Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Oh sweet, new episode with Tony Law just up, unexpected treat.

thugler

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on February 15, 2021, 05:28:36 PM
Oh sweet, new episode with Tony Law just up, unexpected treat.

Isn't he CANCELLED?

I can't remember why, but he was right?

Quote from: thugler on February 15, 2021, 05:31:34 PM
Isn't he CANCELLED?

Weird, one of my friends said that to me the other day. His Twitter is pretty incomprehensible, I've seen a few vague comments from him about 'cancel culture,' but I don't think I've heard anything too bad from him yet.

Verdict - not cancelled (pending listening to the pod).

selectivememory

Isn't he CANCELLED?

I vaguely recall some chat on here about him. I can't remember what exactly, maybe something like he'd gone a bit right wing. I don't really know much about him or his work, so I've never really looked into it though.

Anyway, doesn't come up at all on this episode, which is a good one.

He's involved with Comedy Unleashed in some form, the "free speech" comedy night that had Toby Young do stand up

selectivememory

Yeah, I've found a little mention of him in the Will Franken thread from last year, which must have been what I remembered: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,80179.msg4147193.html#msg4147193

Pink Gregory

I was watching/listening to a Trashfuture (leftist shitpost podcast) adjacent stream over the washing up and a 'TonyLawComic' or something similar followed the guy doing the stream.

Small pickings, but it's made me doubt that he's gone reactionary/anti-woke or whatever

McFlymo

Aye, he did that Comedy Unleashed thing and started along some Brexit stuff, but didn't quite commit, other than to say the English people were very strong in the opinions either way. I think he also toyed with some "you can't say anything these days" type stuff in that performance, but wasn't totally committed to that either.

He's a bit like that, isn't he? A bit sort of non-committal about everything he does. Meh...

Does he get away with being so average because he has such a sweet and charming air about him?

Anyway, I'm about to dive into this latest pod.
I predict lots of underwhelmed laughs from Adam.
Hope I'm wrong.

Mister Six

I keep thinking people are referring to Tony Way.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: McFlymo on February 16, 2021, 01:35:48 AM
He's a bit like that, isn't he? A bit sort of non-committal about everything he does. Meh...

Does he get away with being so average because he has such a sweet and charming air about him?

I think he's a great comedian, he doesn't just get by on sweetness and charm alone. There's an internal logic and glimpses of introspection in everything he does, even when it sounds like he's just talking stream-of-consciousness bollocks. There's definitely more to him than whimsy and nonsense (not that there's anything wrong with whimsy and nonsense, when done well at least).

Anyway, I'm about to dive into this latest pod.
I predict lots of underwhelmed laughs from Adam.
Hope I'm wrong.

He's not 'on' during the podcast, so you may be pleasantly surprised. He's naturally funny and likeable, but he's chatting as himself for once.

As for his involvement with that freeze peach comedy night, I hope it's just a case of him not giving much thought to what those nights represent. Which sounds quite patronising, I know, he's a grown man who can think for himself. But I would be massively surprised and disappointed if the goofy, sweet-natured Tony Law is some sort of reactionary arsehole on the sly. It doesn't compute.

McFlymo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 16, 2021, 02:44:18 AM
I think he's a great comedian, he doesn't just get by on sweetness and charm alone. There's an internal logic and glimpses of introspection in everything he does, even when it sounds like he's just talking stream-of-consciousness bollocks. There's definitely more to him than whimsy and nonsense (not that there's anything wrong with whimsy and nonsense, when done well at least).

I like the idea of what he does: The messiness, looseness, not being too tied down to structure, the improvisation of it. And yeah, I get that he's put thought into how he deviates from expectations and so on. I like the playfulness (and sort of innocence) of his stuff. When I saw him live, a couple of years ago, I thought it was OK. I'm just always left a bit underwhelmed.

Enjoying the podcast though. It is nice to hear him "out of character"

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Mister Six on February 16, 2021, 02:24:41 AM
I keep thinking people are referring to Tony Way.

Same here, every time I see his name mentioned. And it's always a bit of a disappointment because I prefer Tony Way. Whatever happened to the Thomas and Way podcast anyway?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 16, 2021, 06:49:30 PM
Whatever happened to the Thomas and Way podcast anyway?

As much as I champion editing and structure when it comes to podcasts, I was a huge fan of the rambling shambles of the Thomas And Way podcast.

Don't know for sure, but I  guess they stopped doing it before Rhys said something he shouldn't and he probably wants to keep working in the biz.

frajer

Yeah Rhys really had no filter, in a way that led to some excellent behind-the-scenes tales. An absolutely fantastic shambles of a pod.

Listened to Buxton's Tony Law episode this morning and it was pleasant enough but I've already forgotten almost everything about it. Liked that Adam's "confident stage man" voice was inspired by Law.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 16, 2021, 06:49:30 PM
Whatever happened to the Thomas and Way podcast anyway?

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 17, 2021, 03:02:37 PM
Don't know for sure, but I  guess they stopped doing it before Rhys said something he shouldn't and he probably wants to keep working in the biz.

IIRC they only stopped because they were both getting so busy (Tony was just starting to have a bit of a "Hollywood career", and Rhys was busy with various TV projects, and wasn't he working on a Queen biopic that never happened?) their schedules never matched up.

It WAS a great podcast, but I didn't like the ones (only two I think?) where Rhys was shit-faced, because all he did was just shout and tell the same bit of a story over and over again.  Tony held his booze much better.

lb99

Rhys moved to LA, so it was tricky for them to share a Red Stripe and record together.

non capisco

I used to love that podcast, although the episode where Rhys got drunk and shouted at his Siri for half an hour was dreadful. Conversely, the one with the inside stories about Sean Lock bullying him on Eight Out Of Ten Cats and Mark Lamarr being a cunt on a Shooting Stars tour is one of the greatest episodes of any podcast anywhere.

Magnum Valentino

Apart from getting sober after years of destructive alcoholism which I think he deserves credit for.

As far as his material goes, I don't think commitment is in his nature. He's always looking for something funnier.

amateur

Quote from: non capisco on February 17, 2021, 09:10:37 PM
I used to love that podcast, although the episode where Rhys got drunk and shouted at his Siri for half an hour was dreadful. Conversely, the one with the inside stories about Sean Lock bullying him on Eight Out Of Ten Cats and Mark Lamarr being a cunt on a Shooting Stars tour is one of the greatest episodes of any podcast anywhere.

Would listen - do you remember which one it was?

SteveDave

Quote from: lb99 on February 17, 2021, 04:14:34 PM
Rhys moved to LA, so it was tricky for them to share a Red Stripe and record together.

He's back now or he was before Christmas. He lives on my road. I am not a stalker.

There's an American comedy director called Rhys Thomas already (done that Sack Lunch Bunch with John Mulaney, created and made Documentary Now!), probably kept getting all the jobs UK Rhys went for.

non capisco

Quote from: amateur on February 18, 2021, 10:14:51 AM
Would listen - do you remember which one it was?

Afraid not but it would be in one of the original 2012 run which I seem to remember are all worth listening to and all have some good stories. If I say 'Brian Blessed' you'll know what I mean when you get there.

stephenjwz

Isn't he CANCELLED?

I think he was going on about how great fellow Albertan Jordan Peterson is on his podcast.

VelourSpirit

Oh yeah, there wasn't an A Year in the Life of a Year this year! That's a shame

The latest episode with Roisin Murphy of Moloko fame is great. She's a right laugh - very funny and full of stories.

Also, it ends with
Spoiler alert
a musical 'collab' between Roisin and Adam. A delightful, silly thing. Oddly comforting too.
[close]

Crabwalk

Really, really fun episode. Roisin is a great bunch of lads. I wish I was stuck in Ibiza with her, drinking lager and smoking fags.