Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 15, 2020, 09:48:26 PM

Walsh's sitcom The Other One is really good, by the way. The whole thing is on iPlayer.

oh! Gonna check this out, thanks!

I agree with everything yous are all saying, I did feel slightly awkward at Adam's level of "over sharing" but ultimately it was one of the sweetest things I've ever listened to, hearing A&J's chemistry and support for each other, hearing Buckles cry - Ach, it was just very moving and lovely. Holly Walsh was also great - some of those exchanges back and forth were excellent. Also: Joe farting and Adam telling Holly why he kept it.

EDIT: New page - FARTS!

Retinend

Great episode, lovely guest. "Healing" is right. I am still so shocked that Baaddad, AKA Nigel Buxton, was... well... a bad dad.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Retinend on July 16, 2020, 09:42:11 AM
Great episode, lovely guest. "Healing" is right. I am still so shocked that Baaddad, AKA Nigel Buxton, was... well... a bad dad.

I don't think Buckles would agree that he was a bad dad, just a very buttoned up and stuffy product of his time who didn't share his son's emotional availability. His book makes sure to play up his positive qualities and how much Adam loved him despite his flaws. I thought the bit about his father's email full of life advice, and the final chapter in particular were moving and heartfelt.

Retinend

Retinend

Holly Walsh was also on the delightful David Mitchell-hosted "The Unbelievable Truth" https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000k2td

phantom_power

Holly Walsh is someone I used to dislike when she started out on the panels shows but have grown to like, mainly due to her interviews and other things. I think also she has become more confident and idiosyncratic whereas when she started she was a bit more contained and generic

Jack Shaftoe

The boarding school stuff on that one really struck home, as my wife (/voice) and her brother were sent to an extremely posh boarding school by her socially ambitious dad and granny (on a scholarship, as they could never have afforded it), and they had an astonishingly shit time I genuinely think they both ought to have therapy to get over at some point.

Hearing Adam actually properly losing it over the Caramac thing was lovely, especially after his terrible (understandable) sadness from the previous episode.

popcorn

Ed O'Brien on the new ep. The second Radiohead guitarist Adam has had on. I've listened to a few podcasts with O'Brien now because he had a solo album out this year, and he always strikes me as down to earth and likeable. But he also talks a lot of bollocks doesn't he?

I mean what kind of person thinks Interstellar is the greatest movie ever made? It's funny how he insists it's based on "cutting edge science" when it's a film with scientist characters who spout cutting-edge science like this:

"Maybe we've spent too long trying to figure all this out with theory. Love is not something we invented. It's observable. Powerful. It has to mean something. Maybe it means something more, something we can't yet understand. Maybe it's some evidence, some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive. Love is the one thing that we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space."

Also someone recently told me that O'Brien is married to an alternative healer. So yeah Adam gently puncturing his cosmic bullshit with his "stoned scientists" made me laugh a lot.

... Still it was a very enjoyable episode.

lankyguy95

A member of Radiohead thinks a little too much of their own intelligence? Could knock me over with revelations like that.

popcorn

Hmm I don't think that's exactly the problem.

sutin

He's not interviewing one of the fucking sleeperblokes from Radiohead again is he?

kidsick5000

Hugely enjoyable this week.
I also enjoy his squarespace ad

popcorn

I completely agree with Buckles' disdain for "so". I first noticed that when I got my first tech job and every time I asked a question the answer would begin with "so". Which brings us to:

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 20, 2020, 12:39:24 AM
I also enjoy his squarespace ad

What is it he says near the end of that? "All I need... to nutterday"? Is it "nut today" like he's having a big wank? Even then that seems a bit of a stretch.

Mister Six

"That's all I need to know today."

That Squarespace ad is painfully accurate, the 'huh' type responses are something that had been really annoying me listening to a lot of American podcasts of that nature but I couldn't quite put my finger on what irritated me about it so it's nice to hear Buckles taking it apart. I think it might be because the 'so' suggests a teaching moment, some mind blowing wisdom about to be dropped, and the 'huh' is someone going along with it fully.

PaulTMA

Bringing up the 59th best guitarist in Rolling Stone was perhaps a clever roundabout means of broaching the often-wondered "what do you even do in Radiohead?" question.

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on July 20, 2020, 07:03:18 AM
"That's all I need to know today."

my god, it's so simple but this possibility didn't even cross my mind. it's such a weird delivery even by the standards of his American Podcast Voice

popcorn

It's great how Ed says how much he hates "Listen" and he says it several times in the podcast.

Quote from: thelittlemango on July 20, 2020, 10:42:14 AM
That Squarespace ad is painfully accurate, the 'huh' type responses are something that had been really annoying me listening to a lot of American podcasts of that nature but I couldn't quite put my finger on what irritated me about it so it's nice to hear Buckles taking it apart. I think it might be because the 'so' suggests a teaching moment, some mind blowing wisdom about to be dropped, and the 'huh' is someone going along with it fully.

It's is a perfect skewering of those po-faced faux-philosophical American ads isn't it? Musing and exclaiming as if a new app is something to be in awe of.

Quote from: popcorn on July 20, 2020, 12:37:27 PM
my god, it's so simple but this possibility didn't even cross my mind. it's such a weird delivery even by the standards of his American Podcast Voice

Heh, I like it when Adam's voices get so odd that they slip into incoherency, it reminds me of when Reece Shearsmith slips in a Papa Lazarou-esque intonation (O yeh I hadda fawt odat!)

mjwilson

Quote from: popcorn on July 19, 2020, 08:06:46 PM
I mean what kind of person thinks Interstellar is the greatest movie ever made? It's funny how he insists it's based on "cutting edge science" when it's a film with scientist characters who spout cutting-edge science like this:

To be fair, they did have some fancy physics stuff involved. https://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

popcorn

Quote from: mjwilson on July 20, 2020, 04:59:49 PM
To be fair, they did have some fancy physics stuff involved. https://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Yeah but it's also full of stupid bollocks. (And I suspect that's the bit Mr O'Brien gets off on)

paddy72

Ed O'Brien seems likable enough in the new episode, but he somehow reminds me of this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBZ8nng-1-g

Virgo76

I enjoyed it but O'Brien got a bit carried away talking about Interstellar. Anyone would think it was a good film.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: popcorn on July 19, 2020, 08:06:46 PM
Also someone recently told me that O'Brien is married to an alternative healer. So yeah Adam gently puncturing his cosmic bullshit with his "stoned scientists" made me laugh a lot.

I find him more tolerable when I imagine him to be Chief O'Brien's brother.

popcorn

Adam has killed the app (thank God - it was rubbish and not right for what he's doing) and made all its bonus podcast episodes free on his new website. https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/bonus-audio

The Roofdog

Quote from: popcorn on August 07, 2020, 10:24:50 AM
Adam has killed the app (thank God - it was rubbish and not right for what he's doing) and made all its bonus podcast episodes free on his new website. https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/bonus-audio

Aha the Brix Smith one, fucking YES

Pranet

Last night I could download these easily using an online soundcloud downloader. This morning I cannot. Annoying.

Thosworth

Quote from: Pranet on August 07, 2020, 10:55:35 AM
Last night I could download these easily using an online soundcloud downloader. This morning I cannot. Annoying.

This site does it fine, if you put the page URLs in:

https://www.klickaud.co/

I had to manually add ".mp3" to the file names on a Mac. Also it doesn't work on the Garth Jennings file, probably due to all the YouTube clips on the page.

Pranet

Thanks for that. It downloaded the others fine for me. Of course it is the bloody Garth Jennings one I really wanted to download.

Mister Six

Aw no, has he done another one with Zadie Smith? I only just made it through the last one by the skin of my teeth.