Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Yes, it seems to be an annual tradition on CaB to analyse the festive Adam and Joe podcast for frostiness. I never detect any.

McFlymo

It's a funny one, I found myself listening for any clues relating to their relationship, given that I'm aware of their past falling out and awkward attempts to make up again, but I suspect had there literally been zero sign of that, I still would've managed to read something into it.

So perhaps that suggests that this year they were in good spirits with each other: Joe feels a little more relaxed and upbeat (perhaps due to his film making success) and Adam is more secure in his podcast role (perhaps because it is so successful also and he has had some amazing guests lately).

When Joe mentioned that he often uses Instagram to promote Adam's past work and so it definitely isn't anything Adam should feel threatened by, I wondered if this had been something Adam had been defensive or upset about. Perhaps Adam thinks Joe's use of Instagram is Joe meddling in on Adam's world of podcasting and social media etc.

But obviously this is total speculation on my part. Who knows?

I thoroughly enjoyed Joe's "song wars" contribution.
Adam's was really fun too, in a different way. Loved them both! It brought me back to their radio days, which was lovely.

Sin Agog

Joe's What's Up Tiger Lily treatment of that children's book making it about a man called Adam who does a podcast miiiight have seemed a little condescending coming from a Hollywood director/screenwriter who was once on equal terms with him.  I think Adam has mentioned in the past how he's a little self-conscious about being a mere podcaster talking to these big successful peoples.  Obviously he's so much more than that in reality.  He's also a head on Crystal Maze.

popcorn

I think there's an argument that Adam has ended up becoming the bigger achiever. Joe's film career seems to have tanked, he had the Spielberg writing gig but that was ten years ago and his last film was terrible and no one saw it. Meanwhile Adam has built a name for himself as probably the UK's premier podcaster which a few years ago wouldn't have meant much but it has grown into a proper industry, and he produces a consistently quality product.

Sin Agog

Quote from: popcorn on December 29, 2019, 07:28:51 PM
I think there's an argument that Adam has ended up becoming the bigger achiever. Joe's film career seems to have tanked, he had the Spielberg writing gig but that was ten years ago and his last film was terrible and no one saw it. Meanwhile Adam has built a name for himself as probably the UK's premier podcaster which a few years ago wouldn't have meant much but it has grown into a proper industry, and he produces a consistently quality product.

Yeah, but I bet in Adam's old-fashioned mind it must rankle a little to have the same answer to 'What do you do?' as some nub in his basement who's watched every episode of Lost fifty times and wants to let the world know about it.

Twit 2

They're probably each a little cagey and jealous of each other's success. But also, yes, we're probably reading too much into it.

Pink Gregory

Joe was on Films to be Buried With Recently, he mentioned Adam a few time and they were all with warmth and compliments.

phantom_power

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 29, 2019, 07:20:11 PM
Joe's What's Up Tiger Lily treatment of that children's book making it about a man called Adam who does a podcast miiiight have seemed a little condescending coming from a Hollywood director/screenwriter who was once on equal terms with him.  I think Adam has mentioned in the past how he's a little self-conscious about being a mere podcaster talking to these big successful peoples.  Obviously he's so much more than that in reality.  He's also a head on Crystal Maze.

It might have seemed like that if Joe hadn't used it to childishly big himself up and make it all about him, which I think ended up being the point of the thing

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 29, 2019, 08:38:01 PM
Joe was on Films to be Buried With Recently, he mentioned Adam a few time and they were all with warmth and compliments.

Ta for recommending that. There's more to Merchant Navy from Derke than meets the eye.

the

Quote from: phantom_power on December 30, 2019, 09:05:32 AMIt might have seemed like that if Joe hadn't used it to childishly big himself up and make it all about him, which I think ended up being the point of the thing

Why must you misrepresent innocuous humour in podcasts as being some tedious imaginary power struggle?

madhair60

Why are you misinterpreting that as a misinterpretation

Dewt

Joe is just doing that thing where you pretend to be really arrogant. It's not very funny, but as somebody (who is better than all of you) who does it all the time I can understand why he does it when he can't think of anything better.

the

Quote from: madhair60 on December 30, 2019, 03:37:18 PMWhy are you misinterpreting that as a misinterpretation

Why are you misinterpreting 'misrepresent' as 'misinterpret'

phantom_power

Quote from: the on December 30, 2019, 03:35:20 PM
Why must you misrepresent innocuous humour in podcasts as being some tedious imaginary power struggle?

I was doing the opposite

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Joe wrote that thing on the train. It wasn't particularly funny, but it was just a friend taking the piss out of his friend (and himself, because it was so shit) in a deliberately childish, stupid way.

There was nothing more to it than that.

thenoise

My son got the same personalised book for Christmas.

Adam has said in the past that it was always their childhood dream to make films together.  They are both much better at radio though.  And I suspect Adam would rather make silly British comedy films, and Joe wants to make 'proper' movies in Hollywood (i.e. get offered Comic book films then get dropped from them, and repeat every few years), so it would never work out.

idunnosomename

im genuinely sad to say i couldnt be bothered to listen to this and have also lost interest in Buckles' podcast series in general. I just find it kind of a bore where he talks to some person I generally dont give a fuck about.

anyone hear how he had a Radio 4 series "You're Doing It Wrong" that basically used his podcast format for a 15-min general interest show? basically he does some semi-ironic patter about diet or whatever, it has his garage band jingles, then he does some interview with an expert about it. It was worth it for the silly bits with his "children" (Adam pitch-shifted up), which in the last episode were called "Agency" and "Greedo".

Dewt

Wow, it's like it wasn't promoted at all.

Depressingly the BBC Four website description says that "Adam takes a sideways look.." like it's 1994.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 30, 2019, 08:32:48 PM
Joe wrote that thing on the train. It wasn't particularly funny, but it was just a friend taking the piss out of his friend (and himself, because it was so shit) in a deliberately childish, stupid way.

There was nothing more to it than that.

Aye. I've only started listening to this podcast after hearing about the Chris Morris ones, and have been oblivious to the fallings out and so on. Nothing in this Christmas one struck me as spiky or difficult between them, and their laughter seemed honest and infectious. This search for some sign of unhappiness and turmoil seems desperate, unconvincing and a bit sad.

Twit 2

There has definitely been tetchiness before, though, and they've admitted to having had fall outs in the past. I don't think people care deeply, more a case of something loved being analysed to death as lots of other stuff is on here too.

amateur

Quote from: Chriddof on December 26, 2019, 10:46:08 AM
Wouldn't say ruined, but yeah. Felt like the jingle equivalent of a bad fanfic.

The jingle was very in keeping with their 6 Music show, they used to have loads of that sort of thing so it was a nice bit of nostalgia for me and probably a few other people. Rather hear that than Adam constantly making fart noises over every single bit of imaging he makes.

I thought Joe's version of the book was hilarious and very in keeping with their relationship. Could have done without the noises game though.

Sin Agog

Adam was acting a bit like a grown-up tryna get a toddler to stick to the rules of the game they thought up, even though the toddler's instinct is to immediately change it.

Or Chairman Mao/Stalin/Communism. It's because of people like Adam Buxton that 100s of millions had to die.  :(

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dewt on December 30, 2019, 10:22:45 PM
Wow, it's like it wasn't promoted at all.

Depressingly the BBC Four website description says that "Adam takes a sideways look.." like it's 1994.
to be fair most of Radio 4 is stuck in 1994

Mobbd

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 30, 2019, 08:32:48 PM
Joe wrote that thing on the train. It wasn't particularly funny...

"A stinky old surprise" though.

Jerzy Bondov

popcorn

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 13, 2020, 09:50:20 AM
ah fuck just made this joke in the other thread

I think your version was better:

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 13, 2020, 09:49:54 AM
Boom goes the brain box

1. Allows for the interpretation that the man himself was the "brain box" (ie a nerd, swot, etc), without removing the possibility that it was his brainbox that went boom (the only possible interpretation of my version). A rich double meaning.

2. Direct quote, therefore more directly relevant. My version requires re-wording, which is less elegant.

Mine is overwrought and overthought - yours is effortless. It achieves more with less.

I should just have left it to you.

thenoise

Brian Freeze

I've built up a backlog of Buxcasts and have only just listened to the Philip Pullman epsisode.

When they're talking about his woodwork, Adam commends him on his lovely "something" chest and despite rewinding a few times I can't make out what sort of chest it is.

Can you help? Its around the 32 minute point. Cheers.

popcorn