Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

A mates putting him on in the Gate in Cardiff, for those who interested. I think tickets are available now?

popcorn

Quote from: HAVANAGILA on November 14, 2019, 10:11:48 PM
Adam appears on the latest episode of the Sue Perkins podcast:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7423418-adam-buxton

It's a bit more 'Adam the serious man' than 'Adam the happy-go-lucky entertainer', but none the worse for it. A LOT of chat about his Dad, and also some disarmingly frank thoughts about mid life crises and bad parenting. It's an interesting listen, just not the funniest on the whole. Though there is an absolutely mint anecdote about inappropriate family viewing right at the end!

That episode opens with the most bizarre and crass ad I've ever heard in a podcast.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: popcorn on November 16, 2019, 10:39:57 AM
That episode opens with the most bizarre and crass ad I've ever heard in a podcast.

fuck me, that lived up to the hype!

what the indeed, actuall fuck

popcorn

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 16, 2019, 12:25:43 PM
fuck me, that lived up to the hype!

what the indeed, actuall fuck

I've just clicked the link in the bit I quoted and it began with a sort of generic sketch about lamb. The one I was talking about, which I heard when I listened to the podcast on Spotify, began with Sue Perkins reading out a long and very strange press release about ice cream.

I'm still baffled by how podcasts have different ads in different places. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising but it is confusing. Are they baked into the episode audio or not?

olliebean

The version on Spotify doesn't have that for me, or the generic lamb sketch. It has a generic ad for Tesco Clubcard.

popcorn

I just tried it on Spotify again and got the lamb sketch.

edit: tried it again and got a Boots ad.

Strange technology.

PlanktonSideburns

might start a whole thread for that fucking advert

popcorn

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 16, 2019, 05:53:56 PM
might start a whole thread for that fucking advert

which one did you get?

PlanktonSideburns

the lol rape lamb recipes one?

trying to record it with soundflower but they keep changing it

PlanktonSideburns

ill stop clogging up this thread with it now, but jesus

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The latest episode with Dawn O'Porter is particularly relaxed and rambly, they presumably know each other in real life. It's nice.

This isn't an original observation, but I'll make it anyway as I can't sleep and I'm bored: we've now reached the stage where pretty much every notable comedian in Britain has appeared on a podcast, either as a guest or a host.

I must've heard Stewart Lee waxing lyrical about Ted Chippington and The Fall more times than I've heard myself breathe. That's not Stew's fault, no one has forced me to listen, and if people ask him about this stuff then of course he's going to answer in the same way, but it's just the same cycle of guests and stories again and again.

I had no idea that Sue Perkins hosted a podcast until clicking on the link in this thread. But of course she has a podcast, everyone has a podcast. Not having a go at Sue, she's a really nice, funny, empathetic person who has every right to host a podcast if she wants, but it's never-ending, isn't it? Podcast overload.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 19, 2019, 02:08:32 AM
The latest episode with Dawn O'Porter is particularly relaxed and rambly, they presumably know each other in real life. It's nice.

'Nice' is a rather insensitive, weak sauce description of this particular episode, as Dawn talks openly about the death of her mother, but it's 'nice' in the sense that listening to people talk about this stuff is 'nice'.

Just wanted to clarify. Cheers.

buntyman

Quote from: HAVANAGILA on November 14, 2019, 10:11:48 PM
It's an interesting listen, just not the funniest on the whole. Though there is an absolutely mint anecdote about inappropriate family viewing right at the end!

Glad I kept listening until the end for that, didn't think much of the podcast up til then. I had an auntie just like how he described his mother in law. I'm up all night to get batty

Custard

Just a quick heads up that Joe is on the latest Films To Be Buried With podcast, talking about his favourite films. Which is always nice to listen to

SteveDave

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 21, 2019, 10:43:47 AM
Just a quick heads up that Joe is on the latest Films To Be Buried With podcast, talking about his favourite films. Which is always nice to listen to

"Ahhh thass a great film"

phantom_power

<massive umming and ahhing apologetic preamble deleted> You're dead. You died. You're dead

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: phantom_power on November 21, 2019, 11:45:16 AM
<massive umming and ahhing apologetic preamble deleted> You're dead. You died. You're dead

Someone needs to have a word with him about that bit.

turnstyle

Buckles is on the new Marie Curie podcast, talking about his Dad's death.

He's 'interviewed' by a bereavement expert about it all, and it's a weirdly intimate conversation. At times it feels like you're earwigging on something that you really shouldn't be.

10/10 would earwig again

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on November 21, 2019, 12:06:21 PM
Someone needs to have a word with him about that bit.

I 'unno, I always enjoy his "You...died?  You died."

It's the 20 minute preamble of talking to boring creative types that tests me sometimes.  After that I enjoy it whoever's on.

popcorn

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 21, 2019, 01:12:03 PM
I 'unno, I always enjoy his "You...died?  You died."

what was this?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: popcorn on November 21, 2019, 01:27:08 PM
what was this?

It's one of the three annoying things Brett Goldstein does on his film podcast, the other things are (2) talking in small child's voice and (3) choosing guests who don't seem to have much interest in film.

beanheadmcginty

At some point in the very near future, all British podcasts will just be celebrities talking about relatives dying.

madhair60

Quote from: turnstyle on November 21, 2019, 12:57:39 PM
Buckles is on the new Marie Curie podcast, talking about his Dad's death.

He's 'interviewed' by a bereavement expert about it all, and it's a weirdly intimate conversation. At times it feels like you're earwigging on something that you really shouldn't be.

10/10 would earwig again

I can't seem to find this

Thomas

Derren Brown is the latest - anyone listened? Is it a good ramble chat or is Derren in character, performing his 'I'm honestly a genius mentalist' shtick?

Quote from: Thomas on November 24, 2019, 01:11:02 AM
Derren Brown is the latest - anyone listened? Is it a good ramble chat or is Derren in character, performing his 'I'm honestly a genius mentalist' shtick?

Is that something he does during interviews? As far as I'm aware he's always been at pains to point out that he's a magician/illusionist with a particular interest in psychology, as opposed to some sort of spooky wizard touched by genius.

There's no wanky grandstanding from old Der' in this episode, he just ramble chats casually as himself.

Ferris

Quote from: Thomas on November 24, 2019, 01:11:02 AM

I listened to this one and really enjoyed it. He has the same voice and accent as Simon Pegg which confused me a few times, but it was worth the listen.

I'm also a big fan of DB - I think his silly/clever stage shows are always worth a watch.

Shaky

Just my two cents worth about Vic - granted I only listened to the audio version of his episode, but I thought he was totally fine and actually revealed a few interesting tidbits I wasn't previously aware of. That slightly slurred, rambling mode of speech is something he does in lots of interviews whether booze is involved or not. Didn't ring any alarm bells for me at all.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Shaky on November 24, 2019, 04:28:54 AM
Just my two cents worth about Vic - granted I only listened to the audio version of his episode, but I thought he was totally fine and actually revealed a few interesting tidbits I wasn't previously aware of. That slightly slurred, rambling mode of speech is something he does in lots of interviews whether booze is involved or not. Didn't ring any alarm bells for me at all.

Let's not question Vic's drunkenness, but instead query yours... this is the wrong thread.