Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 18, 2020, 07:31:07 AM
Is this the one where he reads from the crap kids' jokes book and the guest is politely unimpressed? Or did he cut it out?

Nope, it's all in there! His chat with Rodgers was going really well, and then he decided to do that. The awkwardness is rather sweet.

phes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 18, 2020, 10:46:34 AM
Not quite sure what you mean by that. How can a podcast be 'just' interesting if the guest is an incredibly interesting person who's happy to talk about their incredibly interesting life? Yes, he has a great story.

I didn't articulate myself well at all. I started to feel like it was going down a path of Rogers just recounting bits from his auto bio. In retrospect I think I just shit myself a bit on Buxton's behalf and projected that. Returned to it and listened through and it was a nice conversation, and hats off to him for doing his research

popcorn

Wasn't sold on this George bloke. The Beauty of Union is a terrible title for a poem even before you know it's written for a royal wedding. Trite poems about how nothing is impossible, oh dear.

bgmnts

Only just started listening to some of these.

Kind of up and down on Adam Buxton, his chat interview style is much better than Herring but god sometimes he's just so wet and naval gazing. His obsession with his partnership with Joe Cornish just seems a tad depressing.

Mister Six

I've been running through them in chronological order after having listened to all of the people I recognise, and am really enjoying it. Not quite sure what you mean about "wet" - he has a more placid personality than some, but that usually reaps dividends as it creates a space for people to open up into. I find him much more listenable than more peppy or aggressive interviewers, certainly.

I do know what you mean about navel gazing though. Take a shot every time Adam mentions Bowie or his Twitter anxiety or cultural appropriation! But I'm generally interested in him as a person too, and I've found him opening up about his dad's death and some of his insecurities to be very moving. And the Bowiewallow two-parter was great (I say this as someone with only the most superficial knowledge of/interest in Bowie).

Anyway, just got one with ep 40, Zadie Smith, which was a bit of a struggle as I'm not really familiar with her work and didn't find her very engaging on her own merits, but I liked the bit where she quietly dismantled the notion of having nostalgia for the past. The only one that was a true chore was Matt Berry, who just came across as one of the most boring people alive. Really enjoyed the Brian Eno ones - don't know much about his music, but thought he came across as a really interesting, engaged and thoughtful chap.

Have already listened to 41, 43 and 45 (Marc Maron, Nick Kroll and Edgar Wright, although I can't remember a thing about Wright's so I might relisten to that) so next up is 42, Bridget Christie and Steve Mason. Who? I'll find out soon! Looking forward to listening to the second Kathy Burke one, too.

Twit 2

Quote from: popcorn on May 29, 2020, 06:22:31 PM
Wasn't sold on this George bloke. The Beauty of Union is a terrible title for a poem even before you know it's written for a royal wedding. Trite poems about how nothing is impossible, oh dear.

Spoken word poetry always sucks. Not poetic enough to be poetry, not musical enough to be music. It's a format jinxed from the start. It's the same with comedy songs (rarely as funny as something not in a song, rarely as musical as good non-comedy songs). It's also an absolute haven for chancers with no technique and nothing to say (eg Kate Tempest, shudder).

I wonder why Mpanga turned down the MBE because Empire but accepted a commission for the Lizard Wedding (did the latter come with cash?)?

bgmnts

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 06:43:59 PM
I've been running through them in chronological order after having listened to all of the people I recognise, and am really enjoying it. Not quite sure what you mean about "wet" - he has a more placid personality than some, but that usually reaps dividends as it creates a space for people to open up into. I find him much more listenable than more peppy or aggressive interviewers, certainly.

I do know what you mean about navel gazing though. Take a shot every time Adam mentions Bowie or his Twitter anxiety or cultural appropriation! But I'm generally interested in him as a person too, and I've found him opening up about his dad's death and some of his insecurities to be very moving. And the Bowiewallow two-parter was great (I say this as someone with only the most superficial knowledge of/interest in Bowie).

Anyway, just got one with ep 40, Zadie Smith, which was a bit of a struggle as I'm not really familiar with her work and didn't find her very engaging on her own merits, but I liked the bit where she quietly dismantled the notion of having nostalgia for the past. The only one that was a true chore was Matt Berry, who just came across as one of the most boring people alive. Really enjoyed the Brian Eno ones - don't know much about his music, but thought he came across as a really interesting, engaged and thoughtful chap.

Have already listened to 41, 43 and 45 (Marc Maron, Nick Kroll and Edgar Wright, although I can't remember a thing about Wright's so I might relisten to that) so next up is 42, Bridget Christie and Steve Mason. Who? I'll find out soon! Looking forward to listening to the second Kathy Burke one, too.

By wet I suppose I meant like weak, not having a very strong character, a bit middle class apologetic passive aggressive type maybe I don't know. His voice grates me to high heaven as well, but i'm irritable. I definitely like his enthusiasm and ability to talk about anything with his quite varied guests. Its great listening to Frank Skinner, Charlotte Church, Chris Morris and Nicky Wire all on the podcast.

phes

Church was great. That is all

bgmnts

Quote from: phes on May 29, 2020, 07:40:23 PM
Church was great. That is all

I cannot believe she's 34, that really blew my mind.

phes

Was lovely that she'd written to Adam to ask if she could be on the podcast. She was real AF. Some of my favourites that I've listened to lately have been the Church one, the second Tash Demetriou and David Sedaris. And of course all the Joe and Theroux ones

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 06:43:59 PM

Imagine what gets cut out.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on May 29, 2020, 07:39:05 PM
By wet I suppose I meant like weak, not having a very strong character, a bit middle class apologetic passive aggressive type maybe I don't know. His voice grates me to high heaven as well, but i'm irritable. I definitely like his enthusiasm and ability to talk about anything with his quite varied guests. Its great listening to Frank Skinner, Charlotte Church, Chris Morris and Nicky Wire all on the podcast.

I love his voice - warm, familiar and kind. I think he has a strong character, but not a forceful personality, which as I said counts in his favour for me  - he's able to be funny and charming without (for the most part) getting in the way of the people he's interviewing. I find him a lot more listenable than Marc Maron, for example, whom I just find kind of wearying.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on May 30, 2020, 07:32:15 AMI think he has a strong character, but not a forceful personality, which as I said counts in his favour for me  - he's able to be funny and charming without (for the most part) getting in the way of the people he's interviewing.

Yes, it's why Sara Barron is annoying until she finally drops the spiky act towards the end of her episode. That combative schtick doesn't work when you're directing it at someone so amiable. I think he was right to throw away those two podcast festival episodes, because they feel strangely curtailed. George the Poet came across exactly like someone who went to Cambridge and got a BBC Radio programme about poetry.

I found the Nile Rodgers one a slog too. It was much more like a WTF episode, going through the career of a man I'm not very interested in. The Laura Marling one was much better, even though he didn't have much history with her, because it was a more relaxed ramblechat.
Spoiler alert
Laughing from her bum.
[close]

He's on a recent Pappy's podcast, by the way, for fans of him getting angry about minor infractions.

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on May 30, 2020, 07:32:15 AM
I love his voice - warm, familiar and kind. I think he has a strong character, but not a forceful personality, which as I said counts in his favour for me  - he's able to be funny and charming without (for the most part) getting in the way of the people he's interviewing. I find him a lot more listenable than Marc Maron, for example, whom I just find kind of wearying.

Agree with all of this.

thugler

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 29, 2020, 07:15:50 PM
Spoken word poetry always sucks. Not poetic enough to be poetry, not musical enough to be music. It's a format jinxed from the start. It's the same with comedy songs (rarely as funny as something not in a song, rarely as musical as good non-comedy songs). It's also an absolute haven for chancers with no technique and nothing to say (eg Kate Tempest, shudder).

I wonder why Mpanga turned down the MBE because Empire but accepted a commission for the Lizard Wedding (did the latter come with cash?)?

Yeah largely agree with this. It seems be more about the razzmatazz of the delivery, as well as a bit of a sincerity/personal trauma contest. Very often just makes me cringe.

Puce Moment

Yeah, I finally deleted the WTF? podcast from my library because I realised I wasn't even able to listen to the interviews of guests I like. He has become truly interminable.

Delighted to hear that Church has done the podcast - she was hilarious and brilliant at Stew's ATP.

Mister Six

Quote from: phes on May 29, 2020, 07:47:22 PM
Was lovely that she'd written to Adam to ask if she could be on the podcast. She was real AF. Some of my favourites that I've listened to lately have been the Church one, the second Tash Demetriou and David Sedaris. And of course all the Joe and Theroux ones

All the Garth Jennings ones are good too. He has the same easy camaraderie with Adam that Joe and Louis do, but none of their aloofness or spikiness, which makes their episodes together even more endearing and chilled.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 30, 2020, 12:53:36 PM
I think he was right to throw away those two podcast festival episodes, because they feel strangely curtailed.

Not listened to the latest one yet - does he mention this in the preamble?

Mango Chimes

No, that's my editorialising. I can't remember why he said he'd released them both at once, but nothing negative.

bgmnts

Oh also the ramblechat song and his ads and little ditties that pepper the shows are really entertaining.

Its better than Herrings by a mile.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 30, 2020, 07:57:46 PM
No, that's my editorialising. I can't remember why he said he'd released them both at once, but nothing negative.

Oh I thought you meant throw away as in toss in a bin.

I wonder what his reasoning is for holding onto certain podcasts for so long, and how he decides what order they should go in. Always seems a bit odd when he says that a podcast was recorded the previous year. I suppose he builds up a bank of them before putting out a "season"?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on May 30, 2020, 07:58:06 PM
Oh also the ramblechat song and his ads and little ditties that pepper the shows are really entertaining.

Its better than Herrings by a mile.

Everybody's eating cake and piiiiiiiies and crisps
and sipping fizzy pop from CUPS!

lankyguy95

I've mentioned it before but the "We're halfway through the podcast" is a big favourite of mine. I find it almost impossible not to join in by the time "Oooooooooo there's so much chemistry...." comes in.

Mister Six

It's the little interjections - "Alright, mate?" "Hello geezer" - that make it for me.

C_Larence

The Christian Bale jingle is my favourite, so over the top compared to the actual content of his interviews.

beanheadmcginty

Flabbergasted by the mere concept of somebody not being interested in Nile Rodgers. I'm pretty sure he's one of the greatest beings in the whole of human history.

crankshaft

I enjoy his interviews but I'd happily throw him some money on Patreon or whatever for a version without the 10 minutes of wandering around a field at the start and the FUCKING AWFUL SONGS that pepper it. That "Ramblechat" song in particular is just so shit it makes me cringe.

popcorn

Quote from: crankshaft on May 30, 2020, 08:30:27 PM
I enjoy his interviews but I'd happily throw him some money on Patreon or whatever for a version without the 10 minutes of wandering around a field at the start and the FUCKING AWFUL SONGS that pepper it. That "Ramblechat" song in particular is just so shit it makes me cringe.

oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear

crankshaft

Quote from: popcorn on May 30, 2020, 08:35:19 PM
oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear

What can I say? They drive me spare.

olliebean

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 30, 2020, 08:23:25 PM
Flabbergasted by the mere concept of somebody not being interested in Nile Rodgers. I'm pretty sure he's one of the greatest beings in the whole of human history.

He was good as Frasier's brother in Frasier.