Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

__steve__

New episode with Joe...ah, Adam's mum died. If he reads this, sorry man. 

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: __steve__ on June 30, 2020, 05:32:56 PM

Oh man, that's awful. Poor Buckles.

madhair60

non capisco

This podcast made me cry.

tears of irritation at the sound of Joe eating those liquorice allsorts

Not really, I cried for real for Adam's situation. Just want to give the guy a hug.

Mister Six

Oh no, poor Adam. Hope he's bearing up okay.

Puce Moment

Joe should offer to do a 52-week 6Music Saturday morning show with Buckles to cheer him up.

It's a very sad yet vaguely comforting episode. Adam talks movingly about his mum's final days, while Joe provides a shoulder to cry on, but there are moments where they comfort each other by slipping into their usual silliness. It's such a lovely illustration of how close friends cope during periods of anguish. All you can do is talk, listen and, if possible, laugh from time to time.

thenoise

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 30, 2020, 08:31:02 PM
Joe should offer to do a 52-week 6Music Saturday morning show with Buckles to cheer him up.

With no buckets of scornballls on Adam's silly bits!

Jerzy Bondov

Poor Adam. I've had his book on while I've been digging the garden up and it's the most enjoyable digging I've ever done. His mum sounded lovely. Hope he's okay.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 30, 2020, 08:50:39 PM
It's a very sad yet vaguely comforting episode. Adam talks movingly about his mum's final days, while Joe provides a shoulder to cry on, but there are moments where they comfort each other by slipping into their usual silliness. It's such a lovely illustration of how close friends cope during periods of anguish. All you can do is talk, listen and, if possible, laugh from time to time.

Spot on.

Dusty Substance

My heart goes out to poor Adam but, man, that was too much for me to handle. First time in ages that I had to switch a podcast off midway through due to it being too depressing.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 30, 2020, 10:26:55 PM
My heart goes out to poor Adam but, man, that was too much for me to handle. First time in ages that I had to switch a podcast off midway through due to it being too depressing.

Had to stick through it as I keep on throwing on depressing podcasts while in the bath and my hands are too wet to change them on my ipad.  Last one before this was Marc Maron being barely able to speak after his girlfriend Lynn Shelton died all of a sudden.  I am a grief hostage.  Which is obviously much worse than the actual people going through their bereavements.

Pranet

With Marc Maron I was amazed he kept on podcasting with out missing even one show. I'd recently pretty much stopped listening to him anyway but I thought there was no way I wanted to listen to grief that raw.

Thought the Adam Buxton podcast was lovely. My mother died a couple of weeks ago, and her situation was in some ways similar to his mum's, and I knew this wasn't a podcast to listen to in the super market. Sure enough I wobbled a few times while listening to it. But overall, as ballard said there was something comforting about it. And a very nice tribute at the end.

lankyguy95

Yeah it was a lovely episode. Cornish was the perfect guest for tredding the line between silly and serious.

Sorry to hear about your mum, Pranet.

amoral

The section at the end where he shares memories of his mom is heartbreaking and beautiful. Love you, Buckles.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 30, 2020, 08:50:39 PM

Yes, exactly. It was so warm and sweet, and a nice contrast to Joe's aloof and spiky XFM/6 Music "character". God bless the pair of them, and all who sail in them.

EDIT: My condolences, Pranet. I hope you're holding up all right.

Ferris

Quote from: __steve__ on June 30, 2020, 05:32:56 PM

Just saw this. Shit one for Buckles, hope he's alright :(

Ferris

Quote from: Pranet on July 01, 2020, 08:35:53 PM
With Marc Maron I was amazed he kept on podcasting with out missing even one show. I'd recently pretty much stopped listening to him anyway but I thought there was no way I wanted to listen to grief that raw.

Thought the Adam Buxton podcast was lovely. My mother died a couple of weeks ago, and her situation was in some ways similar to his mum's, and I knew this wasn't a podcast to listen to in the super market. Sure enough I wobbled a few times while listening to it. But overall, as ballard said there was something comforting about it. And a very nice tribute at the end.

Oh shit just saw this as well, condolences. Hope you're holding up ok.

Pranet

Thanks everyone. I wasn't looking for sympathy- honest- but I kind of did want to make the point that I found this podcast helpful as someone who is grieving as well. And not overpoweringly depressing. The opposite. I am very glad I listened to it.

Ferris

Listened to the latest one wth Joe, it was really sad but also very cathartic (sort of?)

I also felt like I didn't need to know all the details and maybe poor old Buckles could keep a bit of his private life to himself - for example, I have equivalent Cornballs friends and while I might talk to them if my mum dies [please no] I don't know that I'd record the conversation then release it for any old fucker to listen to.

I don't know, we're clearly very different people but Adz is such a nice feller I want him to be ok. I'm glad he saw some seals.

phantom_power

I think oversharing is sort of part of his deal isn't it. Joe came across very well in this. He often seems quite glib and haughty but this showed that beneath that facade he is actually very caring and pretty wise

Mister Six

Obviously this is how he personally deals with grief. Perhaps it helps him to share this pain, and I think it probably helps other people who are going through similar things. Unless his newly found therapist advises him otherwise (and even then...), I don't think there's much to criticise him for there.

Puce Moment

I think the podcast was really helpful to him when his Dad and then Djavid passed away. I like that he has a way to process his grief.

Ferris

Yeah it seems to be a helpful outlet for him to process his feelings (and I really laughed at Cornballs'
Spoiler alert
"your family is ruining this podcast!"
[close]
line). More power to Buckles and good on him for putting it out there if that's how he gets through these things.

Jerzy Bondov

This latest podcast, and the bonus one on the audiobook, are the only podcasts recorded remotely that sound natural. Maybe it helps that Adam & Joe have their lifetime of chemistry, but I feel like he must have used some editing tricks to make it sound so good.

lankyguy95

Half way through the new episode with Holly Walsh.

Cried laughing at
Spoiler alert
the bit about mums shoving chocolate-filled condoms up their arses to smuggle into boarding schools.
[close]

phes

I laughed at furloughed my teeth. I enjoyed the dynamic, with room for Buxton to also be the funny person. Was also nice to hear him get such a big compliment about the impact one of his gigs had on Walsh. Imagine he needed that

Sin Agog

Really well-timed booking was Walsh.  Don't want to sound all woo-woo but she came in with the perfect healing energy.  Always liked her, even if she never seemed 100% comfortable on most panel shows. And I can't help but recognise that almost desperate laughter of the mourning from Adam.  If it were words rather than just a sound it would be hissing: 'I need this!'

You don't sound all woo-woo at all, I think you're absolutely right. Walsh is such a warm, funny person, so that episode worked a treat for all concerned.

Walsh's sitcom The Other One is really good, by the way. The whole thing is on iPlayer.