Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:45:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Quote from: Retinend on March 03, 2021, 08:18:23 AM
I wonder if this is a generational thing - I get the feeling that if you grew up with The Young Ones then you love him, but if you didn't (and I didn't) then you don't.
Quote from: Bernice on March 03, 2021, 10:05:04 AM
I didn't and I think he's great. But I could be an outlier.
Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 03, 2021, 10:40:47 AM
^same as Bernice for me as well.
Quote from: SpiderChrist on March 03, 2021, 10:49:42 AM
Alexei is my god. Or he would be, if I had to have one.

I'm willing to be proven wrong - let's put it to a poll:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,85498.0.html

sutin

Quote from: Retinend on March 03, 2021, 08:18:23 AM
I wonder if this is a generational thing - I get the feeling that if you grew up with The Young Ones then you love him, but if you didn't (and I didn't) then you don't.

I only ever saw The Young Ones ocassionally when I was a teenager. I just like Alexei, he's warm and silly.

Retinend

I'm already getting trounced. Turns out I'm the outlier!

phantom_power

He is a firebrand as well, and has the courage of his convictions. It is interesting that his position is "Labour have reverted back to the useless shit they have always been" with Starmer rather than the more conventional "Labour have been lost to the soft left and centrists" of most other proper lefties

Mobbd

Quote from: phantom_power on March 03, 2021, 11:51:14 AM
He is a firebrand as well, and has the courage of his convictions. It is interesting that his position is "Labour have reverted back to the useless shit they have always been" with Starmer rather than the more conventional "Labour have been lost to the soft left and centrists" of most other proper lefties

Strong agree. If his earlier pods are anything to go by, he's always hated the Labour Party for their lack of radical oomph, establishment feebleness and scent of corruption, only coming in from the cold under (I think) Foot and (clearly) Corbyn.

Mobbd

Just further to something retinend said earlier, Sayle isn't generally seen as a national treasure. He's a founding father of alternative comedy.

phantom_power

I think all that Jackie Weaver stuff is an example of the reasons why he hates the Labour party. All caught up in red tape and political infighting than actually trying to affect social change

Dusty Substance

Louis so much finnier, likeable and entertaining than Joe.

C_Larence

Quote from: phantom_power on March 03, 2021, 01:09:08 PM
I think all that Jackie Weaver stuff is an example of the reasons why he hates the Labour party. All caught up in red tape and political infighting than actually trying to affect social change

Jackie Weaver is a tory

phantom_power

One for the Fuck My Hat thread

EOLAN

The Torvil and Dean episode is finally here.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: EOLAN on March 03, 2021, 04:45:04 PM
The Torvil and Dean episode is finally here.

"Hahaha", I thought to myself, wondering which comedy double act EOLAN might be referring to, as I went to Adam Buxton's Soundcloud page and fuck me sideways it's the actual Torvil and Dean.

Mobbd

Oh my god, that's hilarious! Fucking hell!

McFlymo

I was hoping it was going to be a sort of "Rock Profile" style spoof episode, but let's see how it goes.

ProvanFan

Dermot Torvill and Dermot Dean

McFlymo

nyyyeaaah... That was fairly meh for me. They were a luvla caupul but there were cliches aplenty. Nice to hear that they've managed to not have a sad falling out like A&J / L&H but the highlight for me was the Squarespace ad, with yAndrew.

I swear I heard the podcast this is mocking late last year. Not sure what motivated me to give it a go, but it started out, boasting of lovely positive advice and guidance it was going to giveaway. By episode two it had an interview with some guy who owned a football team, or marketing company, or something and it was like being at some shit training session in a call centre job.

phantom_power

It is amazing to me how much fun Theroux is on these podcasts when absolutely none of that is in evidence in his documentaries (with good reason in most cases). Even his own podcast, though lighter in tone than his docs, doesn't show off his fun side as much

popcorn

I don't know anything about sports and genuinely had no idea who Torvill and Dean were. I went in vaguely expecting these two:

Can someone explain why it's so hilarious that Adam had them on as guests? Are they just deeply naff or what.

Beagle 2

I think it's because he normally interviews comedians, authors musicians or actors and they are ice skaters.

I bailed after a quarter of an hour on this one. "How did you get into ice skating" "well I went to an ice rink and practiced there at ice skating" etc.

frajer

Yeah I dipped out of this one early too for the same reason. Completely amiable but uninteresting.

Alarm bell sounded slightly at the start when Buckles said Dean had requested to come on the pod. Nothing wrong with that (and Stewart Lee did the same the other week as he wanted to promote King Rocker), but a bit weird if you invite yourself on and then have nothing you really want to say.

thugler

It's just a really weird choice of guests. I turned it off about 3 or 4 minutes in when Dean started talking about doing puzzles during lockdown. They just seem like very boring people and I have no interest in ice dancing.

popcorn

yeah, it was a bit dull. Once I'd learnt who they were I sort of hoped they would talk about subjects other than their ice skating career, like other guests do.

mrfridge

It was utterly tedious. Fair fucks to Buckles for giving them a go but hopefully it's put him off ever interviewing any other sporting personalities. Are there any who aren't dull as fuck?

"We were good at the sport after training really hard to do the sport, we won a shiny medal, then we retired from the sport but still did the sport a bit and then trained other people to do the sport. In between doing the sport we led utterly unremarkable lives and now we do talks at conferences in front of the fans of the sport". You can just copy and paste that for 99.9% of sports bods and it will be applicable.

That footballer who was on Louis Theroux's podcast last year had a vaguely interesting life but was still incredibly boring whilst describing it.

I'm not a sport fan. Fuck sport. Except fox hunting obviously.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I can only assume that Buckles thought it might be a bit of a laugh to have such unlikely guests on his show. Not in a sneery way, rather just for the sheer incongruity of it. Who knows, some gold might arise?

No gold arose.

The only mildly amusing bit was when Adam, clearly searching for something to discuss, brought up the fact that Dean in his heyday was a bit of a perfectionist who could sometimes be quite tetchy with his partner. Torvill basically said, "Yeah, but I wasn't arsed about that, I'd just ignore him and then we'd get on with it." Scintillating drama.

Yeah, they seemed amiable but slightly dull. There were a couple of things that suggested more to them in that they claimed, and I have no idea if this is true or not and can't be bothered to look it up, to be the first pair to change their routine every year. This at least hints at some creativity and restlessness alongside the training machines they inevitably had to be.

Also wanted to hear more about Dean being a copper in Nottingham during the miners strike with his Dad being a miner, but probably not the place for Buxton to press too hard.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on March 04, 2021, 11:59:08 AM
Dean being a copper in Nottingham during the miners strike with his Dad being a miner

This is a fun image (because I'm imagining it on ice)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: frajer on March 04, 2021, 10:38:51 AM
Alarm bell sounded slightly at the start when Buckles said Dean had requested to come on the pod. Nothing wrong with that (and Stewart Lee did the same the other week as he wanted to promote King Rocker), but a bit weird if you invite yourself on and then have nothing you really want to say.

I found that odd too. They weren't even there to promote the current series of Dancing on Ice; it's as if they were just a bit bored in lockdown and fancied a chat with the guy who hosts a podcast that Dean sometimes listens to.

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on March 04, 2021, 11:59:08 AM
Also wanted to hear more about Dean being a copper in Nottingham during the miners strike with his Dad being a miner, but probably not the place for Buxton to press too hard.

It did almost threaten to get quite interesting at that point, but Adam presumably felt that, seeing as it was a subject that didn't include Torvill in any way whatsoever, it would be impolite to dig any deeper.

dr_christian_troy

Out of interest, who would you like to see as a guest on the show? Off the top of my head I'm not sure myself.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 04, 2021, 12:29:31 PM
Out of interest, who would you like to see as a guest on the show? Off the top of my head I'm not sure myself.

Limmy.

Retinend