Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:42:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braintree

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 11, 2020, 04:20:32 PM
I haven't listened to the audiobook but just Buckles description on the podcast about how much in debt his dad got into just to send his son to one of the poshest schools in the country really boggled my mind. He could easily have sent him to a cheaper school and have got a decent quality education for his son.

Basically he has to constantly sacrifice the lifestyle he feels he should have anyway. The Earls Court flat is sold up and they are forced to move to Clapham (which is fancy now, not so much in the mid-eighties) and despite living in London they continue to send Adam to board at Westminster (presumably at this time his other two siblings are boarding somewhere too). I think education is very important but I think it is clear that circle Adam found himself in has always overshadowed him. Nigel paid thousands to produce someone who still feels and acts like an outsider to that life.

I am still in the midst of it and I enjoy his storytelling but I am very suspicious of how he remembers his school days despite being in his fifties with such clarity. I would get it if he really hadn't achieved any success but I find it sad he focuses on that instead of his achievements the thread throughout is a lack of confidence.

On the other hand there is a section early on where he is clearly disappointed that Bowie fawns over Gervais and attributes this to Bowie disliking Adam and Joe but I did have to wonder if Bowie even knew who he was...Buxton's confidence that he knew him and chosen not to fawn is exactly the confidence Nigel Buxton spent thousands of pounds on.

popcorn

The thing is that sending Adam to that school did set him up - it meant he met Joe and went on to form a successful comedy duo. Who knows if he might have been even more successful somewhere else, but I wonder if his dad ever even recognised what his mental level of financial sacrifice did actually achieve.

Dewt

Quote from: Braintree on May 11, 2020, 06:18:12 PM
I am still in the midst of it and I enjoy his storytelling but I am very suspicious of how he remembers his school days despite being in his fifties with such clarity.
I'm not fifty but I have this argument a lot: some people have really good long-term memories for specific things. Maybe not total recall of everything, but a lot of stuff just gets embedded in your memory permanently. I can remember the tiniest details of a lot of things that happened 30 years ago (people who can't do this will say "you're just filling in the blanks" but no, you don't understand). People doubt it, but a lot of it is verifiable (not least birthdays and phone numbers).

Can't remember people's names from yesterday though.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on May 11, 2020, 06:22:16 PM
The thing is that sending Adam to that school did set him up - it meant he met Joe and went on to form a successful comedy duo. Who knows if he might have been even more successful somewhere else, but I wonder if his dad ever even recognised what his mental level of financial sacrifice did actually achieve.

Yeah I thought this as I was listening to the audiobook. He's unhappy and feels like his dad's sacrifice was misguided... except it wasn't, was it, because I'm listening to the audiobook about it (that I paid $24 for).

He paints himself as an outsider which is totally fair enough, but he clearly benefited from the sacrifice that was made for him. If anything, we should all be writing letters to John le Carré to borrow eye watering sums of cash to educate our offspring.

I know nothing about his dad, but couldn't he chum his way into another plum gig? I thought that was '80s Fleet Street journalism 101.

phes

Hasn't it come up a few times that Buxton was always a dedicated diary keeper?

wooders1978

Quote from: popcorn on May 11, 2020, 06:22:16 PM

It was Adams brother, not Adam - so fuck knows if it was worth it

Thomas

On the other hand there is a section early on where he is clearly disappointed that Bowie fawns over Gervais and attributes this to Bowie disliking Adam and Joe but I did have to wonder if Bowie even knew who he was...Buxton's confidence that he knew him and chosen not to fawn is exactly the confidence Nigel Buxton spent thousands of pounds on.

I'm sure I recall that Bowie was to be interviewed by Adam and Joe at some point, but pulled out. Ah, here it is:

QuoteWhen Bowie did Glastonbury in 2000, he was wandering around backstage and Alan Yentob said he'd go fetch Bowie. We were so excited, especially when Bowie said he'd only do one interview: either Jo Wiley or Adam and Joe. In the end he did neither and he disappeared on his Bowie bus.

I haven't listened to the audiobook, but I have listened to the latest ep with Louis and it's fulltime hilario.

Blinder Data

In one of the Bowie wallow pods, the Irish poker player/marathon runner who struck up an email relationship with comedy fan Bowie said he sent him some A&J clips, which were positively received - so Bowie was aware of A&J.

Mobbd

Quote from: andy33 on May 09, 2020, 10:52:44 AM
Here's some more Adam & Louis, in case you missed it the first time (I did). It's a bit less "mates dicking about" than the podcast, but a live audience at the Southbank Centre will do that. https://southbankcentre.co.uk/blog/southbank-centre-book-podcast-louis-theroux-conversation

Listening to this right now after a shitey day. It's smashing. Thanks mate.

Dewt

About an eighth of the way through this. Much enjoy. I really liked that he mentioned that the
Spoiler alert
bird singing sounded like A Higher State of Consciousness
[close]
, because I thought the exact same thing.

phes

Louis mentioned the polyamory again, at Southbank, something he's brought up a couple of times lately. I wonder if it's been playing on his mind as he mentioned feeling at odds with the criticism that he'd approached it from a heteronormative perspective.

What was the higher state of consciousness bird? I've missed this, which podcast? Or was it the book?

Thomas

Quote from: phes on May 11, 2020, 11:00:31 PM
Louis mentioned the polyamory again, at Southbank, something he's brought up a couple of times lately. I wonder if it's been playing on his mind as he mentioned feeling at odds with the criticism that he'd approached it from a heteronormative perspective horny

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Spoiler alert
Thanks, Daddy. I love you. Bye.
[close]

Damn you, Buckles, you made me cry.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 12, 2020, 12:07:13 AM
Spoiler alert
Thanks, Daddy. I love you.BBBYYYYYYYYIIIIEEEEEE!

LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE
LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE
[close]

Damn you, Buckles, you made me cry.

I know, I got the reference. Hence why it was so touching when placed in an entirely different context.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 12, 2020, 07:38:56 AM
I know, I got the reference. Hence why it was so touching when placed in an entirely different context.

Ah sorry didn't realise it was a podcast reference!

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 12, 2020, 08:29:46 AM
Ah sorry didn't realise it was a podcast reference!

S'okay, I haven't slept. Sorry if my last post sounded arsey.

Braintree

Quote from: phes on May 11, 2020, 06:47:42 PM
Hasn't it come up a few times that Buxton was always a dedicated diary keeper?

I missed this and that makes more sense. To me, it felt like a man obsessing over the past where he was young (and didn't always have a great time but he was young)

phes

I did find myself thinking really, he had those thoughts on several occasions, though he may have just been a brighter and more thoughtful child than I

Mister Six

On the other hand there is a section early on where he is clearly disappointed that Bowie fawns over Gervais and attributes this to Bowie disliking Adam and Joe but I did have to wonder if Bowie even knew who he was

On the Bowiewallow podcast that Adam did after Bowie died, As interviews a pen-friend of Bowie's who says that the Thin White Duke was actually a fan of BaaaadDaaaaad. Seriously.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dewt on May 11, 2020, 06:42:59 PM
I'm not fifty but I have this argument a lot: some people have really good long-term memories for specific things. Maybe not total recall of everything, but a lot of stuff just gets embedded in your memory permanently. I can remember the tiniest details of a lot of things that happened 30 years ago (people who can't do this will say "you're just filling in the blanks" but no, you don't understand). People doubt it, but a lot of it is verifiable (not least birthdays and phone numbers).

Can't remember people's names from yesterday though.

I think the circumstances of your childhood are important too. I grew apart from (and ended up living thousands of miles away from) my school chums, and I barely ever think about those times, whereas Adam made a key comedy partnership with Joe and a lifelong friendship with Louis (and Garth Jennings?) there, so he's much more likely to recall those times and keep those memories alive and close by.

jimboslice

Quote from: Mister Six on May 12, 2020, 03:09:40 PM
I think the circumstances of your childhood are important too. I grew apart from (and ended up living thousands of miles away from) my school chums, and I barely ever think about those times, whereas Adam made a key comedy partnership with Joe and a lifelong friendship with Louis (and Garth Jennings?) there, so he's much more likely to recall those times and keep those memories alive and close by.

I don't think Garth was mentioned much at all, and he's 3 years younger than Buxton too so I'm guessing they didn't meet at Westminster. There's not much talk about the later years at all really. Not much mention of his kids or how he met his wife either (other than the daft argument bits), but I suppose that's understandable. Unless I dozed off and missed those bits? Feels like there's more material to be mined anyway, and that if this does well then Buckles Book Two is on the cards.

I really enjoyed it anyway. Exactly what you'd want as a fan.

I connected with the way that favourite albums weren't immediately accessible, with most Bowie albums not really clicking for him until a few listens. I had the exact same experience with Radiohead in my teens, and still find it completely unacceptable that people try and rate and review albums on the day of their release.

Some nice playlists on spotify anyway.

Dewt

Quote from: Mister Six on May 12, 2020, 03:09:40 PM
Also it's not like he's being quizzed on arbitrary moments from his past and recalling them with accuracy. He's writing about things that stuck with him.

thugler

Just finished this. Felt that it wouldn't really have worked without the audio element. There's some many voices and the chapter intros are fairly essential I think.

Very surprised at how little there was of A&J stuff or anything other than his dad and school/early post school years. I was quite worried it was going to be shit initially after a weak opening chapter, but parts of it were really excellent, mainly the dad stuff and some of the more revealing youth bits which were quite relatable. The bowie stuff is a bit tired and not that interesting when you know everything about bowie already. There's definitely enough for a 2nd book I would have thought, I was expecting to hear about his adventures in art school, where he presumably had a much better time. He seemed inclined to dwell on the less pleasant stuff. Overall I enjoyed it very much and could have let it go on a bit longer. Theroux seemed to be a better writer though.

DrGreggles

Blimey! I love how Buckles hardly ever tells you who he's booked for the show, so things like this come as such a lovely surprise.

Why did Adam sit on that interview for so long? Rodgers is such a fascinating, entertaining man. One of the best episodes yet.

phes

Oh, I tuned out of this after 20 minutes because it was feeling like one of those awkward starstruck ones. Did I miss a good podcast, or is it just interesting on account of Rodgers having a great story?

Twit 2

Is this the one where he reads from the crap kids' jokes book and the guest is politely unimpressed? Or did he cut it out?

Quote from: phes on May 18, 2020, 07:20:08 AM
Oh, I tuned out of this after 20 minutes because it was feeling like one of those awkward starstruck ones. Did I miss a good podcast, or is it just interesting on account of Rodgers having a great story?

Not quite sure what you mean by that. How can a podcast be 'just' interesting if the guest is an incredibly interesting person who's happy to talk about their incredibly interesting life? Yes, he has a great story.