Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,308
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:10:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: Thomas on November 16, 2020, 04:23:06 PM
Yeah, I love it. It's my go-to cheery pod, if I need a break from listening to politics and unexplained mysteries.

Which Unexplained Mysteries podcasts are the best? I bet I find them too scary to listen to at this time of night, mind.

Thomas

Quote from: Menu on November 17, 2020, 01:57:46 AM
Which Unexplained Mysteries podcasts are the best? I bet I find them too scary to listen to at this time of night, mind.

I like the aptly titled Unexplained - particularly for its atmosphere and its music, which is all originally composed by the creator. He's onto series 4 now, and does seem to be running low on famous unexplained mysteries to cover, but it's one of my favourite pods for a rainy walk.

popcorn

Struggled with Candice. As soon as someone says they're into astrology they might as well be shouting "I AM A FUCKING MORON". It throws everything about their character into question.

Mobbd

Quote from: popcorn on November 17, 2020, 01:20:24 PM
Struggled with Candice. As soon as someone says they're into astrology they might as well be shouting "I AM A FUCKING MORON". It throws everything about their character into question.

To be honest, I was just green with envy at her luck. She got work experience at the Guardian seemingly at random, "subbed for them for a few years," set up a literary prize and then pivoted into writing a bestseller. She said that none of it was planned and that her dream was to be a librarian.

As someone who struggled along as a librarian for years (it's fucking awful), deeply wishing I could work in media and not for wont of trying (a national left-wing broadsheet being the citadel as far as I'm concerned), it was hard to hear this flight of fancy and keep cool.

My life is a Modern Toss cartoon.

Imagine hearing Monbiot say that all he ever wanted was to clean the bogs.

Astrology might be the way forward. I'll put my Dawkins books in the bin, I reckon. Been thinking of doing that for a while to be fair.

thugler

Quote from: popcorn on November 17, 2020, 01:20:24 PM

I think a lot of people (my gf included) are into it for a bit of fun rather than a sincere belief, which is surely fine? I just found her a bit boring really. No inclination to read her book. That guy adam was obsessed with the daily routine of sounds like a douche as well.

Menu

Menu

Quote from: Thomas on November 17, 2020, 12:25:10 PM
I like the aptly titled Unexplained - particularly for its atmosphere and its music, which is all originally composed by the creator. He's onto series 4 now, and does seem to be running low on famous unexplained mysteries to cover, but it's one of my favourite pods for a rainy walk.

Thank you, I'll check it out!

popcorn

Quote from: thugler on November 17, 2020, 07:09:48 PM
I think a lot of people (my gf included) are into it for a bit of fun rather than a sincere belief, which is surely fine?

Can't speak for your girlfriend's interpretation but Candice mentioned she found it a "useful way of understanding people", had checked that it worked by making predictions about people she spoke to, and that it should be respected like religions.

thugler

Quote from: popcorn on November 17, 2020, 08:18:44 PM
Can't speak for your girlfriend's interpretation but Candice mentioned she found it a "useful way of understanding people", had checked that it worked by making predictions about people she spoke to, and that it should be respected like religions.

Yeah, for my gf it seems to exist somewhere between religious belief and a vague sense of it's accuracy. It's very mild in her case and I think more of a jokey thing, but I just think it's such obvious rubbish it does annoy me a bit. It's all confirmation bias really.

Menu

Quote from: popcorn on November 17, 2020, 08:18:44 PM

Christ.

Thomas

I've never listened to Travis - beyond overhearing the hits from time to time - but I enjoyed Franpod.

Just at the closing bookend of the podcast, with Adam on a bucolic night-time walk counting bats. If I was Adam, I'd secretly do a few of these as Foley pieces in a studio. Trudging on the spot, snapping twigs, pretending to see a pheasant.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Thomas on November 18, 2020, 02:22:35 PM
Just at the closing bookend of the podcast, with Adam on a bucolic night-time walk counting bats. If I was Adam, I'd secretly do a few of these as Foley pieces in a studio. Trudging on the spot, snapping twigs, pretending to see a pheasant.

People would tell it was sound effects though somehow. The people who listen to his podcasts are a bunch of sound experts and amateur studio engineers who are always complaining about mouth noises, eating/drinking noises, background noises on his podcasts. I'm not fussed about it, I listen to it while driving. But it breaks my heart a bit like on one recently where Adam felt he had to do a special jingle disclaimer to warn of upcoming chewing noises on account of some fusspot who complained about that sort of thing.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Menu on November 17, 2020, 09:01:49 PM
Christ.

her conversation about this with her agent is notable as that's Jo Unwin, former Fist of Fun collaborator and Mrs Christopher Morris

Pranet

Thomas

I've just done a rundown of every personality trait of every star sign, and found that they can broadly be applied to every human being ever to live.

I propose a merger of all the existing star signs into a single, super-accurate star sign. People born between January and December are liable to be outgoing/intelligent/funny/impulsive/introverted/gullible.

popcorn

Quote from: Thomas on November 19, 2020, 01:01:40 PM
People born between January and December are liable to be outgoing/intelligent/funny/impulsive/introverted/gullible.

That does sound like me.

lb99

I love that Adam introduced Candice by talking about her book that deals with macro and micro-aggressions, and then the first thing he says to her is a micro-aggression ("so how do you pronounce your name?").

Wet Blanket

20 minutes of Adam and Joe chat on the godawful NME website

robhug

I forgot Joe's playing Mr Creosote in the Meaning of Life stage play

Menu

Menu

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 19, 2020, 11:01:22 AM
her conversation about this with her agent is notable as that's Jo Unwin, former Fist of Fun collaborator and Mrs Christopher Morris

Why? Is Unwin into it all as well then?

popcorn

Quote from: Menu on November 19, 2020, 10:59:42 PM
Why? Is Unwin into it all as well then?

I think Candice says Unwin said to her something like "isn't it all bollocks though" and Candice said "would you be saying that to someone who was religious?" and Unwin's response was something alike "ooer no I wouldn't you've got me there"

Menu

Quote from: popcorn on November 19, 2020, 11:25:06 PM
I think Candice says Unwin said to her something like "isn't it all bollocks though" and Candice said "would you be saying that to someone who was religious?" and Unwin's response was something alike "ooer no I wouldn't you've got me there"

UNWIN ON THE ROPES THERE.  I never forgave her for cheating on Kevin Eldon with Ted Danson.

olliebean

Isn't religion all bollocks too, though?

thugler

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 19, 2020, 03:25:55 PM
20 minutes of Adam and Joe chat on the godawful NME website

That's really nice! I still slightly hope that Joe gets sick of directing and goes back to the double act. It just seems an incredible amount of time to spend with only 2 films to come out of it, neither all that amazing (admittedly I've not seen the 2nd one)

Menu

Quote from: thugler on November 20, 2020, 09:06:43 PM
That's really nice! I still slightly hope that Joe gets sick of directing and goes back to the double act. It just seems an incredible amount of time to spend with only 2 films to come out of it, neither all that amazing (admittedly I've not seen the 2nd one)

I prefer Adam without Joe. I find Joe sneering and mediocre. I preferred Adam with Louis(obvs) but also with fucking Edith. Joe would often ruin the show - his own show! - by treading all over Adam's flights of fancy before they even got going. Or he would just refuse to accept something Adam was doing was funny and would let it die horribly. I found that a bit snide and it made me uncomfortable. Also he sounds camp and had a really posh voice as a child.

Menu

Also he's one of those thin fat men, like snooker player Mark Williams.

popcorn

Adam is LOVELY

Joe is LOVELY

Adam and Joe are both LOVELY

Menu

Quote from: popcorn on November 20, 2020, 10:13:41 PM
Adam is LOVELY

Joe is LOVELY

Adam and Joe are both LOVELY

WHAT ABOUT GARTH JENNINGS?