Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

QuoteBuxton recalls that soon after they left school he asked Cornish if they'd still be friends in 10 years. "I don't know, man, probably not," he casually replied. Thirty years later, the comment burned enough for Buxton to put it in his book.

At the end of the audio version of Ramble Book, there is a conversation between the pair in which Cornish brings up that comment, which he had long forgotten: "I think I was probably looking for the most provocative answer. My brain issues the true standard answer and then thinks, well, that's a bit boring, what would be more interesting?" You can hear Buxton gasp, re-evaluating 40 years of casual banter. "I think the relationship worked creatively because we are very different, but I never understood that," he says now, smiling.

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on August 31, 2020, 09:16:26 AM
Yes Joe cornish does seem like a wanker

Ha! I didn't think of it that way, really. First I was thinking that it was yet another example of Adam being quite unnecessarily sensitive ("un NE cess ri ly" as BaaadDaad would say), but if you imagine how Joe must have said it, in that condescending, imperious was of his, I can quite imagine it was totally cutting.

That said, I can still see what Joe was going for by saying "I dunno man, probably not". Recently my friend was saying that he felt "worthless" because he was suddenly overweight. I said "you're not worthless..." in this way that was intended to be funny, as if he was just on the line of being worthless, but it wasn't really funny. It blew up in my face a couple of hours later when he brought it up again and - like Joe - I had to explain that I was essentially looking for the answer he didn't expect of me. You know, because it's a comedic rule of thumb. It was easily cleared up but it was a tense moment.

Reading that anecdote of Adam and Joe, I am struck by how people either confront or don't confront these moments of pain that could be easily cleared up. If they don't they pay the price. Poor Adam.

Retinend

I was talking about Adam and Joe with someone the other day and I said that I thought Buxton "basically gets by on good will these days", which she thought was too harsh since he's still putting out the podcast and it's a successful one. I said I thought most of the podcast listeners are a subset of the older radio/podcast listeners. Am I being too harsh/ inaccurate?

Pink Gregory

Oh there's definitely a large Adam and Joe radio show contingent in the listeners, but it's undeniable that he's a very good interviewer, and he doesn't seem to be stuck in the rut of 'my colleagues and mates' that a lot of other 'comedians interview comedians' podcasters get stuck in. 

phantom_power

It is funny how people are praising Zadie Smith at the same time as castigating Buxton for sending his kids to boarding school when she even says in the podcast that she doesn't blame people for sending their kids to one. It is the system that needs changing and to blame individuals for a systemic flaw is pointless. People will be innately selfish and hypocritical when it comes to family and loved ones so there needs to be systems in place to minimise that behaviour.

And it is being a class traitor to not want to be a servant? Fucking hell

phantom_power

I think Joe showed himself in the episode after Adam's mum died that he is very much not a wanker. I imagine he was just a teenage boy unable to deal with a real show of emotion, and possibly unaware of what effect those words would have on someone

idunnosomename

his films are shit though and he should stop making them

phes

Quote from: phantom_power on August 31, 2020, 10:50:33 AM
It is funny how people are praising Zadie Smith at the same time as castigating Buxton for sending his kids to boarding school when she even says in the podcast that she doesn't blame people for sending their kids to one. It is the system that needs changing and to blame individuals for a systemic flaw is pointless. People will be innately selfish and hypocritical when it comes to family and loved ones so there needs to be systems in place to minimise that behaviour.

And it is being a class traitor to not want to be a servant? Fucking hell

Thought she was mostly alright. Definitely a bit of a hypocrite though, criticising people for scrapping their youthful ideals as they age and shortly after scoffing at 'once your polyamorous phase hasn't worked out'.. (and you've grown up).

Dusty Substance

He really does. A miserable one at that.

How is anyone surprised to learn that Adam Buxton sends his kids to Private School?

Johnboy

I don't know this Joe Cornish guy at all, I hadn't really heard of either of them until I discovered Adam's podcast via Eno being on it.

Can't say I've warmed to Joe really from what I've heard on this podcast but he might just be playing a persona to Adam's persona, I mean what's the history, was he always a bit smug compared to Adam's unsure/multiple view points/shades of grey/hesitant/self doubtful vibe? (These are things I like about Adam btw)

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Retinend on August 31, 2020, 10:02:00 AM
I was talking about Adam and Joe with someone the other day and I said that I thought Buxton "basically gets by on good will these days", which she thought was too harsh since he's still putting out the podcast and it's a successful one. I said I thought most of the podcast listeners are a subset of the older radio/podcast listeners. Am I being too harsh/ inaccurate?

I've never listened to the old radio shows, I sorta liked some of his YouTube videos,  then thought there was an early stretch where he was a great interviewer, and that he's gone off the boil a bit around the time his father passed away (not saying it's connected tho)

thr0b

He's always been the "smug" one in the duo. Given they've been friends for decades, it's clearly a role that doesn't diminish their friendship, even if sometimes it upsets Adam, who is clearly a sensitive sole.

Ad is clearly the "right" kind of fuddy-duddy ageing man; he might not "get" everything about "the modern world", but he tries to be tolerant, and clearly wants the best for his family. I don't know how anyone can find him remotely offensive.

Career-wise, they've gone in different directions, but I think Adam's has been the right one for him; low-key and low-fi, but very creative. Joe has gone Hollywood, but is less distinctive as a result.

frajer

It's weird whenever they discuss Joe's Hollywood career as he's made two films in 10 years, one okay and one shite.

I know he had his hand in Antman and Tintin (gumph!) but based on their design-by-committee productions I have the feeling about 20 uncredited screenwriters did too.

Jack Shaftoe

It is a bit weird, the seething jealousy UK media public school types get for their peers who've gone off to the US and done really well for themselves. Not saying Adam's jealous to that level, but he was clearly a bit peeved by it. I was having a drink with a group of this sort a few years ago, all public school comedy types, can't imagine any of them were anywhere below a million quid and they were seething about how Hugh Laurie was doing with House, as though he'd ascended to some level on the roll of a dice and was now lording it over them personally. It was a bit odd. Particularly because I never got the sense Laurie was all that happy over there, the opposite if anything.

Possibly there's a point at which all that breeding and public-school connections just aren't enough and they become horribly aware of their limitations for the first time in their charmed existences.

Sin Agog

Might be a generational thing, too.  Back in the '80s and early '90s, Americans used to be imbued with ethereal, sylvan qualities, as if the Viking legend of Vinland, America as a fecund land of unlimited bounty, carried on in the minds of dowdy Limey schoolchildren apparelled in itchy, bobbled uniforms.  You can hear that same awed ambassador tone whenever Buxton or Herring interviews one of 'em.

Jack Shaftoe

That's true, they were all a good decade older than me.

'Did you hear, Hugh's gone to America! That's where Kojak comes from!'

The Mollusk

Quote from: thr0b on August 31, 2020, 02:18:38 PM
He's always been the "smug" one in the duo. Given they've been friends for decades, it's clearly a role that doesn't diminish their friendship, even if sometimes it upsets Adam, who is clearly a sensitive sole.

I agree with this. One of my closest, dearest friends is extremely similar; jokingly-smug but also actually-quite-smug, whereas I am the highly emotional one. For the most part, that dynamic between us is completely fine and we have a great time together and can both make fun of one another at opportune moments, but there are rare occasions where he's said something that's either been a bit too cutting or I have not been in the best frame of mind, and I've been hurt by it. Fortunately I have always spoken from my heart and so I will question those moments with him and we're able to figure it out far quicker than it appears to have taken with Adam and Joe in the past.

The trouble is when some people spend a couple of decades consuming the output of a group of friends whom they have never met, they somehow think they actually know those people and understand the deep nuances of their close personal relationships, and can confidently wade in and attack one of them, which is fucking daft behaviour.

Retinend

Are you saying we shouldn't presume to say anything about the nature of their relationship or something else entirely?

daf

The Mollusk

Quote from: Retinend on August 31, 2020, 05:14:27 PM
Are you saying we shouldn't presume to say anything about the nature of their relationship or something else entirely?

I'm saying that comments like these

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 31, 2020, 02:00:20 PM

are quite impetuous or, at the very least, needlessly unkind.

Sin Agog

I [slightly] prefer Joe.  Sometimes it takes being a churlish cunt in order to hold onto your youthful ambition and not become a carbon copy of your parents.  I dunno how political he is, but I suspect from some of the films he's mentioned liking and Attack the Block that he's still got a bit of the ol' rebel yell in him.  Then again, I've just bought a cheap projector so I could be using it on Joe here.  I do know for sure that he almost always had the better hooks in Song Wars.

amateur

Garth Jennings did the best song wars entry ever, if that furthers the debate:

https://youtu.be/mqNpaHvQvuo

Dusty Substance

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 31, 2020, 05:52:40 PM
I'm saying that comments like these

are quite impetuous or, at the very least, needlessly unkind.

You're right. I was in a bit of a grump earlier. Maybe not miserable but his aloof smugness has always rubbed me up the wrong way, especially compared to Adam's puppy-like enthusiasm.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 31, 2020, 06:17:32 PM
You're right. I was in a bit of a grump earlier. Maybe not miserable but his aloof smugness has always rubbed me up the wrong way, especially compared to Adam's puppy-like enthusiasm.

It's too late for that. I have deemed you a scumbag. GET OFF THE INTERNET.

ProvanFan

They're a pair of evil, posh dickheads and I'll never sing Jazz Queens again.

idunnosomename

we're stuffing the chill-bags with nibbles and wine

gmoney

Quote from: amateur on August 31, 2020, 06:11:42 PM
Garth Jennings did the best song wars entry ever, if that furthers the debate:

https://youtu.be/mqNpaHvQvuo

Welcome to the forum, Garth.

idunnosomename

adam's songs were always way better imo

Mr James Rohan - he's a monster!
Christmas Christmas Christmas Christmas Christmas Party Time
Dirty Robots
WHY CAN'T WE LIVE FOREVER
I know they big bags of solace: but I dont want 'em
NUTTY ROOM
IT'S GONNA BE A POO-POO PARTY POM-POM

Sin Agog

Naw, some of Joe's could have been off some 80s sophisto pop record by The Blue Nile or whatever- he's a genuinely nice singer.  While every bloody one of Adam's comes with his vacationing cockneys scrumping for apples voice.

amateur

He also finds it near impossible to get through a jingle or song without a fart noise.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 31, 2020, 08:59:23 PM
we're stuffing the chill-bags with nibbles and wine

There was nowhere to charge your mobile, and nowhere clean for doing poops!