Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I felt the same about Khan. Is Man Like Mobeen any good?

Schnapple

Really laughed at Guz's response to Adam asking him if he was "a good Muslim".

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Schnapple on November 04, 2019, 04:24:15 PM
Really laughed at Guz's response to Adam asking him if he was "a good Muslim".

That was hilarious.

Quote from: phantom_power on November 04, 2019, 11:15:26 AM
I felt the same about Khan. Is Man Like Mobeen any good?

I was going to ask the same thing. Guz is a funny man, so I can only assume that his work is funny too. That's not always the case, though.

rasta-spouse

Not seen Man Like Mobeen, but Guz seems to have 'funny bones' - whenever he turned up on the mediocre Tez Ilyas C4 Show he stood out.

That exchange about the VHS player's flap being a sexual object for Khan was rather amusing.

Brian Freeze

Man like Mobeen is still on the iPlayer. A month left to watch the first one.

joaquin closet

That Guz one was brilliant, really one of my favourites. Hadn't heard of him before, fucking funny guy.

Just relistened to the Paul Thomas Anderson one - Buckles doing his DDL-style breakfast order is up there with Louis singing Baccara for single funniest pod moment.

Anyone got any other specific bits from certain pods that they find particularly hilarious?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The freaky talking cat toy that was given as a present in one of the Cornballs Christmas episodes.

popcorn

My favourite ever Adam Buxton podcast moment is when he's talking to Louis and they pull apart the particular deliver and speech of podcasts like This American Life etc. After having given up on dozens of such podcasts because I just couldn't accept the way they spoke, it was very satisfying.

spaghetamine

I'm very happy to have stumbled upon these so late as there's such a massive back catalogue to catch up on, am planning to listen to them all but can anyone recommend any particularly good ones from the past few years?

As you may have guessed from this thread, all the Louis ones are gold. Same with Cornballs, although there is a weird tension in the earlier ones that happily soon evaporates.

The Tim Key one in the after hours art gallery is a fave of mine. Key recounting his drying on stage is a great story, wonderfully told.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: spaghetamine on November 05, 2019, 07:59:21 PM
I'm very happy to have stumbled upon these so late as there's such a massive back catalogue to catch up on, am planning to listen to them all but can anyone recommend any particularly good ones from the past few years?

I've pretty much just started on them myself. The Chris Morris ones, obviously, and I also enjoyed the ones with Jon Ronson and David Mitchell, although there's not much in there you wouldn't have already heard if you've followed them at all. I liked the Charlotte Gainsbourg one more than I was expecting to.

magval

Quote from: popcorn on November 05, 2019, 05:46:34 PM
My favourite ever Adam Buxton podcast moment is when he's talking to Louis and they pull apart the particular deliver and speech of podcasts like This American Life etc. After having given up on dozens of such podcasts because I just couldn't accept the way they spoke, it was very satisfying.

Do you know what episode this is?

popcorn

Episode 49. From about 40:00.

They start talking about the delivery of the narration specifically a bit later into it, about 52:00.

Phil_A

Quote from: joaquin closet on November 05, 2019, 03:33:24 PM
That Guz one was brilliant, really one of my favourites. Hadn't heard of him before, fucking funny guy.

Just relistened to the Paul Thomas Anderson one - Buckles doing his DDL-style breakfast order is up there with Louis singing Baccara for single funniest pod moment.

Anyone got any other specific bits from certain pods that they find particularly hilarious?

Adam's recitation of his childhood writing at the end of the Emily Dean episode was an absolute delight.

phantom_power

Interesting, or not, that Cornballs and Louis aren't in Buxton's top two bezzie mates

I watched the first Man Like Mobeen and it was pretty good. Quite slight but a nice absurdist streak running through it, and some social commentary without it being too heavy handed

perdothegit

Quote from: phantom_power on November 06, 2019, 06:57:51 AM
Interesting, or not, that Cornballs and Louis aren't in Buxton's top two bezzie mates

That was my big take-away from the episode!

mrfridge

Fucking hell, Michael Kiwanuka is a boring bloke. Seemed perfectly nice but Jesus Christ, get some quality chat man. This is the first time I've considered sacking it off half way through.

Nice to hear Buckles address the bessie mate controversy at the end there!

Twit 2

Ha, just listened to the end of the Guz podcast: I know the owner of Booja Booja company, he's one of my caning buddies (drugs not BDSM).

Beagle 2

Quote from: mrfridge on November 08, 2019, 04:59:50 PM
Fucking hell, Michael Kiwanuka is a boring bloke. Seemed perfectly nice but Jesus Christ, get some quality chat man. This is the first time I've considered sacking it off half way through.

Nice to hear Buckles address the bessie mate controversy at the end there!

Yes, I like his music but he's an extremely dull man indeed. Hard to believe he's in his thirties, he sounds like an awkward student.

Schnapple

I agree that he was sort of dull compared to many of Buckles' guests, but he seemed really pleasant and I listened on a comedown on a plane, so it worked just great for me.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 08, 2019, 08:59:45 PM
Hard to believe he's in his thirties, he sounds like an awkward student.

Tchah. I sounded like an awkward student in my thirties.

MigraineBoy

Announcement coming from his management at 10am tomorrow - perhaps Buckles finally finished his book it's a tour to hawk it.

McFlymo

Quote from: popcorn on November 05, 2019, 08:57:57 PM
Episode 49. From about 40:00.

They start talking about the delivery of the narration specifically a bit later into it, about 52:00.

It's great to revisit it this, now that I've actually listened to many of the podcasts in question.

I couldn't put up with the way Radiolab and Reply-All used those "less formal" techniques to tell stories, so I had to unsubscribe. It's a shame, because some of the stories were compelling, but the dumbed down editing (being constantly reminded of what's going on all the time in case you dared use some initiative or logic) and the "I'm talking to you, now, like we're friends..." along with the aforementioned "vocal fry" / "up-speak" voice styles were too cringey.

Heavyweight still seems the best of all these: I can stomach Jonathan Goldstein's deprecating humour and tone, as it usually feels he's appealing to my intelligence rather than talking down to me.

Anyone else fans of these podcasts?

HAVANAGILA

Adam appears on the latest episode of the Sue Perkins podcast:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7423418-adam-buxton

It's a bit more 'Adam the serious man' than 'Adam the happy-go-lucky entertainer', but none the worse for it. A LOT of chat about his Dad, and also some disarmingly frank thoughts about mid life crises and bad parenting. It's an interesting listen, just not the funniest on the whole. Though there is an absolutely mint anecdote about inappropriate family viewing right at the end!

Bad Ambassador

popcorn

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Pranet

He must have finished it then. Phew!

spaghetamine

had no idea he'd had brian eno on! really enjoyed those today at work, buckles really does have a knack for getting great conversation out of people in a very easy going, unforced fashion