Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

My favourite bit is the here we go before the goofy ramblechat jingle. Usually he just says here we go, but once in a while he says here we go really energetically and it makes me whoop.

New page here we go

phantom_power

Quote from: crankshaft on May 30, 2020, 08:30:27 PM
I enjoy his interviews but I'd happily throw him some money on Patreon or whatever for a version without the 10 minutes of wandering around a field at the start and the FUCKING AWFUL SONGS that pepper it. That "Ramblechat" song in particular is just so shit it makes me cringe.

No! No! Nonononono! etc

Pranet

Quote from: crankshaft on May 30, 2020, 08:30:27 PM
I enjoy his interviews but I'd happily throw him some money on Patreon or whatever for a version without the 10 minutes of wandering around a field at the start and the FUCKING AWFUL SONGS that pepper it. That "Ramblechat" song in particular is just so shit it makes me cringe.

You are the most wrong anyone has ever been about anything ever. Sorry about that. Or possibly congratulations.

Pranet

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 30, 2020, 12:53:36 PM

He's on a recent Pappy's podcast, by the way, for fans of him getting angry about minor infractions.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I loved listening to Pappys but when the covid thing kicked off something about them doing it remotely depressed me, and like a lot of people I was losing my marbles a bit anyway, so I stopped listening to them. I might start again now, the podcast with Adam was great.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Pranet on May 31, 2020, 12:19:15 PM
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I loved listening to Pappys but when the covid thing kicked off something about them doing it remotely depressed me, and like a lot of people I was losing my marbles a bit anyway, so I stopped listening to them. I might start again now, the podcast with Adam was great.

The Pappy's lockdown pods have been great.
Tom has clearly gone insane, but the jingles alone have made me laugh every day - especially the ones that accompany the tiniest of features.

Puce Moment

Quote from: crankshaft on May 30, 2020, 08:30:27 PMI enjoy his interviews but I'd happily throw him some money on Patreon or whatever for a version without the 10 minutes of wandering around a field at the start and the FUCKING AWFUL SONGS that pepper it. That "Ramblechat" song in particular is just so shit it makes me cringe.

troll alert?

crankshaft

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 31, 2020, 01:08:52 PM
troll alert?

Not at all, I'm afraid. I loved A&J on telly, liked them on 6 Music, enjoyed Song Wars, and I think his interviews are lovely. But the other stuff...I can't.

Natnar

I sort of find Adam's modern dynamic with Joe when they do a podcast together interesting. Adam comes across like he's interviewing an old friend who's too busy to hang around with him any more cause he's got a new girlfriend he spends all his time with now.

markburgle

Jinglewise I'd like to issue some low-key props to the "Where's my charger gone? Have you seen it?" one. Only pops up occasionally and I'm always happy when it does

kitsofan34

Quote from: Natnar on May 31, 2020, 03:39:47 PM
I sort of find Adam's modern dynamic with Joe when they do a podcast together interesting. Adam comes across like he's interviewing an old friend who's too busy to hang around with him any more cause he's got a new girlfriend he spends all his time with now.

And that girlfriend....is Hollywood baby.

popcorn

I think Hollywood dumped him.

Puce Moment

Quote from: crankshaft on May 31, 2020, 03:02:04 PMNot at all, I'm afraid. I loved A&J on telly, liked them on 6 Music, enjoyed Song Wars, and I think his interviews are lovely. But the other stuff...I can't.

I utilise the 30sec skip with a lot of podcasts I listen to - not least when ads come on.

Quote from: popcorn on May 31, 2020, 04:10:02 PMI think Hollywood dumped him.

Yes, I love cornballs but his rather flawed film career does seem to have come about just at the same time as he started speaking to Buckles in a less condescending and resentful way.

olliebean

I like the jingles, although some of them I've heard too many times now and I tend to skip past those - but I can't be bothered with the dog-walking bit at the start. I'd sooner just get straight into the chat without listening to a long précis of it beforehand.

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 31, 2020, 05:34:55 PM
Yes, I love cornballs but his rather flawed film career does seem to have come about just at the same time as he started speaking to Buckles in a less condescending and resentful way.

Yeah it's very nice to hear them back on good terms. Some of the 6music podcasts when it was clear Joe did not want to be there (presumably when he was getting working on the Tin Tin script and getting Attack the Block off the ground) were quite painful to listen to, especially when Adam would try to keep the energy and ideas up and Joe just wouldn't engage. I know they played it up as Torpedo Commander Cornballs annihilating the conversations, but from what Adam has subsequently said there was genuine frustration there.

phes

Quote from: olliebean on May 31, 2020, 05:40:08 PM
I like the jingles, although some of them I've heard too many times now and I tend to skip past those - but I can't be bothered with the dog-walking bit at the start. I'd sooner just get straight into the chat without listening to a long précis of it beforehand.

I like the birds at this time of year. And I like to shout 'that's a blackcap you idiot' at him, in his voice, when he makes reference to them being noisy again. How can he walk his dog there every day and not have learned THE BIRDS

Puce Moment

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on May 31, 2020, 05:54:16 PMYeah it's very nice to hear them back on good terms. Some of the 6music podcasts when it was clear Joe did not want to be there (presumably when he was getting working on the Tin Tin script and getting Attack the Block off the ground) were quite painful to listen to, especially when Adam would try to keep the energy and ideas up and Joe just wouldn't engage. I know they played it up as Torpedo Commander Cornballs annihilating the conversations, but from what Adam has subsequently said there was genuine frustration there.

Absolutely agreed - I found it quite upsetting sometimes to hear Joe cockblock a really funny bit with a withering, sarcastic comment. Listening back, I really want Adam to explode and give him some shit for it.

I was gutted that they stopped doing the 6Music show as it was part of my life for so long and I adored it (as well as getting a couple of emails read out!!!). But looking back, they stopped a little late, and it might have been better to let Joe go and do his scribblings for the bigwigs in Lala Land.

phantom_power

Cornish has just started a production company with Edgar Wright and Nira Park that seem to have a lot of things on the go so I don't think he is quite finished with Hollywood yet. I liked Attack the Block and The King Who Would Be King was a good old fashioned kids film of the sort that doesn't get made any more

olliebean

The Kid Who Would Be King felt more to me like a feature version of one of those old kids fantasy TV series they used to make.

Suckton Clifney

Joke elucidation request: does anyone know what Adam says at the end of the Squarespace ad? 'Susan, thank you. That's all I need to [...??]"

Quote from: Brian Freeze on January 17, 2020, 03:16:04 AM
I've built up a backlog of Buxcasts and have only just listened to the Philip Pullman epsisode.

When they're talking about his woodwork, Adam commends him on his lovely "something" chest and despite rewinding a few times I can't make out what sort of chest it is.

Can you help? Its around the 32 minute point. Cheers.

Plan chest.

crankshaft

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 31, 2020, 05:34:55 PM
I utilise the 30sec skip with a lot of podcasts I listen to - not least when ads come on.

I still listen to a lot of podcasts on my iPod, so it's more fiddly, but I've become a dab hand at skipping Adam's songs / Richard Herring's intros etc.

thugler

Quote from: Suckton Clifney on May 31, 2020, 08:03:31 PM
Joke elucidation request: does anyone know what Adam says at the end of the Squarespace ad? 'Susan, thank you. That's all I need to [...??]"

It's an impression of the guy who does the 'the daily' podcast, michael Barbaro. Uncanny. Particularly the weird noises he makes in interviews.

turnstyle

Quote from: Suckton Clifney on May 31, 2020, 08:03:31 PM

I always heard it as 'thats all I need to know today', but deliberately pronounced as 'nut today', cos of all the sex type groans he makes and that. But then, I am a disgusting perv. I'm actually naked right now. And typing this out with my testicles.

Blinder Data

The best jingle is the one that sounds like a Streets song about bumping someone's car in a supermarket car park

"No, fuck youuuuuu - and your mother toooooo" *xylophone twinkles*

popcorn

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 01, 2020, 10:50:25 AM
The best jingle is the one that sounds like a Streets song about bumping someone's car in a supermarket car park

"No, fuck youuuuuu - and your mother toooooo" *xylophone twinkles*

Said it before but my favourite is the one with the samples of the mental Tory going on about how electronic music is bad. There's something so cheering about it. Booooom goes the brainbox. I don't know if it was deliberate but the way Adam puts a bit 808ish kick on the "booooooom" makes it sound like the "brainbox" is a drum machine and I now always refer to drum machines as brainboxes.

thenoise

Quote from: phantom_power on May 31, 2020, 07:49:32 PM
Cornish has just started a production company with Edgar Wright and Nira Park that seem to have a lot of things on the go so I don't think he is quite finished with Hollywood yet. I liked Attack the Block and The King Who Would Be King was a good old fashioned kids film of the sort that doesn't get made any more

Attack the Block was quite promising.  He could churn out a mid-budget British comedy/thriller (or whatever he wants) like that every year and I'd be perfectly happy.  Better than cosying up with Spielberg and other has-beens and swooning over their Hollywood mansions while getting your name attached to crap superhero films that don't end up getting made.

thugler

Quote from: popcorn on June 03, 2020, 05:16:45 PM
Said it before but my favourite is the one with the samples of the mental Tory going on about how electronic music is bad. There's something so cheering about it. Booooom goes the brainbox. I don't know if it was deliberate but the way Adam puts a bit 808ish kick on the "booooooom" makes it sound like the "brainbox" is a drum machine and I now always refer to drum machines as brainboxes.

If I remember correctly, this is from a radio documentary about music and how it effects our brains? I think it may have been discussed, and clips played, on an old 6 music show.

popcorn

Quote from: thugler on June 04, 2020, 12:16:00 PM
If I remember correctly, this is from a radio documentary about music and how it effects our brains? I think it may have been discussed, and clips played, on an old 6 music show.

Yeah, we've covered it already in this thread but it's sampled from this essay from Tory fossil Roger Scruton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYua80VEcBk

Adam's repurposing of it is the perfect response, I love it. If it was discussed on the 6music show I've forgotten, I'd love to hear that if anyone has it.