Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: keir on April 27, 2020, 11:55:07 PM
why's his twitter account suspended?

It's not suspended, he decided to jack Twitter in.

Ferris

Only quasi-related, but Louis Theroux has just launched a podcast called Grounded in conjunction with Radio 4. It's nice, he's "out of character" in terms of his documentaries and the first ep went up yesterday, nice long chat with Jon Ronson.

Recommend.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 28, 2020, 01:59:21 AM
Only quasi-related, but Louis Theroux has just launched a podcast called Grounded in conjunction with Radio 4. It's nice, he's "out of character" in terms of his documentaries and the first ep went up yesterday, nice long chat with Jon Ronson.

Recommend.

Ta! I had no idea. About to listen now.

AllisonSays

I really enjoyed Jon Ronson and Louise Theroux's chat, thanks for pointing it out! It was interesting to hear them address head-on the strange proximity of their oeuvres over the last couple of decades, and the sometimes tricky ethical positions they find themselves in. Although because Louis is so genial and silly on the Buxton podcasts, it was a little sad to hear him in that format, but adopting a slightly more BBC-ified restraint.

Quote from: AllisonSays on April 28, 2020, 04:17:24 PM
I really enjoyed Jon Ronson and Louise Theroux's chat, thanks for pointing it out! It was interesting to hear them address head-on the strange proximity of their oeuvres over the last couple of decades, and the sometimes tricky ethical positions they find themselves in. Although because Louis is so genial and silly on the Buxton podcasts, it was a little sad to hear him in that format, but adopting a slightly more BBC-ified restraint.

I guess Louis has to be a bit more sensible in this sort of context, he can't really muck about as he does with Buckles. Also, they've been friends since they were kids, so they have a natural silly chemistry.

Anyway, I enjoyed this too. I thought it was admirably honest of Louis to admit that, even though he likes and admires Ronson, he still can't help resenting him slightly. If anything you'd think it would be the other way 'round, as Louis appeared on the scene after Ronson, covered very similar subjects, and went on to become a household name. Then again, Ronson is a highly respected journalist who's probably not interested in being a semi-permanent TV fixture.

There's always been room for them both, as although their styles are superficially similar, Ronson is more of a gonzo journalist, whereas  Louis, especially in the last 20 years, has a more passive and serious approach.

And I agree, it was interesting to hear them talk about the ethics of what they do. They're obviously both good people who think deeply about this stuff.

phes

Really enjoyed the Tash Demetriou one. She's a funny bugger. Obviously enjoyed the Elton ribbing but the highlight was her repeatedly misunderstanding Buxton's prompting her to sing those lyrics. Harked back to some of the great misunderstandings on A+J phone ins.

I'm very late to the AB podcast and just worked my way through them the last few months. A couple of those early Theroux ones are joyous. The whole game-changer/this is a completely new way of doing things had me wheezing in the supermarket. There's a part of me that wishes Louis and Cornballs hadn't aspired to more than larking about with their friends because when they and Buxton hit the spot I get more in a few minutes than I've got from the sum totals of their chosen careers combined. The selfish shits!

Quote from: phes on April 28, 2020, 05:47:21 PM
Really enjoyed the Tash Demetriou one. She's a funny bugger. Obviously enjoyed the Elton ribbing but the highlight was her repeatedly misunderstanding Buxton's prompting her to sing those lyrics. Harked back to some of the great misunderstandings on A+J phone ins.

I loved that bit too. Her complete inability to understand what it was she was supposed to be doing - and I don't think she was pretending to misunderstand for comic effect - was brilliant. She really is such a funny person, she just has it.

Quote from: phes on April 28, 2020, 05:47:21 PM
I'm very late to the AB podcast and just worked my way through them the last few months. A couple of those early Theroux ones are joyous. The whole game-changer/this is a completely new way of doing things had me wheezing in the supermarket. There's a part of me that wishes Louis and Cornballs hadn't aspired to more than larking about with their friends because when they and Buxton hit the spot I get more in a few minutes than I've got from the sum totals of their chosen careers combined. The selfish shits!

I'm going to listen to them again now. They are, as you say, joyous. Louis singing Yes Sir, I Can Boogie is one of the funniest things I've ever heard in a podcast.

McFlymo

Tash was amazing! That whole episode had me giggling. So fun to hear them both crack up so often, as well.

PaulTMA

That's his audiobook out today.

EDIT:  Bollocks, it's not Friday yet.

EDIT AGAIN:  It's on Audible now!

Thanks for recommending the Tash Demetriou one, I would have skipped it normally since the name didn't ring a bell. It was really good.
Loved her Elton John impression.

SteveDave

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 30, 2020, 12:10:25 PM
Thanks for recommending the Tash Demetriou one, I would have skipped it normally since the name didn't ring a bell. It was really good.
Loved her Elton John impression.

Her other two episodes are the reason I started watching "Stath Lets Flats" as I initially thought it was going to be something like the Phone Shop series for some reason.

popcorn

Quote from: PaulTMA on April 30, 2020, 11:55:24 AM
That's his audiobook out today.

EDIT:  Bollocks, it's not Friday yet.

EDIT AGAIN:  It's on Audible now!

No one talking about this yet? Listened to the first hour on my ramble yesterday and it is predictably comforting and charming. When the Ramblechat jingle kicked in I found it oddly moving and exciting, like when you hear the souped-up version of the Ducktales theme in the Ducktales movie.

selectivememory

I started listening to it yesterday. I don't usually do audiobooks, but in Adam's case I think I'd rather listen to it than read it. And it is a bit like listening to an episode of his show.

It's much funnier than I was expecting. There are very few comedians whose autobiographies I'd be interested in reading, but luckily Adam seems to be treating this as a genuine comedy project as well (whereas Limmy's autobiography was quite dry and dull in places, and I'm not entirely sure why he even wrote it), constantly undercutting himself to make a stupid joke, or just bluntly and crudely ending a sentence about a serious topic. It made me laugh when he referred to his grandfather as being some lieutenant's
Spoiler alert
"war bitch"
[close]
when he was talking about how he got involved in WW1.

I like that he spends a chapter just talking about times he got annoyed with people being noisy in quiet zones on trains. And all the little "ramble" asides break it up nicely. Have to say his dad is kind of a fascinating character as well, and it's probably going to be no surprise to anyone who listens to his pod frequently that his dad and Bowie feature heavily.

ProvanFan

Quote from: selectivememory on May 02, 2020, 01:17:53 PM
(whereas Limmy's autobiography was quite dry and dull in places, and I'm not entirely sure why he even wrote it),

Sexual cleansing

phes

Quote from: selectivememory on May 02, 2020, 01:17:53 PM
I started listening to it yesterday.... his dad is kind of a fascinating character as well, and it's probably going to be no surprise to anyone who listens to his pod frequently that his dad and Bowie feature heavily.
Does this cost money, is there a legit way to listen free? I like AB but I'm not very well off and fairly certain he won't miss my money.

I get the impression over the years that his dad was a bit of a low grade bastard and was responsible for the repression and shame Adam has around normal things like sex or having a shit. Nothing all that unusual for a Dad of his age or conservative persuasion, I guess. And Adam's whimsy and playfulness is probably rooted in that and complemented Joe's more blunt and edgy (sorry) nature perfectly.

popcorn

Quote from: phes on May 02, 2020, 02:23:57 PM

Does this cost money, is there a legit way to listen free? I like AB but I'm not very well off and fairly certain he won't miss my money.

You can sign up for a free Audible trial and download it, I think.

Recommend.

Thanks for this, I really enjoyed it, though I wish Louis had asked Jon why on earth he sounds so northern, when the subject of accents came up. I can't understand where it comes from. He'd only lived in Cardiff and London before emigrating to the US, hadn't he?

A new Adam/Louis episode has been released today. Hooray!

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: His Name Is Death on May 02, 2020, 02:40:04 PM
Thanks for this, I really enjoyed it, though I wish Louis had asked Jon why on earth he sounds so northern, when the subject of accents came up. I can't understand where it comes from. He'd only lived in Cardiff and London before emigrating to the US, hadn't he?

He spent a lot of time in close proximity to Frank Sidebottom. Maybe he absorbed the northern radiation emitted from that giant head.

Schnapple

Louis is so funny when he's in casual Buckles mode.

Ferris

Quote from: Schnapple on May 02, 2020, 04:11:26 PM
Louis is so funny when he's in casual Buckles mode.

He has a new podcast 'Grounded' where he's just chatting to people. First one was with Jon Ronson, and really nice. Same sort of casual chat as with Buckles, if anyone wants more of that.

Spoiler alert
Louis mentions an argument he had on lockdown with his wife about an avocado "but I don't think it was really about the avocado" which really made me laugh. Same slightly dejected delivery I've only heard him use on Buckles' podcast.
[close]

Pranet

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 02, 2020, 03:40:11 PM
He spent a lot of time in close proximity to Frank Sidebottom. Maybe he absorbed the northern radiation emitted from that giant head.

Yes I thought he lived in Manchester for a bit.

Quote from: His Name Is Death on May 02, 2020, 02:53:52 PM
A new Adam/Louis episode has been released today. Hooray!

Excellent news! They're always a delight.

Ferris

Recommend.

I have absolutely no memory of making this recommendation, which is why I plugged it again not 10 posts later.

What an absolute fucking dolt.

lankyguy95

There's no better podcast partnership than Louis and Buckles.

popcorn

Louie's response to Adam releasing his audiobook before the physical edition made me larf and larf. Had to rewind it. "Buxton wants to do what?!"

Quote from: popcorn on May 02, 2020, 09:08:35 PM
Louie's response to Adam releasing his audiobook before the physical edition made me larf and larf. Had to rewind it. "Buxton wants to do what?!"

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, but the highlight for me was at the very end. Louis saying:
Spoiler alert
"So do you think that was about Paul?"
[close]
He's such a funny fucker.

lankyguy95

I was guffawing pretty quickly at the
Spoiler alert
"I'm pissing out of your microphone onto your leg"
[close]

Quote from: His Name Is Death on May 02, 2020, 02:40:04 PM
He has the exact same accent as Dobby from Peep Show, utterly shocked to find out he was born and raised in Wales.

keir