Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

Quote from: amateur on February 18, 2021, 06:13:40 PM
Lovely stuff, thank you.

Another thank you from me. Loving this pod.

NPC explanation: Thomas and Way pod. Really funny and real.

Johnboy

really enjoyed Adam's recent appearance on the Album to Album podcast discussing Scary Monsters

he was gracious, funny, insightful, what a card.

Ferris

Quote from: Johnboy on February 25, 2021, 09:16:49 PM
really enjoyed Adam's recent appearance on the Album to Album podcast discussing Scary Monsters

he was gracious, funny, insightful, what a card.

He seems to be a really nice guy all round.

Drygate

New Louis Theroux up.

I really liked the Tony Law one. I had no idea who he was and thought the chat was great.

I especially liked the bit when he said he was poor and lived in a tiny flat in Islington and felt a bit of a failure as all the other parents at his kids' primary school were rich and lived in mansions but then they all disappeared as they sent their kids to private school secondary people and he then felt more comfortable with the other parents that were left in the state school system.

Naturally Buckles didn't really respond and quickly changed the subject!

Adam mentioned the Alexi Sayle bike ride thing so I looked as his podcast and as he had had Stewart Lee on, decided to listened to that.

Stewart Lee was interesting but Alexi Sayle is awful isn't he? Can't string a sentence together and seems like a right twat. Is he really some kind of national treasure?

He said he had a bad experience on the Owen Jones podcast so I'm tempted to listen to that just to hear him get savaged...

EOLAN

Quote from: Drygate on March 01, 2021, 10:33:29 AM
Adam mentioned the Alexi Sayle bike ride thing so I looked as his podcast and as he had had Stewart Lee on, decided to listened to that.

Stewart Lee was interesting but Alexi Sayle is awful isn't he? Can't string a sentence together and seems like a right twat. Is he really some kind of national treasure?

He said he had a bad experience on the Owen Jones podcast so I'm tempted to listen to that just to hear him get savaged...

Can see where you are coming from in the Lee-Sayle discussion, though it wouldn't necessarily be my own view.
Although I would believe that if you do give the Jones and Sayle interview a go that you will find that Sayle takes the role of the concise coherent one while Jones' is rambling in circles trying the best to say nothing in five minute monologues. 

Drygate

Yeah, I've never really taken in any Sayle stuff. I remember him being on the TV when I was a kid and he's always been around but I've never heard or seen any of his stuff.

I'm sure he's great and all but I found his stuttering and way of speaking hard to take.

Sonny_Jim

Yeah his delivery can get a bit annoying I suppose, but that's half the charm I reckon, when he goes all mental and shouty.  He's not great on Podcasts either (even on his own), check out Imaginary Sandwich Bar as that's probably the best thing he's done for a while and puts him in a situation where he works best, as a stand up.

The Louis episode was good, nice to hear some audience questions rather than just Buxton.  Bit weird that he's sat on it since 2019 though, I guess he was keeping it in the bag for a special occasion.

Drygate

Thanks, will check out the Sandwich Bar.

thugler

Quote from: EOLAN on March 01, 2021, 10:41:50 AM
Can see where you are coming from in the Lee-Sayle discussion, though it wouldn't necessarily be my own view.
Although I would believe that if you do give the Jones and Sayle interview a go that you will find that Sayle takes the role of the concise coherent one while Jones' is rambling in circles trying the best to say nothing in five minute monologues.

I thought they were both fine, and probably agreed on a lot of stuff, but the difference was Sayle is completely uninterested in how he comes across and in will just say what he thinks quite happily, while Jones is utterly focused on being careful with how he states things so as not to have his words twisted and ensure everything he says acknowledges all of the nuance you could possibly give. I understand why each of them take this approach and it makes sense for both of them really. There's really no point in Jones saying broad stuff about the antisemitism crisis/Labour leadership that can be used against him as a prominent figure in the media. And equally it's totally fair for Sayle to be unsatisfied at his refusal to point out the bullshit in a more clear cut fashion.

I love Sayle's podcast for exactly this reason btw.

Mobbd

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on March 01, 2021, 10:59:26 AM
The Louis episode was good, nice to hear some audience questions rather than just Buxton.  Bit weird that he's sat on it since 2019 though, I guess he was keeping it in the bag for a special occasion.

I enjoyed it but I swear I've heard it before. Maybe the venue posted it back in 2019? The bit about Louis' interview style was familiar from the get-go but when Adam cited the academic from Glasgow University, I knew I'd heard it before. Any ideas?

phes

Same here, convinced I've heard it before but can't pin down where

Mobbd

Are you speaking from some sort of Mandela Effect universe? Can't string a sentence? Right twat? Not my read of him at all. Doubt many other people here would agree with you either.

Check out the Alexei Sayle Podcast thread for some opinions on Sayle/Lee and Jones/Sayle: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,83884.msg4474945.html#msg4474945

Mobbd

Quote from: phes on March 01, 2021, 05:25:28 PM
Same here, convinced I've heard it before but can't pin down where

Think I've got it. South Bank Centre podcast. Same basic thing with the 'interview style' deju-vu moment included. Fairly different though, with difference audience questions etc. https://soundcloud.com/southbankcentre_book_podcast/louis-theroux-conversation-adam-buxton

lankyguy95

Max Clifford planting stories in the press that Louis had bad breath is hilarious. The stories of Clifford's nastiness never surprise me but the stories of his pettiness frequently approach the comical.

McFlymo

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on March 01, 2021, 10:59:26 AM
Yeah his delivery can get a bit annoying I suppose, but that's half the charm I reckon, when he goes all mental and shouty.  He's not great on Podcasts either (even on his own), check out Imaginary Sandwich Bar as that's probably the best thing he's done for a while and puts him in a situation where he works best, as a stand up.

Was going to recommend Imaginary Sandwich Bar as well. I absolutely loved it. I love Alexei Sayle, and his chat with Stewart Lee was even better than the one Lee did with Adam Buxton, I thought. They get into some obscure comedy history, a fair bit of politics and there's some good slagging between the two of them. They obviously have a lot of respect for each other and it's great to hear them get deep.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Alexi Sayle is awful isn't he?

You're awful, and you can't even spell his name properly.

Only joking! Alexei is brilliant, an absolute hero. Please do check out his oeuvre if you can.

He's very articulate and fluent, so I don't really understand your criticism of him.

phes

Saw him a couple of years back in Manchester and he was pretty shit and seemed drunk. It was disappointing. 

Drygate

I will check out some more of his podcast and his Radio 4 show.

I found him hard going as he stops sentences half way through, tries to restructure them, then seems to give up.

Lots of umming and ahing.

That sort of thing.

I guess I'm being petty but I find it hard to follow and get frustrated by it.

Maybe his scripted stuff is more polished or he was having a bad day in the Lee one?

Cold Meat Platter

Chalk me up as someone else who has absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Mobbd

Quote from: Drygate on March 01, 2021, 08:28:28 PM
Maybe his scripted stuff is more polished or he was having a bad day in the Lee one?

I just find this extraordinary. The Sayle/Lee conversation was one of the best ramblechat-type podcasts I've ever listened to. Chemistry, anecdotes, wit, analysis, honesty, factual nuggets, coming to terms with their legacies, the way Alexei's finally triumphantly got into the spirit of podcasting after a few experiments, the way Stew could drop out of promo mode now that the film's. It was just great!

It did strike me that Alexei seemed to very obviously run out of steam right at the end and was keen to end the conversation, while Stew seemed like he was just getting warmed up.

Drygate

I kind of felt like he couldn't be arsed for most of it and was just going through the motions.

Maybe he was tired which is why he couldn't get his words out in any coherent way.

I'll listen to some others to see what's what.

It kind of reminded me of The Streets on Scroobious Pip's podcast where he could barely string a sentence together.

colacentral

He obviously couldn't be arsed, he kept saying as much, but that didn't hamper my enjoyment of it at all when he's as naturally funny as he is, and he has great chemistry with Lee.

In fact, it's his "not arsed" quality that I like. He writes and performs because he has to express his thoughts and because he enjoys doing it. He has too much integrity to feel comfortable selling himself. His Owen Jones interview is painful to watch because he barely tries to hide how little he wants to be doing it, clearly just doing interviews out of a sense of obligation to his podcast producers, but I wish more people struggled as much as him to be dishonest.

Retinend

I enjoyed the latest Louis Theroux one - his episodes of the Adam Buxton Podcast are by far the best, in my book.

He had an interesting thing to say about eating disorders. After he had answered a question about the film "Leaving Neverland" and Michael Jackson's pedophilia, he was given a different question by an audience member who had been resident at the same clinic that he had visited for his documentary on the subject of eating disorders.

Louis begins his answer by saying that people with eating disorders usually have a conscientious attitude to other aspects of their life - especially regarding obligations to others - yet somehow they allow themselves to suffer terribly. He then blurts out "like how we were talking about Michael Jackson, it's a disease that grooms you"

- just when you think that this is an absurd proposition, he carries it off by continuing -

"it flatters you and convinces you it has all the answers, and that you can depend upon it, and all the while it has another agenda - to undermine and abuse you."

I think that's an excellent point well made - and it makes sense in the light of other disorders/addictions too.

https://play.acast.com/s/adambuxton/ep.150-louistherouxliveattheroyalfestivalhall2019 go to 31 minutes for the bit I mean

Pink Gregory

Getting through the latest batch today.  Turned off the Elizabeth Day one after a while; I just sort of really can't stand generally neurotypical people talking shop about their 'method'.  The phrase 'an algorithm for happiness' really just threw me over the edge.  I just didn't want to be in that room any more.

sutin

I can't imagine not finding Alexei Sayle completely endearing.

Retinend

Quote from: sutin on March 02, 2021, 04:23:48 PM
I can't imagine not finding Alexei Sayle completely endearing.

I wonder if this is a generational thing - I get the feeling that if you grew up with The Young Ones then you love him, but if you didn't (and I didn't) then you don't.

Bernice

I didn't and I think he's great. But I could be an outlier.

Ferris

^same as Bernice for me as well.

SpiderChrist

Alexei is my god. Or he would be, if I had to have one.