Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Nina Conti ramblechat was interesting. Ken Campbell was obviously a pivotal figure in her life, she retains some fondness for him, but it sounds like he was a bit of a cunt.

turnstyle

New one up - Miles Jupp

From 2017. Jupp jokes about Buxton obviously having already used all the best podcasts and 'scraping the barrel'.

frajer

Enjoyed the Jupp one. Nice to hear one from 2017 as (unless I missed it) it didn't hit upon cancel culture, which as has been discussed here does seem something of a podding touchstone for Buckles of late.

Found the chat about both of them having temper problems interesting. That sort of honest back-and-forth is where Buxton's pods always soar for me. Also greatly enjoyed Adam's Guy Ritchie anecdote and that tidbit about Jupp's painful but fascinating day working on Sherlock Holmes.

Wet Blanket

I'm growing concerned about Rosie's apparent despondency of late. Was relieved to hear she'd been on a run the morning of the recording. There's been a couple where he's referred to her being not arsed about a walk

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 06, 2020, 11:48:41 AM
I'm growing concerned about Rosie's apparent despondency of late. Was relieved to hear she'd been on a run the morning of the recording. There's been a couple where he's referred to her being not arsed about a walk

The first post-Rosie Bucklepod will be the saddest thing ever.

non capisco

Quote from: Dusty Substance on November 06, 2020, 04:27:50 PM
The first post-Rosie Bucklepod will be the saddest thing ever.

He does her voice, we need never know.

phantom_power

Quote from: non capisco on November 06, 2020, 04:35:21 PM
He does her voice, we need never know.

He won't be able to not tell us

Wet Blanket

Don't particularly rate Fran Healy or his music but there's some good celebrity goss in the latest one, and I think Buckles
Spoiler alert
making the lead singer of Travis cry by shouting at him
[close]
is the high watermark of his poor anger management anecdotes

PaulTMA

I like how Adam steered this one, which might be a tough sell to many, upon seeing the name Fran Healy - get onto the subject of wanking right away, be sure to bring up his own shameful weird behavior at some point.

Mobbd

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 09, 2020, 09:52:00 PM
I like how Adam steered this one, which might be a tough sell to many, upon seeing the name Fran Healy - get onto the subject of wanking right away, be sure to bring up his own shameful weird behavior at some point.

Yeah, it was sound. I'm no Travis fan but this was fun. Nice chemistry.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fran Healy, to the surprise of absolutely no one, is a nice bloke. His music is what it is (it's nothing), but he's not boring, he's quite sharp and funny. Decent company.

That wedding story is something I can relate to, as it reminds me of getting horribly drunk in my twenties/early thirties, misjudging a joke and generally making a ghastly, tearful, incoherent mess of things. I do not miss those days.

VelourSpirit

really enjoyed the fran healy one
the unfiltered linehan praise was quite uncomfortable, obviously they were talking about 20 years ago but it felt a little bit out of touch
but yeah, good ep, nice people having a nice funny chat

thugler

Yeah i definitely tensed up when they mentioned glinner, was wondering if there'd be a 'he's mad now isn't he' to follow.

I don't think he quite realised why people got sick of Travis fairly quickly, i think it was because of the twee nature of their music, sudden ubiquity. And then their singles began to sound exactly the same after a while, and felt cynical even if they weren't. I recall 'sing' being the peak of people getting utterly sick of them. Surprised simon pegg's wedding was such a big star studded event at that point in time.

Didn't enjoy the wank chat personally. I too was utterly obsessed with big train at the time.. Still think it's some of the best stuff that lot ever did at its best

Johnboy

Why does Adam feel the need to raise uncomfortable personal stuff related to the interviewee

Like playing Robbie Williams the song he made up about him or going over in detail the row he and Fran had

I mean it makes for an ok listen but why does he have to unpack all this stuff?

thugler

Quote from: Johnboy on November 15, 2020, 09:54:46 AM
Why does Adam feel the need to raise uncomfortable personal stuff related to the interviewee

Like playing Robbie Williams the song he made up about him or going over in detail the row he and Fran had

Isn't it probably an attempt to copy marc maron etc and confront his personal issues. Same with his book focusing on his relationship with his dad and childhood rather than his career.

Ferris

thenoise

Quote from: Johnboy on November 15, 2020, 09:54:46 AM

Cos hes insane and treats celebrity interviews as therapy.

Makes for a fun listen tho so whatevs.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: thugler on November 15, 2020, 09:42:58 AMI recall 'sing' being the peak of people getting utterly sick of them

This was the single that had a video where an octopus was thrown around a dinner table. I remember finding that tough to watch on totp.

Spiteface

ProvanFan

And what's the moon? A big balloon!

Dr Trouser

Just listened to the Jupp one. Spent 30 mins trying to look up Milo Calempi's voting record in the house of commons and see what appalled him so much.

Went back to listen only to realise he actually says 'my local mp'. fucksake

Thomas

Listening to the Juppo ep. Pleasant voice. They're chatting about the dissonance of mocking a politician on TV, and then bumping into them in real life, and finding them quite charming or ordinary.

I think I'd find it really easy to square a) attacking Boris Johnson on a panel show, and b) meeting him in real life. Does Boris Johnson give feel cowed when he meets an ordinary person, knowing that policies he's supported have led to the suffering and deaths of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people?[nb]not just this year, but for the last decade.[/nb] No, he fobs them off ASAP and scurries back to elevated society. Fuck 'im.

These people hold millions of vulnerable lives in their hands. Doesn't matter if they're friendly on a train. Check the voting record and destroy away - no apols.[nb]I suppose if you're likely to rub shoulders with Theresa May at the cricket, you're probably less militant than that. That said, Adam seemed more reticent about condemning May than Miles, who - as noted above - obviously cares to examine the voting records of powerful people like the notorious Milo Calempi.[/nb]

I can better understand someone like Charlie Brooker feeling awkward meeting a Big Brother contestant he's savaged - but not an MP with a sociopathic record.

Mobbd

Quote from: Thomas on November 16, 2020, 02:47:02 PM
I think I'd find it really easy to square a) attacking Boris Johnson on a panel show, and b) meeting him in real life. Does Boris Johnson give feel cowed when he meets an ordinary person, knowing that policies he's supported have led to the suffering and deaths of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people?[nb]not just this year, but for the last decade.[/nb] No, he fobs them off ASAP and scurries back to elevated society. Fuck 'im.

Strong agree. Stewart Lee said something similar to the Juppster. He was talking about "old Tories" in general, how they become belatedly nice, and I think he mentioned Michael Portillo in particular. (Interestingly, Herring met Portillo fairly recently on a daytime chat show and said he was an unreasonable bully).

Anyway, my point is that (a) old Tories can afford to be nice and affable off-duty and/or after the fact in part because they've already won and there's nothing to be gained by their looking/acting/smelling like Emperor Palpatine; (b) I think I'd be shaking with silent rage if I had the misfortune to meet one of those cunts socially, so I'm not sure what that says about Leebags or Juppington (as much as I love 'em).

Mobbd

Just an on-topic quickie to do the right thing and say that, for all our criticism in this thread, I think we're fairly united in generally liking Buckles' podcast, aren't we? I for one like it a lot. Love the jingles, the different sonic spaces, the generally-agreeable chat. Even the ads are good!

Adam gives good pod.

Looking forward to his xmas show and another micron of the doodle story!

Thomas

Yeah, I love it. It's my go-to cheery pod, if I need a break from listening to politics and unexplained mysteries. Louis Theroux's eps are always a treat, and I was especially excited to see[nb]hear[/nb] Chris Morris put in an appearance - twice.

Whenever I'm looking for my phone charger, the 'where's my charger gone?' jingle springs into my mind's Spotify.

selectivememory

Yeah, I feel like we've been quite critical of him in recent months, but I still love the guy and really appreciate his podcast.

I have to say as well, after his appearance on Adam's show recently, I have been getting into the Blindboy podcast in the last few weeks. Although his podcasts tend to be monologues, I do get a similar enjoyment out of them to what I get from Adam's, in that he's a just a nice, affable, interesting guy rambling away about whatever's on his mind.

Twit 2

I enjoyed the Jupp one, as I like hearing two wealthy, profligate men (nearly 10 children between them) giving an easy ride to Tories.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 16, 2020, 09:02:17 PM
I enjoyed the Jupp one, as I like hearing two wealthy, profligate men (nearly 10 children between them) giving an easy ride to Tories.

idunnosomename

he platformed Helen Lewis. had a chat with the rest of the Wokerati, and I'm afraid he's cancelled