Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: keir on May 02, 2020, 11:49:32 PM

I dont think that's him. He was @adambuxton2 or something.

idunnosomename

no he def had that handle, but clearly someone tried to snatch it after he deleted and they got suspended for being an imposter. shame he didn't just. not tweet

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on May 02, 2020, 09:08:35 PM
Louie's response to Adam releasing his audiobook before the physical edition made me larf and larf. Had to rewind it. "Buxton wants to do what?!"

I bought Buckles' audiobook on the back of the podcast, and it is very funny. Like an Adam Buxton podcast, but structured and he's the guest. I'm enjoying it anyway.

popcorn

The bit where Adam is describing his dad's novel had me chuckling like a loon on my evening stroll.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on May 03, 2020, 01:53:49 AM
The bit where Adam is describing his dad's novel had me chuckling like a loon on my evening stroll.

The audiobook has a line about his dad
Spoiler alert
being diagnosed with terminal cancer "he was ninety one so well into bonus territory, but still not what you want to hear"
[close]

olliebean

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on May 02, 2020, 11:32:27 PM
He has the exact same accent as Dobby from Peep Show, utterly shocked to find out he was born and raised in Wales.

I think he's one of those people who picks up accents really easily from whoever he's spending time with. A few years back he had one of those urban London yoof accents for a while.

phantom_power

Love the jingle for chapter 3

Bad Ambassador

"Like picking up loose change."

Fucking hell, that was amazing.

Mister Six

Sorry to be a total dweeb, but when you buy an audio book online, how does it work? Do they just send you an MP3? Is there a specific app for listening to audio books? I don't want to get halfway through a 10-hour book only for it to reset or something.

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on May 04, 2020, 02:08:15 PM
Sorry to be a total dweeb, but when you buy an audio book online, how does it work? Do they just send you an MP3? Is there a specific app for listening to audio books? I don't want to get halfway through a 10-hour book only for it to reset or something.

I am sure there are other ways of doing it, but most people use the Audible app, which just keeps all your audiobooks in a library, saves your place, lets you move between chapters etc. It's owned by Amazon so you just get your audiobook there and it shows up in Audible. There might be other ways of getting audiobooks into Audible but haven't tried, maybe it only plays stuff you get on Amazon.

You can get a free Audible trial with free credit to get a book, so if anyone wants to listen to Adam's book I'd recommend that as painless and cheap.

Mister Six

Cheers. I like him enough (and have saved enough money in lockdown) that I'll pay full whack for it.

Going to look up a non-Audible solution, because fuck Amazon, but thanks anyway!

Puce Moment

Quote from: Mister Six on May 04, 2020, 02:19:26 PM
Cheers. I like him enough (and have saved enough money in lockdown) that I'll pay full whack for it.

Going to look up a non-Audible solution, because fuck Amazon, but thanks anyway!

That would be good. I also want to give buckles full whack!

Old Nehamkin

Surely it's Amazon rather than the author who takes the hit when they give you a free book credit?

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on May 04, 2020, 02:19:26 PM

I use the apple books app, it's good. Apple just as bad as amazing of course...

popcorn

TBH I doubt there's a way of getting the audiobook legally that doesn't involve using some nefarious corporate service.

Schnapple

Just finished it, including Joe's typically brusque but affectionate deconstruction as a bonus podcast. Thought it started out a little bit flippant and heavy on the pop culture nostalgia. By the end, I was quite emotional and the way Buckles ties in the Sad/Bad Dad stuff with his formative years is very enjoyable.

The whole discussion about the cremaster muscle had me properly giggling like a loon whilst driving. Lots of other fantastic bits too, Louis is always great value on this.

Mango Chimes

I'm glad Louis is comfortable with these going out. His own podcast chat with Ronson was diverting, but he's in broadcaster mode aside from the occasional giggle. Telling Adam to
Spoiler alert
go fuck himself
[close]
really made me laugh.

Jackson K Pollock

Desperate to hear Ramble Book, but can anyone tell me if it's available in the US yet? I've searched Amazon, Audible and Apple Books and nothing shows for me at all. And I'm more than happy to pay full whack for it to support Count Buckules, I'm just not finding it anywhere...

The Bumlord

Yeah, you should be able to use UK Audible. And I think it's two free audiobooks when you sign up now.

Use the two free credits, download books, cancel subscription. You keep the books.

Blinder Data

I would definitely listen to an episode of The Adam and Louis Show.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Utterdrivel on May 05, 2020, 09:44:36 AM
Yeah, you should be able to use UK Audible. And I think it's two free audiobooks when you sign up now.

Use the two free credits, download books, cancel subscription. You keep the books.

I signed up for Adam's book. You get one free credit. Tempted to fork out for an extra month to hear Limmy's autobiography while I'm here

beanheadmcginty

You get two free book credits if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber, even if you are just on the free Amazon Prime trial. So that's what I did. Double rinsed Bezos.

thugler

Can anyone recommend anything for the 2nd free credit I've just realised I have?

popcorn

Well, there's the Louis Theroux memoir...

thugler

Quote from: popcorn on May 05, 2020, 02:17:18 PM
Well, there's the Louis Theroux memoir...

Already gobbled that one down

PaulTMA

Enjoying Buxton's a lot but christ his previously well-known dislike of train disturbances seem to be the bane of his very existence

thr0b

Quote from: thugler on May 05, 2020, 02:12:02 PM
Can anyone recommend anything for the 2nd free credit I've just realised I have?

If you've not already listened to them, you really can't do much better than the Alan Partridge ones.

phes

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 05, 2020, 02:33:51 PM
Enjoying Buxton's a lot but christ his previously well-known dislike of train disturbances seem to be the bane of his very existence

He lives in a shed in Norfolk and occasionally goes on a train to interview people. I think his problem is actually with people and this is the only place he encounters them. Also he is comically repressed from refusing to argue with his wife or ever comfortably enjoy a shit. He can't even watch sex scenes without closing his eyes and sucking a boiled sweet

I love Buxton and will be eternally grateful for most of what he been involved in, but I'm on C9 and finding this a bit of a slog