Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

He seems to have gone quiet since Christmas. Is he on a hiatus, or is my podcast app just broken?

shiftwork2

I remember something about march or even later at the end of the last one.

popcorn

Yeah he said he'd be back in spring in the last episode IIRC. This is normal - he takes a few months off to record new stuff and then comes back with another series of episodes.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on February 26, 2020, 01:38:36 AM
Yeah he said he'd be back in spring in the last episode IIRC. This is normal - he takes a few months off to record new stuff and then comes back with another series of episodes.

Can't stand this bloke but he's actually right here.

Retinend

Quote from: popcorn on October 16, 2019, 01:36:38 AM
Just watched some of this old bit of the Adam and Joe Show where they visit the Rugrats animations.

It's reminded me why I didn't like Adam and Joe until the radio shows. They just turn up and take the piss. Why is it a funny joke to go and take the piss out of a load of people working on a popular kids' show? I suppose the staff could have been in on it but even then "the joke" seems quite meanspirited. It seems so at odds with the Adam in the Adam Buxton podcast, who just seems humble and friendly.

Yeah and frankly I think the culprit is Joe. Having listened to and archived the Adam and Joe radio shows in the past, I think it is clear he is the dominant one in the relationship, and has a sourer sense of humour. I like them both: they are like McCartney and Lennon.

phantom_power

Are the radio shows available anywhere? They don't seem to be on soulseek or the bay of pirates

Dewt

Quote from: popcorn on October 16, 2019, 01:36:38 AM
Just watched some of this old bit of the Adam and Joe Show where they visit the Rugrats animations.

It's reminded me why I didn't like Adam and Joe until the radio shows. They just turn up and take the piss. Why is it a funny joke to go and take the piss out of a load of people working on a popular kids' show? I suppose the staff could have been in on it but even then "the joke" seems quite meanspirited. It seems so at odds with the Adam in the Adam Buxton podcast, who just seems humble and friendly.
Hm, yeah. I was thinking the other day about something Adam and Joe did about animation. I think it was them visiting a respected [nb]maybe Japanese, so perhaps it was when they did their Tokyo thing[/nb] animation studio and they were just taking the piss by talking about Angela Anaconda (which had nothing to do with the studio).

Angela Anaconda was great, BTW.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on March 18, 2020, 06:42:48 PM
Are the radio shows available anywhere? They don't seem to be on soulseek or the bay of pirates

I think I have all of them somewhere.
Will do some digging...

Pink Gregory

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 18, 2020, 07:23:01 PM
I think I have all of them somewhere.
Will do some digging...

Incomplete collection, but I've been listening the 6music shows on Fourble, which also has the XFM shows

Pink Gregory

obvs if you have them we will all be very happy

beanheadmcginty

No idea who made this website, but kudos. Almost all of them are here.

https://www.adamandjoearchive.org/

Puce Moment

Hat FM

finally got round to listening to the christmas episode. thought it was quite dull, predictable seemed like it was something they had to do rather than something they wanted to.

On a seperate note, i think rhlstp is much better when it comes to people i've not heard of although that could be bcause of the live setting.

Crabwalk

New episode up!

QuoteAdam talks with Dr Xand van Tulleken about the Coronavirus crisis, how it's being handled in the UK and how Adam's own family has been adjusting to social distancing.

This episode features two Skype conversations recorded on March 16 and March 22, before the announcement of the UK lockdown.

phantom_power

I like Xand. He is very good on the kids TV I have seen him on, with his twin brother. Should be a good episode

Pink Gregory

New episode with Malcolm Gladwell.

Inevitable perhaps; I liked the first series of Gladwell's podcast but rapidly dropped after that.  I can only imagine he's the archetypal liberal centrist windbag and I'll cringe when Adam agrees with him wholeheartedly, but I could be wrong.

Ho hum.

Dusty Substance

I rather enjoyed the Gladwell interview. I knew nothing about him before this episode and had only heard his name in passing, but I found him to be a very interesting figure and some of those stories he touches upon from Talking To Strangers were fascinating. I followed up the Buckles episode with Malcolm Gladwell on Joe Rogan (who isn't the meat-head everyone seems to think he is but Adam Buxton certainly isn't the British Joe Rogan).

selectivememory

Yeah, I enjoyed the Gladwell one, albeit as someone only vaguely aware of who he is and what he's written. They didn't really touch on politics, so there was nothing for me to get enraged about.

And yeah, laughed at the idea of Buckles as the British Joe Rogan.

Sin Agog

Didn't Adam hang out with Joe Rogan and Bill Burr at a bar on his podcast visit to America?  Apparently all the two Americans did was talk about conspiracy theories in reverent tones.

Pranet

The show he did for Go Faster Stripe and the extras is available as a pay what you like download until next Thursday with proceeds going to the Trussell Trust.

https://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?page=videofull&id=39289

Mister Six

beanheadmcginty

Love it when one of these descends into Adam and the guest laughing uncontrollably, as happens a few times in the new Romesh one.

Dusty Substance

To kill a bit of time during lockdown I'm catching up on the back episodes that I didn't listen to when they first dropped. I'll often skip an episode if I have little or no interest in the interviewer (not always) and am currently listening to the Philip Pullman episode. I knew literally nothing about him before listening (wouldn't even have been 100% sure if he was British) but it's a great episode. He's a very interesting man and I was fascinated by his hatred of C.S Lewis. He's an almost intimidatingly intelligent man with one foot in the past but also embraces modern technology (he's positive about Twitter) and society (briefly touches upon trans issues with a progressive attitude).

He makes a lovely old man error by conflating two bands by saying how much he enjoyed "The Vampire Killers" at Glastonbury.

EDIT: It might just be me but he has a similar voice as Michael Alexander St. John.

Mister Six

He really does! That was definitely one of Adam's best episodes - also liked the little bit where he goes off to make tea, and we hear the two men in separate areas of the house, doing their own thing.

I recall his remarks about CS Lewis, but can't remember what he said about trans people. Do you mind reminding me?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Mister Six on April 24, 2020, 12:27:59 AM
can't remember what he said about trans people. Do you mind reminding me?

I'm a douche. Listened back to pull the quote and I completely misunderstood the context. When Pullman said "[people who say]"You're not a girl, you've never been a girl, you're not allowed to..." ..... That's a position I can't agree with", he was actually talking about how he disagrees the concept of Cultural Appropriation. It's about 1h06mins into the podcast.

popcorn

Not so woke after all, eh?????

Mister Six

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 24, 2020, 01:32:45 AM
I'm a douche. Listened back to pull the quote and I completely misunderstood the context. When Pullman said "[people who say]"You're not a girl, you've never been a girl, you're not allowed to..." ..... That's a position I can't agree with", he was actually talking about how he disagrees the concept of Cultural Appropriation. It's about 1h06mins into the podcast.

Ah yeah, I remember that. I certainly agree with Pullman there, although obviously cultural appropriation is a bit broader and more complex than that one argument.

Has Adam raised cultural appropriation with anyone who's not an old white man? He only ever seems to bring it up (with a "Which I think is rather silly..." comment) when talking to people who are least likely to agree with the concept. Haven't listened to the Michaela Cork one - maybe he does it there.

Am going through them chronologically now. The Kathy Burke one is really interesting; I didn't know she was so multitalented, but I'm a cultural bum who knows nothing about theatre.

Really enjoyed the Bowiewallows, too, despite not being a proper fan of Bowie (just the best-ofs, Partridge style). He's got a splendid reading voice, and a really lovely way of writing. I should pick up his audiobook.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Crying with laughter at Adam's impression of Elton John in the latest episode. An obvious target, I know, but he absolutely nails the barking madness of that Pam Doove-like performance.

AAHR DILL DADDING!!!

And Tash Demetriou is such a great guest, she's a naturally funny person.

keir

why's his twitter account suspended?