Author Topic: The Adam Buxton Podcast  (Read 339153 times)

Re: The Adam Buxton Podcast
« Reply #2340 on: September 14, 2020, 11:43:23 PM »
Neither have I, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier and less time-consuming to make a fresh recording of an abridged version suitable for episodic radio broadcast than to edit it down from the full audiobook.

Exactly this.  That's why (as has already been raised in this thread) R4's absolutely standard practice for the Book of the Week recordings is for fresh recordings from an abridged script, even when it's the author on the unabridged conventional commercially available audiobook recording.

Retinend

• gettit done gettit on gettit done when you do it
    • Goodreads profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 15, 2020, 09:18:24 AM »
Listening to the radio version (I read the book), the part about how, at the time his father fell on hard times, it fell to Buxton to support his own parents with the money from his "busboy" job in the restaurant, stood out to me a lot...

...does it seem normal for all of you that Adam feels no resentment towards Nigel for this? I think it is admirable if it is true that he simply sees it as a fair exchange, given that Nigel had raised the family in very comfortable circumstances. For my part, I think it is irresponsible to raise a family outside of its true means (what with all the borrowing from his employer and friends) and to ask the 18 year old Adam to pay the bills once that pretty dream collapses. It would have psychologically scarred me, if I was being called a "cake" (that was hilarious) while secretly having a bankrupt for a father who I had to support with my busboy money.

« Reply #2342 on: September 15, 2020, 11:51:38 AM »
Just been looking at the 2nd Adam & Joe LP and had completely forgotten about Joe's Antiques Roadshow song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML6Qv_GdFJU

Such a great tracklist on the album.

A1   The Festival Song   
A2   Nutty Room   
A3   Special Bath   
A4   Happy Birthday Time!   
A5   Quantum Of Solace   
A6   80's Song   
A7   Australia   
A8   Bob Dylan's DVD Box Set   
A9   Bums & Binge Drinking (Kate Nash Song)   
A10   Coming Back From Holiday Blues   
A11   The Mind Of A Pirate (Legal Version)
B1   Santum Of Quolace   
B2   Antiques Roadshow
B3   Baz Luhrmann's Australia
B4   Bathtime For Bowie   
B5   This Week In Grazia   
B6   Itchy Bum (Kate Nash Song)   
B7   Song For Margaret Mountford   
B8   Incredible Song   
B9   Dr Sexy
B10   La-La-La-Lumley   
B11   Hello Mr Ghost   
B12   Bonus Track!

Need to relisten to the first, had forgotten all about Joe's Right & Wrong Song.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #2343 on: September 15, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like Adam so much more than Joe, but holy fuck, Joe really could churn out the fucking best song wars songs.

"Where did you get that delightful clock..."

« Reply #2344 on: September 15, 2020, 04:29:46 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like Adam so much more than Joe, but holy fuck, Joe really could churn out the fucking best song wars songs.

"Where did you get that delightful clock..."

I found it so funny that Joe would toss off an absolute masterpiece, while adam would stress out about it all week losing sleep and be obviously way more concerned about his song being good. Then was always annoyed at how good Joe's songs were and the audience response. Also the madness and sleep deprivation were often evident in his songs. I have such fond memories of listening to them live in that era. It was amazing for a good while.

Adam's 'the hours' related song made me piss myself.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #2345 on: September 15, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »
I fucking hate comedy songs but being fully immersed in the radio show and podcast when these songs were being made back then really helps you understand the heightened stress of their production. Adam would sometimes admit that he had been up to 2-3am working on the song, fucking him up for the show itself, and resulting in an over-egged concoction that the fans would step over carefully to vote for Joe.

Crabwalk

• I hope you enjoy drinking dirty toilet water.
« Reply #2346 on: September 15, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »
The saving grace for Adam is that he came up with 'Birthday Time' which transcends everything else he or Joe have ever done, and is the best song ever played on 6 music.

non capisco

• A ridiculous boy on a makeshift vehicle
« Reply #2347 on: September 16, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »
The saving grace for Adam is that he came up with 'Birthday Time' which transcends everything else he or Joe have ever done, and is the best song ever played on 6 music.

WHYYYYYY CAN'T WE LIVE FOREVERRRRRRRRR?

I like how there was occasionally some heartfelt existential stuff chucked into those throwaway songs.

« Reply #2348 on: September 16, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »
The book is great. Highly recommended. Surprisingly it has nothing at all about the Adam or Joe or Xfm/BBC6 years. It's all about his life before he got famous and his life as a father and husband (the "arguments with wife log" was a highlight for me). I'm not disappointed, though, because it's way better than I expected.

I'm hoping that this gaping hole is due to leaving the door open for a separate book on the actual work of the A&J partnership.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2349 on: September 17, 2020, 04:56:57 AM »
Yeah, same here. Still trying to figure out how the fuck I can listen to Ramblebook without getting an Audible account (used up my free book on Partridge). Wondering if I can just pirate it and Venmo Buxton 15 quid or whatever.

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #2350 on: September 17, 2020, 05:29:31 AM »
Yeah, same here. Still trying to figure out how the fuck I can listen to Ramblebook without getting an Audible account (used up my free book on Partridge). Wondering if I can just pirate it and Venmo Buxton 15 quid or whatever.

Join Amazon with a different email, and use a different debit/credit card.

« Reply #2351 on: September 17, 2020, 12:41:46 PM »

Download Oasthouse, and covert it to MP3. Then return it to get your credit back and get Ramblebook, which is what I did.

Retinend

• Goodreads profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 17, 2020, 01:10:43 PM »
Do you do the real-time-audio-output-recording method with audacity, like I do? or do you have a better method of MP3 "conversion"?

« Reply #2353 on: September 17, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »
being an idiot, ignore

(me I mean)

« Reply #2354 on: September 17, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
Do you do the real-time-audio-output-recording method with audacity, like I do? or do you have a better method of MP3 "conversion"?

I ended up using this - https://github.com/audiamus/AaxAudioConverter which did the job nicely, even split the file into it's chapters so each episode is it's own mp3.

Menu

• It's exactly how I want it.
« Reply #2355 on: September 18, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »

Imagine going through all this hassle to save £8 ffs. And if you buy it the legal way there is a million times more chance that Adam will get to do another one.

I now have to say this in every thread on this forum, Menu fans!

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2356 on: September 18, 2020, 04:01:18 AM »
Download Oasthouse, and covert it to MP3. Then return it to get your credit back and get Ramblebook, which is what I did.

You fucking genius.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2357 on: September 18, 2020, 04:03:22 AM »
Imagine going through all this hassle to save £8 ffs. And if you buy it the legal way there is a million times more chance that Adam will get to do another one.

I now have to say this in every thread on this forum, Menu fans!

I'm quite happy to pay for the book, I just don't want to aid and abet Amazon (or piss about cancelling subscriptions, making new accounts etc unless I have to). Would be happy to just fork over a flat fee for the audiobook but I live in the US and can't seem to find anyone other than cocking Audible stocking it.

« Reply #2358 on: September 18, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
It is on google play if that is any better

https://play.google.com/store/audiobooks/details/Adam_Buxton_Ramble_Book?id=AQAAAECsd1U36M&hl=en

If anyone does buy it from there let me know if it is true what I read elsewhere on the internet that if you buy audio books from there you can download drm free files. Seems too good to be true.

Retinend

• Goodreads profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 18, 2020, 02:35:18 PM »
the archive of the XFM/6Music shows

Is anyone reading this eager to get these files?

Go to the Pirate Bay and search for the appropriate keywords: I am currently one of only 3 people seeding it.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #2360 on: September 18, 2020, 02:54:44 PM »
I'm looking forward to "Adam and Joe Radio Shows (Complete)" personally (12.76 GB)

Retinend

• Goodreads profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 18, 2020, 02:57:43 PM »
That's the one.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #2362 on: September 18, 2020, 05:30:51 PM »
Many thanks to the couple of people who dived on this - it downloaded in no time. I'll keep sharing for a couple of days.

non capisco

• A ridiculous boy on a makeshift vehicle
« Reply #2363 on: September 18, 2020, 05:33:33 PM »
Oooh, on that as soon as I get home!

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #2364 on: September 18, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »
Non torrent alternative. Go here

https://fourble.co.uk/podcasts

Pick a podcast (A&J are all on there), set a frequency for new eps to appear in your podcast app, and it’ll give you an RSS link. You can go to your podcast app and “subscribe” to that using the custom link you got, and it’ll be exactly the same as a normal podcast. You can set the frequency to “all at once, cheers” or skip ahead and download as many as you like (or at least I can in my iOS podcast app).

Terrific service, and an incredible range of stuff on there.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #2365 on: September 18, 2020, 07:13:01 PM »
Non torrent alternative. Go here

https://fourble.co.uk/podcasts

Pick a podcast (A&J are all on there), set a frequency for new eps to appear in your podcast app, and it’ll give you an RSS link. You can go to your podcast app and “subscribe” to that using the custom link you got, and it’ll be exactly the same as a normal podcast. You can set the frequency to “all at once, cheers” or skip ahead and download as many as you like (or at least I can in my iOS podcast app).

Terrific service, and an incredible range of stuff on there.

Proof of concept - pop this link in your podcast app and subscribe. That’ll give you a new one every day, but like I say you can amend the frequency.

https://fourble.co.uk/adamandjoe6musiccomplete-200918-1.rss

« Reply #2366 on: September 18, 2020, 08:48:10 PM »
Proof of concept - pop this link in your podcast app and subscribe. That’ll give you a new one every day, but like I say you can amend the frequency.

Awesome thanks!

« Reply #2367 on: September 18, 2020, 09:06:52 PM »

"That's it!" said Barry. "I'm going to ban Ferris!" His mouse cursor hovered over the BAN FERRIS button.

"Well, hold on there, Barry," I said. "Let's not be so hasty."

"His posts are nothing but a big waste of time!"

"That's true."

"His avatar is stupid!"

"I can't deny that."

"He thinks he is so cool, but he's actually lame!"

"You'll hear no argument from me," I said. "But, Barry, listen. I've got a feeling... a feeling that one day Ferris is going to post something... brilliant."

"Ha!" said Barry. "I'd like to see that! Still, you know best, popcorn, and you are handsome and cool!"

"Unlike Ferris!" I said, chuckling. And Barry also chuckled, agreeingly.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #2368 on: September 19, 2020, 12:23:09 AM »
You and me, outside, NOW.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2369 on: September 19, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »
It is on google play if that is any better

https://play.google.com/store/audiobooks/details/Adam_Buxton_Ramble_Book?id=AQAAAECsd1U36M&hl=en

Not in the US, sadly. But maybe I can VPN my way around that...

EDIT: Nope. Bollocks.