I can't remember who said it on TV) "welcome to the shittest dinner party in the world!"

Always nice to hear AB (I'm doing internet speak now) talking with RA and SP. SP, RA and AB got on so well that it's easy to listen to like a fly on the wall, but If I was AB I would try to mix the guests up a bit maybe FG, YG, PP, FD, etc etc
Family Guy, Yuri Gagarin, Philip Pope, Fred Durst?

lively

(maybe not the dead cosmonaut)

phantom_power

I got quite sad when he said that there would be no more podcasts until October. Why can't he stockpile some and release them over the summer? I would have preferred a longer gap between each one if it stopped a 3 month gap now

I was only joking around. I think Adam Buxton has had one of the best and most interesting hit rates with guests. As in people I wouldn't usually have been bothered with on another podcast.

He is genuinely brilliant and I would say (not in his mind) a national treasure. Bit much I know, but we all said that about Bob Mortimer 10 years ago. Now the greatest.

I've completely forgotten what I've just written.

jake thunder

He'll be #cancelled within the year. Mark my words.

phantom_power

So who are FG, YG, PP and FD?

Twed

Quote from: phantom_power on July 24, 2019, 09:34:04 AMWhy can't he stockpile some and release them over the summer? I would have preferred a longer gap between each one if it stopped a 3 month gap now
In a giant bin?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Lewman on July 23, 2019, 02:01:24 PM
Had to turn the latest podcast off halfway through. Sarah Pascoe constantly saying Yes to everything Richard and Adam were saying got slightly irritating.

What an odd thing to get slightly irritated about.

I enjoyed that very special book club episode, they all made good contributions.

Quote from: Twed on July 23, 2019, 07:19:27 PM

I agree, she came across as a thoughtful, empathetic, intelligent person. I've never seen her stand-up - or indeed stand up - but as a presumably seated human being talking about Catcher in the Rye, she did a fine job.

Twed

All that analysis saves me from ever having to read the fucker, too. I've been avoiding it on purpose all my life.

Why? You can read it in an afternoon. Decide if it's overrated shit or not before you have your tea.

Twed

It's not the effort, I just don't want to open up the option of being able to relate to people who take the book really seriously. Phony bastards.

popcorn

No one noticed this is back?

Loved the extended cup-of-tea sesh in the most recent ep. Did wonder what Pullman was going on about everything having consciousness though.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: popcorn on October 08, 2019, 07:46:39 PM
Loved the extended cup-of-tea sesh in the most recent ep.

The longer that went on, the more I expected a few daft sound effects to be edited in, like the ones behind the continuity announcer in On the Hour.

phantom_power

Loved the extended cup-of-tea sesh in the most recent ep. Did wonder what Pullman was going on about everything having consciousness though.

I thought it slightly ironic it coming after him moaning about people not believing scientists and just following their beliefs

Twit 2

Hylozoism?

QuoteSympathetic proof of hylozoism: imagine a stone lying on a beach, undisturbed for fifty years; impossible to think that, walking by, we could pick it up and throw it into the sea, and that it could feel nothing...

popcorn

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 08, 2019, 10:08:09 PM
Hylozoism?

Pullman called it panpsychism I think (maybe?). According to the (crap, uncited) Wikipedia page: "Nevertheless, hylozoism remains logically distinct both from early forms of animism, which personify nature, and from panpsychism, which attributes some form of consciousness or sensation to all matter."

In any case it sounds like an extraordinary claim for someone who otherwise seems quite scientifically minded, as evidenced by his writing. Hard not to wonder if he isn't drawn to the "everything is conscious" because it so closely resembles the dust idea in his novels.

PlanktonSideburns

im only conscious a couple of hours a day, a rocks got no chance

pullman you dozy cunt!

phantom_power

It sort of sounds like spiritualism for people that are too scientific to allow themselves to believe such a thing

Sin Agog

I wish Pullman had thrown the 'Have you heard of Soukous?' question to me.  I'd have nailed it with an anecdote about how, when I started to play this song by Franco & OK Jazz at a small Green Fields stage at Glastonbury on a sweltering Sunday afternoon, one blitzed punter splayed-out on the floor perked up enough to stand up and yell 'Heeeey, heeey baby!' after the opening bar, before promptly collapsing to the floor again when he realised his mistake.

Twit 2

Very humble of Buckles to say he's not a musician when he's written some awesome jingles and comedy songs, understands basic music production and can arrange and sing harmony parts.