Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,358
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:04:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: amateur on September 01, 2020, 06:22:37 AM
He also finds it near impossible to get through a jingle or song without a fart noise.

To be fair to him that's a medical problem.

non capisco

For a point in Joe's song column - "I diagnose you have sexy disease!"

'Christmas Shopping At The All Night Garage', another hoofer.

gmoney

I don't think I could fit a ruler between them, I think they both have done some fantastic songs.

Jack Shaftoe

I always enjoyed how annoyed Joe got at the amount of time and energy he felt forced to put into the songs, which to be fair, always paid off.

There's a little bleepy bloopy track Adam uses on the podcast sometimes, which must be one of his, and it's completely lovely. Obviously it would be improved by a fart noise, but what wouldn't?

Dusty Substance

Not just Adam's greatest song, maybe the greatest song ever recorded - Tom Waits' rejected theme for Iron Man 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoDZ6PhvF3E

Mister Six

Quote from: amateur on September 01, 2020, 06:22:37 AM
He also finds it near impossible to get through a jingle or song without a fart noise.

That's not actually true though, is it?

ProvanFan

I like the eurodance rap bit in Adam's song about The Hours

idunnosomename

Quote from: non capisco on September 01, 2020, 09:25:31 AM
i have to admit that was a belter

"The symptoms include hotness and the wearing of tight jeans. Would you pop this in your mouth? Don't worry, it's clean. (It's just a thermometer)."

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 01, 2020, 11:35:06 AM
Not just Adam's greatest song, maybe the greatest song ever recorded - Tom Waits' rejected theme for Iron Man 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoDZ6PhvF3E
This is great. One of my favourites is Adam Buxton's Scott Walker's David Bowie's Laughing Gnome. That fucking echoing cackle makes me laugh every time.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: ProvanFan on September 01, 2020, 12:39:44 PM
I like the eurodance rap bit in Adam's song about The Hours

It was a tragedy that Virginia Welf
Felt she had to drown herself

thenoise

He put so much effort into the Hours when he kept losing, which is why it came out totally insane.

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on September 01, 2020, 11:11:49 AM
I always enjoyed how annoyed Joe got at the amount of time and energy he felt forced to put into the songs, which to be fair, always paid off.

He didnt need to record his heartfelt lament at the end of song wars ('au revoir le garre de chanson') when it was cancelled. But I'm glad he did.

NoOffenceLynn

I think "Christmas Shopping At The All Night Garage" should be released as a Christmas single, l can still hum the tune now, when someone mentions it.

Puce Moment

I fucking hate comedy songs but Dr Sexy is right up there[nb]lol[/nb] with any songs in Spinal Tap. It was the thing that got my wife[nb]my wife[/nb] into the Adam and Joe podcast and so I have a soft spot[nb]oooh err![/nb] for it.

idunnosomename

god buckles' book is Radio 4 book of the week next week. bloody hell those westminster kids get all the luck dont they

phes

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on September 02, 2020, 06:29:32 PM
I think "Christmas Shopping At The All Night Garage" should be released as a Christmas single, l can still hum the tune now, when someone mentions it.

Agreed.

Joe's songs were always more up my street. All Night Garage, Antiques Roadshow and European Supermarket are the three that stick in my mind

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 02, 2020, 10:22:08 PM
god buckles' book is Radio 4 book of the week next week. bloody hell those westminster kids get all the luck dont they

I really enjoyed it, to be fair. Insert what that says about my taste (or that of radio 4's) here.

idunnosomename

i'm sure it'll be good if you're in the car 9:45-10am. interesting it is just his audiobook chopped up, usually BotW is abridged and recorded specially

Retinend

Can someone PM me with a link to the archive of shows? Not that website where you have to download them all individually, though, please.

Mister Six

Just get an app like Podbean. You can easily access all shows from there.

Johnboy

Where would one begin with the Adam and Joe podcasts that are out there

there's their 6music show, another one is Xfm, then Adam and Joe podcast,

I wouldn't be going too deep, a best of would be ideal

Phil_A

Quote from: Johnboy on September 03, 2020, 03:42:27 PM
Where would one begin with the Adam and Joe podcasts that are out there

there's their 6music show, another one is Xfm, then Adam and Joe podcast,

I wouldn't be going too deep, a best of would be ideal

Probably the XFM podcasts in that case, basically edited highlights of their entire XFM run with some extra linking material. They're quite short and there's only 20 of them, so not a huge commitment.

The BBC podcasts do a similar job hoovering up the best bits of the 6music run, but there's a lot more of them as they were putting them out weekly after each show.

thenoise

Yes Xfm is a great place to start but hopefully you'll enjoy them as much as I did. I was in quite a bad place at the time, which puts me off a relisten, but they were pure joy, really special. Best thing either of them ever did, honestly.

Retinend

Quote from: Mister Six on September 03, 2020, 03:02:37 PM
Just get an app like Podbean. You can easily access all shows from there.

It doesn't count unless it's a file on the desktop, for me.

Johnboy

IsavedLatin

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 03, 2020, 01:36:49 AM
interesting it is just his audiobook chopped up, usually BotW is abridged and recorded specially

I believe it is a different recording to the audiobook.

popcorn

Quote from: IsavedLatin on September 14, 2020, 01:36:08 PM
I believe it is a different recording to the audiobook.

what makes you think that? (not listened to the R4 version, just curious)

Retinend

The book is great. Highly recommended. Surprisingly it has nothing at all about the Adam or Joe or Xfm/BBC6 years. It's all about his life before he got famous and his life as a father and husband (the "arguments with wife log" was a highlight for me). I'm not disappointed, though, because it's way better than I expected. The stuff about his father was moving and  subtly conveyed - I'm not afraid to say I cried at the final chapter. There is a timeless quality to the book: I was reminded of The Way of All Flesh, Buddenbrooks or Father and Son, i.e. it seemed like a story of a highly-functioning disfunctional family that will resonate with plenty of people, not just Buxton fans.

olliebean

Quote from: popcorn on September 14, 2020, 02:04:31 PM
what makes you think that? (not listened to the R4 version, just curious)

Neither have I, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier and less time-consuming to make a fresh recording of an abridged version suitable for episodic radio broadcast than to edit it down from the full audiobook.