Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

McFlymo

Quote from: selectivememory on October 12, 2019, 08:43:10 PM
Says at the end of that podcast that he's putting out two with Chris Morris next week.

I had a funny moment of pausing the latest Buxton podcast, just as he was explaining why he has two new episodes next week, only to read this post a couple of hours later. Hit play on the podcast just now and heard Buckles confirm it.

That's quite fucking exciting.

[to be fair, I have low expectations of Morris' new film, but I love the idea of Buxton and Morris having some japes and giggles together.]

mrfridge

Haha! I just tweeted Buckles the other day saying I hoped he had a chat with Morris scheduled. Fanfuckingtastic. Has CM ever been interviewed by someone who might actually ask some decent questions before now?

popcorn

I wonder what happened to that Limmy interview Buckles was supposed to do?

Blinder Data

Quote from: mrfridge on October 12, 2019, 09:44:17 PM
Haha! I just tweeted Buckles the other day saying I hoped he had a chat with Morris scheduled. Fanfuckingtastic. Has CM ever been interviewed by someone who might actually ask some decent questions before now?

I find interviewers tend to either be uninformed and stuck in a 90s timewarp or a bit too wrapped up in the Chris Morris mythology. I trust Buxton to be his usually relaxed and sensitive self.

How often do you get ppl from the comedy world interviewing Morris when neither of them will be performing or "on"? Really looking forward to it

mrfridge

25 minutes in. This is great. Just hearing Chris's voice after what seems like years has put a huge grin on my face!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: mrfridge on October 14, 2019, 06:47:24 PM
25 minutes in. This is great. Just hearing Chris's voice after what seems like years has put a huge grin on my face!

Ta, I didn't even realise it was available yet!

Well, that was utterly lovely.  Really wasn't expecting him to be quite so chatty about certain things in his personal life and his previous work.  Big old grin on my face when he started talking about the Radio 1 Music Show and the origin of Ted Maul.   Was hoping he might talk a bit about Blue Jam as that's still my favourite thing he's ever done, but nevertheless that was fab.

Roll on Part 2 later in the week.   From what Adam said at the end of this one, the 2nd part is even more rambly.  Can't wait.

VelourSpirit

ooh I didn't know it was out either, downloading it now. what an absolute dream guest.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on October 14, 2019, 07:30:46 PM
Well, that was utterly lovely.  Really wasn't expecting him to be quite so chatty about certain things in his personal life and his previous work.  Big old grin on my face when he started talking about the Radio 1 Music Show and the origin of Ted Maul.   Was hoping he might talk a bit about Blue Jam as that's still my favourite thing he's ever done, but nevertheless that was fab.

Roll on Part 2 later in the week.   From what Adam said at the end of this one, the 2nd part is even more rambly.  Can't wait.

I have nothing to add to this, as it mirrors my thoughts entirely. A fantastic episode.

And here's the Berkoff interview Chris was talking about! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04bmvvx

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on October 09, 2019, 07:39:12 AM
If rocks were sentient they would get fucking bored, sitting there all day doing nothing, not being able to move or express themselves. It sounds like a belief for nihilists

Especially if they are in a Sam Smiths pub so can't even check the internet on their phones.

wooders1978

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 10, 2019, 06:51:28 PM
I quite liked the Pullman episode, it was like having afternoon tea with an avuncular Oxford don.

Pebbles aren't sentient, though, Phil. Talking absolute bollocks there, mate.

He's going to need to retire his "have you seen my phone charger" jingle as that is EXACTLY like dear old Phil

mjwilson

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 10, 2019, 06:51:28 PM
I quite liked the Pullman episode, it was like having afternoon tea with an avuncular Oxford don.

I only hope that the percussive sounds of "Pullmann makes the tea" get turned into a jingle in future eps.

(I haven't heard the Morris one yet, so don't spoil me if he's already done it.)

Twit 2

CM is very posh, isn't he? Not a criticism, just struck me perhaps because I don't often hear him out of character.

The Roofdog

My brain refuses to imagine Brooker & Morris writing Nathan Barley together. Just flat out refuses. It's either a Brooker or Morris solo project depending on the context I'm thinking about it in.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 16, 2019, 12:50:44 AM
CM is very posh, isn't he? Not a criticism, just struck me perhaps because I don't often hear him out of character.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone use the word 'germane' in an actual conversation before. Might attempt to use it soon. Only if it's, you know, relevant.

popcorn

Just watched some of this old bit of the Adam and Joe Show where they visit the Rugrats animations.

It's reminded me why I didn't like Adam and Joe until the radio shows. They just turn up and take the piss. Why is it a funny joke to go and take the piss out of a load of people working on a popular kids' show? I suppose the staff could have been in on it but even then "the joke" seems quite meanspirited. It seems so at odds with the Adam in the Adam Buxton podcast, who just seems humble and friendly.

the

Quote from: popcorn on October 16, 2019, 01:36:38 AMJust watched some of this old bit of the Adam and Joe Show where they visit the Rugrats animations.

It's reminded me why I didn't like Adam and Joe until the radio shows. They just turn up and take the piss. Why is it a funny joke to go and take the piss out of a load of people working on a popular kids' show? I suppose the staff could have been in on it but even then "the joke" seems quite meanspirited. It seems so at odds with the Adam in the Adam Buxton podcast, who just seems humble and friendly.

That was from a series called Adam & Joe's American Animation Adventure. Their pisstakey style in that show was kind of like their presenter personas in People Place. From a production standpoint I'd wager that the staff were briefed that they were going to ask inane questions and muck about.

Twed

There's a lot of stuff that was shameful that they've renounced as they grew up a bit. You Break It You Pay For It was the height of their posh-boy privileged shittery.

marquis_de_sad

Even at the time they agonised about it and said it was extremely stressful. They're not bad lads, really.

popcorn

Quote from: the on October 16, 2019, 02:02:11 AM
That was from a series called Adam & Joe's American Animation Adventure. Their pisstakey style in that show was kind of like their presenter personas in People Place. From a production standpoint I'd wager that the staff were briefed that they were going to ask inane questions and muck about.

I think that's likely too, it's just weird how the end result (staged or not) is "Adam and Joe turn up and bully some people at work". So at odds with the latter-day Adam and Joe loveliness.

I suppose the only point I'm making here is: right, yes, I remember why I used to think Adam and Joe were cack.

Twed

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on October 16, 2019, 02:09:07 AM
Even at the time they agonised about it and said it was extremely stressful. They're not bad lads, really.
Of course, but you can see the wrongness that made them think it was a good idea to even bother with. I remember being a bit of a shit too.

It's not massively removed from fucking up a restaurant and throwing a bunch of money on the floor as they leave.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: mjwilson on October 15, 2019, 08:42:12 PM
I only hope that the percussive sounds of "Pullmann makes the tea" get turned into a jingle in future eps.

(I haven't heard the Morris one yet, so don't spoil me if he's already done it.)
I want ever interview to have one of these moments.

rasta-spouse

I never minded A&J's endless super-ironic pisstakery that much until their mate (a lovely podcast guest but a turd of a director) dropped the ball on the Hitchhikers movie and then they mumbled something about filmmaking being very difficult and moved on to the next topic.

Start losing friends, or lose your pisstaking credentials guys.

popcorn

Quote from: rasta-spouse on October 16, 2019, 02:29:09 AM
I never minded A&J's endless super-ironic pisstakery that much until their mate (a lovely podcast guest but a turd of a director) dropped the ball on the Hitchhikers movie and then they mumbled something about filmmaking being very difficult and moved on to the next topic.

Start losing friends, or lose your pisstaking credentials guys.

And have you seen The Kid Who Would Be King?!

rasta-spouse

I have no eyes anymore because of that fucking film.

Twed

Quote from: popcorn on October 16, 2019, 02:32:28 AM
And have you seen The Kid Who Would Be King?!
I don't think anybody has.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on October 16, 2019, 02:12:23 AM
Of course, but you can see the wrongness that made them think it was a good idea to even bother with. I remember being a bit of a shit too.

It's not massively removed from fucking up a restaurant and throwing a bunch of money on the floor as they leave.

It is fairly largely removed I would say, both in terms of intention and what it says about them. They were just taking a prank to its logical conclusion without really thinking it through rather than not caring what they did as long as they could pay for the damage. I doubt they used their money to pay for it either so the posh-boy privilege thing doesn't really work either. It was naivete rather than arrogance

Twed

You have really missed the point of you thought the class element of this was about personally having the funds to reimburse them.