Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:05:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

(Actually that's a joe one I think?)

Ferris

Everyone's favourite Villa fan Benjamin Zephaniah on this week. He's a lovely bloke so assuming this is a nice listen.

Just booting it up now. Nice one.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 30, 2020, 12:20:01 AM
Everyone's favourite Villa fan Benjamin Zephaniah on this week. He's a lovely bloke so assuming this is a nice listen.

Just booting it up now. Nice one.

I enjoyed that one. As you say, Zephaniah is a lovely bloke. The subject matter is rather bleak at times, but he's so open and likeable it's never truly depressing (although Adam's warning at the start should definitely be heeded by those its kindly aimed at).

Crabwalk

Zephaniah is such a lovely bloke and very engaging on the podcast. He did give me one of the biggest cringe moments of my life though, when I was 17 and met him at a poetry reading.

Our English teacher took us to see him and it was great, and our group got to chat to him afterwards. One of the students complimented him on his bountiful dreadlocks, he thanked them and asked us all how you could tell how old someone's dreadlocks are. I piped up with 'do you cut them and count the rings?'

Reader, he did not laugh and neither did anyone else. He acted like he didn't get it and swiftly changed the subject, but I suspect he either thought my joke was horribly offensive or just too crap to acknowledge. It still bothers me.

Jumblegraws

I would like to know the actual answer to that question.

Ham Bap

Quote from: Crabwalk on December 01, 2020, 10:19:00 AM
Zephaniah is such a lovely bloke and very engaging on the podcast. He did give me one of the biggest cringe moments of my life though when I was about 17 and met him at a poetry reading.

Our English teacher took us to see him and it was great, and our group got to chat to him afterwards. One of the group complimented him on his bountiful dreadlocks, he thanked them and asked us how you could tell how old someone's dreadlocks are? I piped up with 'do you cut them and count the rings?'

Reader, he did not laugh and neither did anyone else. He acted like he didn't get it and swiftly changed the subject, but I suspect he either thought my joke was horribly offensive or just too crap to acknowledge. It still bothers me.

Perhaps it rolled around in his head for 10 years and he woke up laughing one morning.

lankyguy95

It's a pretty good joke. You didn't get a just response.

petril

Quote from: Thomas on November 19, 2020, 01:01:40 PM
I've just done a rundown of every personality trait of every star sign, and found that they can broadly be applied to every human being ever to live.

I propose a merger of all the existing star signs into a single, super-accurate star sign. People born between January and December are liable to be outgoing/intelligent/funny/impulsive/introverted/gullible.

we just need to contain it to Russell Grant on bingo night live reeling off all 12 in three minutes

Twonty Gostelow

Zephaniah is such a lovely bloke and very engaging on the podcast. He did give me one of the biggest cringe moments of my life though, when I was 17 and met him at a poetry reading.

Our English teacher took us to see him and it was great, and our group got to chat to him afterwards. One of the students complimented him on his bountiful dreadlocks, he thanked them and asked us all how you could tell how old someone's dreadlocks are. I piped up with 'do you cut them and count the rings?'

Had a similar experience at my school. I told him his hair reminded me of his poetry - completely dreadful.

frajer

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 02, 2020, 09:28:01 AM
Had a similar experience at my school. I told him his hair reminded me of his poetry - completely dreadful.

Did he laugh?

Listened to this one yesterday at work and enjoyed it. It was a more serious Ramblechat but to be honest it was quite cathartic to hear someone talking about Covid seriously and describing its impact on his loved ones. I've had family members catch it and it was absolutely shit seeing the toll it took, which I think is why it pisses me off when people are so glib about it.

Definitely a good break from the "online shopping doesn't always arrive on time, does it? And I miss going the beach" type of podcast interview which are becoming a bit tiresome.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: frajer on December 02, 2020, 09:37:44 AM
Did he laugh?

Don't think he got it. I definitely should have come down on the dread a bit harder.

abobo

One of the students complimented him on his bountiful dreadlocks, he thanked them and asked us all how you could tell how old someone's dreadlocks are

How can you tell ?

thenoise

Simply observe how badly they stink.

Virgo76

This week, Rachel Bloom star of the underrated (or at least not seen by enough people) musical comedy series, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.
A good chat. Highlight was probably the discussion on whether American actors are better at doing British accents than Brits are better at doing American accents or vice versa.

Pranet

And also, apparently the next guest is someone we will know who it was a bit nerve wracking to interview?

madhair60

Quote from: Pranet on December 06, 2020, 06:45:40 PM
And also, apparently the next guest is someone we will know who it was a bit nerve wracking to interview?

Dracula!

Icehaven

Quote from: Virgo76 on December 06, 2020, 03:37:21 PM
This week, Rachel Bloom star of the underrated (or at least not seen by enough people) musical comedy series, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I've been working through these in chronological order but I'm going to have to jump a few years now as I have to hear this one.

Mister Six

Boo, still don't see the Rachel Bloom one yet on my PodBean app. Does it go up on some paid subscription site first?

Menu

Blodwyn Pig?

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on December 07, 2020, 01:20:03 AM
Boo, still don't see the Rachel Bloom one yet on my PodBean app. Does it go up on some paid subscription site first?

Appeared on the RSS feed yesterday.

turnstyle

Hitler?

Drygate

The accents in the Rachel Bloom one were funny. Her cockney one was very good. Well worth a listen

Does anyone ever Google the guest if they've not heard of them before to see what they look like?

phantom_power

Kyle Rittenhouse?

frajer

Great energy in the Bloom ep, she comes across so well. I laughed when she corrected Adam on Northern Ireland and then sang,
Spoiler alert
"IIIII'm an expert on the Troubles."
[close]

Pranet

I'm wondering if the next guest is Paul McCartney. New album out, has done podcasts before.

turnstyle

Quote from: Pranet on December 07, 2020, 05:12:34 PM
I'm wondering if the next guest is Paul McCartney. New album out, has done podcasts before.

No mate, pretty sure its Hitler. He's got a cookbook out.

Pranet

Could be Graham Linehan of course. We all know him, and I imagine Adam would find interviewing him pretty stressful. It is definitely him.

frajer

Quote from: Pranet on December 07, 2020, 05:28:55 PM
Could be Graham Linehan of course. We all know him, and I imagine Adam would find interviewing him pretty stressful. It is definitely him.

Could be but I can't think of anything Graham would have on his mind to discuss.