Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:01:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

I remember All Night Garage absolutely trouncing 'Christmas Party Time'.

phes

Quote from: JamesTC on December 28, 2020, 12:46:11 AM
Listening to the first XFM show now. Pierce Brosnan is the current Bond. Madness.

Them having callers in is what really makes the XFM shows as good as they are

Indeed (spoiler for excellent XFM call that is probably worth waiting for)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNcPFii0nao

Nelson

I still really miss the 6music show. Podcasts are fine but those two doing live radio was a joy and there isn't anything like that show around.

bgmnts

Spotify somehow have every single Gerv, Smerch and Pilkers XFM show on their podcasts section. Fuck knows how but they do.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: phes on January 15, 2021, 11:14:19 PM
Indeed (spoiler for excellent XFM call that is probably worth waiting for)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNcPFii0nao

I knew it was going to be that call before I clicked the link. "Wunnee the boy on the bike?" Brilliant.

Phil_A

Quote from: TommyTurnips on January 16, 2021, 02:21:57 PM
I knew it was going to be that call before I clicked the link. "Wunnee the boy on the bike?" Brilliant.

It was either gonna be that one or the guy who was calling from work(as a chef?) but appeared to be drunk to the point of being incomprehensible, much to Joe's delight.

Here he is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZjZPNWJ9k

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Phil_A on January 16, 2021, 06:08:57 PM
It was either gonna be that one or the guy who was calling from work(as a chef?) but appeared to be drunk to the point of being incomprehensible, much to Joe's delight.

Here he is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZjZPNWJ9k

Great to hear that again, Joe really goes for him. Adam is great, but Joe's anarchic willingness to push the line used to really round out the partnership and give them an edge

popcorn

Since it hasn't been posted here yet, here's the new Buxton/Bowie animation.

JamesTC

Got up the XFM show with the rubbish DVD game that Joe got at Christmas. It has always been one of my favourite Adam and Joe bits.

TommyTurnips

I just remembered another great xfm call. A child called in to celebrity regression and gave "Dot Cotton" as a completely genuine answer. Lots of laughing and general piss taking ensued as the subject of that segment is normally a film star not a soap actor. Then the kids dad apparently contacted them for laughing at their kids response to the wrong answer. I wonder if that bit is floating around out there.

Sean Ymphs

If we're doing favourite XFM calls, I love this caller's very dry responses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roC9AgU0HB8

From Stewart Lee's latest newsletter:

"I asked Adam if I could go on this massively popular podcast and he said yes which was very kind of him. It was fun hearing his Mark E Smith story from the horse's mouth and he asked me hard questions of the type I usually avoid."

non capisco

Mister Six

Ooh, I don't ever check my emails but a Stewart Lee newsletter might get me to do it regularly...

Sonny_Jim

Popbitch is practically the only email outside of admin chuff I actually read nowadays.  Oh and the B3ta one.

Should be a good one, Adam is fairly disarming, but stage persona Stew is completely different to podcast interview Stew so it should be some chuckles.

Spode

Haven't got a link, but the guy who goes from asking 'what's an anecdote?' to thinking he's winning a DVD called Anecdote, to calling Joe a name dropper when he actually hears his anecdote is my favourite XFM call.

Ferris

Another tediously obsessed Stewart Lee fan here[nb]but I liked him before he got big, yeah?[/nb]. I am really looking forward to this!

non capisco

It's just dropped, Mr. Stew fans!

sutin

Ohhh, i'm looking forward to this. The few times i've heard them chatting they had good chemistry.

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on January 31, 2021, 06:21:40 PM
It's just dropped, Mr. Stew fans!

Lovely stuff, thanks! Will put it on while I shallow fry these onions (not a euphemism).

VelourSpirit

I just made an involuntary gasping nose like "AWHWHH" seeing his name in my rss feed

Icehaven

I've been listening to these in order, and I'm only up to the 60s (currently on A&J Christmas 2017) but might have to make an exception for this one.

poo

Virgo76

It's good.
I was less up on the music stuff they discussed. Good on their comedy careers and how they were both basically jealous of each other in the mid 90s. Hadn't realised Lee didn't really benefit financially from Jerry Springer.

Ferris

The music discussion is nice for a whippersnapper like me. I'd never heard of Laurie Anderson but O Superman is terrific, and I doubt I would have come across it without Stew and Buckles mentioning it.

Twit 2

jsgibble

I adore the "mate" bit too.

There's an earlier version of it here https://youtu.be/dpbmfEs07sQ?t=2392 "They all stick up for him because they all live free in houses that he owns"

There's also the episode of Comedy Vehicle, series 4 episode 4, where he talks a bit about the younger comics. "And the problem with that routine, I read on facebook"

Mobbd

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 01, 2021, 06:56:32 AM
Really enjoyed the Lee one.

Yes, it was absolutely superb. Every moment. Not just a great Buxton but one of the great interviews full-stop.

The chemistry between them was perfect, both were on form, Adam was respectful but challenging, and Stew had some fascinating insights and stories. Densely packed with useful cultural information and things to look up later. Nice work, Buckles.

The whole "Mate!" story. Haha. Awesome. The crash helmet.

Crabwalk

A cracking ramble chat. I was at that 100 Club show where they shared a bill with David Cross so it was especially great to hear that little Mr Show / Spice Girls anecdote. The whole episode was full of lovely little bits like that.

Interesting that Stew asked Adam if he could come on the podcast and not vice-versa. I know he's in promotional mode for the Nightingales doc, but someone must've had a whisper with him that it'd be a good platform.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was also at that 100 Club gig. It was an amazing line up. Do you, or anyone else, happen to remember another person on the bill that night? A nerdy looking bloke who never said a word, just repeatedly nodded at the audience.