Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:25:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Currently listening to old 6music shows. Adam introduces a free play recommended to him by Glinner, and lo, it's awful.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

ROBBIE WILLIAMS???

Haven't listened but should be interesting given how much Joe and him used to slag the guy off in the XFM days.

selectivememory

Hahaha. What? That's very unexpected.

PlanktonSideburns

Chriddof

I heard ages ago that he was obsessed with UFOs.

Cold Meat Platter

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He's wealthy, so that makes him eccentric.

non capisco

I'm not the world's biggest Caitlin Moran fan but her episode was worth it for the anecdote about a teenage Joe ringing Adam up in the middle of the night because his banjo string had snapped. I find Moran quite annoying but she does at least have a rapport with Buckles. Bailed on Robbie Williams after twenty minutes as they didn't seem to spark off each other and the chat was dreary and going nowhere. Quelle surprise, it becomes about David Bowie. Does it pick up when he starts talking about UFOs?

For every crap one he should do an extra one with Louis or Tash Demetriou to make up for it. My new Louis rule should also apply to Off Menu.

idunnosomename

fucking hell. that must be like the biggest name he's ever had on. i mean i don't care, but good on him. shame to hear it doesn't spark off. does he mention how it came about?

popcorn

FAQs

- Robie is a fan of the Buckles podcast. Jon Ronson put him in touch with Adam (Jon did a TV show about UFOs with Robbie at some point)

- Adam says he used to find Robbie obnoxious and make fun of him back in the day. Robbie doesn't seem to mind, agrees that lots of people find him obnoxious

- Robbie seems quite humourless and dull

- Robbie goes off on one about seeing UFOs

idunnosomename

cheers. will try and give it a listen in the course of my miserable life out of sheer curiosity. im also not totally opposed to Williams. some decent pop songs.

Pranet

Quote from: non capisco on October 03, 2020, 10:41:26 PM
I'm not the world's biggest Caitlin Moran fan but her episode was worth it for the anecdote about a teenage Joe ringing Adam up in the middle of the night because his banjo string had snapped.

That made me wince for about 20 minutes. I get a sort of sympathetic pain in the back of my legs whenever I hear anything like that.

thr0b

Robbie Williams is an interesting chap. I can't help but like him - he knows he's a pop star, doesn't have aspirations to be anything more than a pop star but has enough money to do his vanity projects and play up to his eccentricities. Pupils always like piss-holes in the snow though.

damien

Love Robbie despite the nuttiness, decent cat.

Johnboy

Yeah, I like Robbie, seems reasonably self aware of his pop star twatishness

Kind of felt for him re the Bowie anecdote - someone you admire greatly dissing you must be hard to take

Schnapple

Yeah, Robbie knows exactly who he is, which is definitely appealing. His brutally honest description of his motivation as to contacting Adam and guesting on the show was very satisfying and amusing.

Moran did my head in, unfortunately. I think my issue with her is that for someone with so much to say, I feel she is somehow fundamentally lacking in curiosity and ultimately self-centered. Adam works best in conversation with someone like Zadie Smith or even Louis Theroux, in which there's some friction, but ultimately you get the impression they match his now trademark uncertainty. Hearing Moran just dispatch observations from the fringe of middle age as if their gospel was tiresome. She is great at giving the impression of vulnerability and introspection, but I'm not sure she possesses the self-awareness.

kidsick5000

I still quite like Robbie, but I do feel sympathy for him.
He sounds like he's gone through a thousand forms of therapy, to the point that he's almost detached and viewing the entity Robbie Williams.
I honestly hope he's okay.

I was hoping Adam wouldn't play his version of Rudebox.
His track record on making the right choice with such decisions isn't great (Remember Weller, Weller, Weller?)
It turned out sort of ok but it was caked in tension

idunnosomename

even Jason Orange has more talent and interest than Caitlin Moran

Hat FM

Loved Robbie pretending he liked adam's version of rudebox. he couldn't have gone through the whole, admittedly, PR process of appearing on the podcast and then got pissed off at a parody of his most parodyable song. i thought he seemed alright for the crazy life he's had with ridiculous levels of fame. didn't like it when he started life coaching adam though.

frajer

Enjoyed that too. Not one of the all-time great Ramblechats but a pleasant listen and that's all you want sometimes.

By the end I did wonder if Adam was pushing it a bit far with the "lots of people disliked you, including me. Why is that?" but I suppose he realised Robbie was happy to discuss it. Respect to Robbie for his gentlemanly responses and being game for such a character dissection.

Crabwalk

Poor Robbie still sounds just as needy and desperate to be loved as ever. Only now it's by the cool kids, not by the masses. I suspect he's protesting too much when he claims to be settled and contented, but I hope I'm wrong as he's clearly been quite badly damaged by his mental health problems and addictions.

His gag about never approaching his material in a spirit of calculated cynicism ('until my last two albums') was very enjoyable. Besides that, not many yuks to be had and despite his politeness I didn't get the feeling that Buckles was really on his wavelength (or all that keen to accept the invite to meet for a coffee at the end).

Interesting episode though.

mjwilson

The Adam and Joe show is coming to some streaming service which I've already forgotten the name of.

sutin

Quote from: mjwilson on October 05, 2020, 06:49:39 PM
The Adam and Joe show is coming to some streaming service which I've already forgotten the name of.
It's currently on All4.

madhair60

Yes, and I wish it would get ripped so I could have decent quality backups. :(

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Chriddof on October 03, 2020, 10:16:30 PM
I heard ages ago that he was obsessed with UFOs.

Well having a life long interest in UFO's I thought I would listen to a radio show he did on the subject some time ago. He traveled to the US to try and make sense of the current scene. I found him to have far more nuanced and interesting take than I expected and it didn't take him very long to see it for what it has become, a sort of half baked crazy entertainment industry. He also made quite a fun observation on the matter of 'Indigo Children' (don't waste your time with looking into that crock of shit) in another show which gave me quite a chuckle. I wasn't keen on him before that but then again I had fallen for the media driven narrative to dislike him and I found him quite likeable in the end.

Lost Oliver

I snapped my banjo string twice and it wasn't as painful as you'd imagine but it was horrible. It was one of the first few times I'd had sex and felt this pain but carried on as I just thought: "Oh, maybe this just happens when you have sex.". When I went to the toilet afterwards my pubes were red and I could see the string dangling off the side. Got home and put my member into a bowl with some antibacterial gel and hot water and then went to the doctor a few days later. When I showed him my willy it was so small it was ridiculous. It actually got smaller as I rolled back the hood of it too, somehow. Very embarrassing.

sutin

I thought 'snapping your banjo string' was an urban myth. What is there to snap?

spaghetamine

Quote from: sutin on October 10, 2020, 01:07:00 PM
I thought 'snapping your banjo string' was an urban myth. What is there to snap?

it's 100% real, happened to me in my first year of uni and there was a shit ton of blood, the banjo string is a small flap of skin called the frenulum that connects the forsk to the bell

idunnosomename