Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,479
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

__steve__

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 04, 2021, 12:29:31 PM
Out of interest, who would you like to see as a guest on the show? Off the top of my head I'm not sure myself.

Robin Cousins

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Chollis

Mobbd

Re: T&D, I think Adam was being (a) kind and (b) open-minded by having them on. Commendable.

Maybe there was an element of wanting to broaden his audience too.

They were so, so, SO bland it was almost amusing. I listened to the whole thing in disbelief that anyone could be so amazingly cardboardy. My fave moment was the early revelation that Dean was "obsessed" with jigsaw puzzles and had done... three of them. That might be the best nonecdote ever.

I also liked his completely unironic remark about the Queen (lorra lorra?) and Prince Phillip being one of the all-time great relationships, to which Adam quickly closed the podcast.

I also liked how Torville (that's the girl one, right?) was clearly a bit confused about this whole thing. But hey, she had listened to "a couple of episodes" in the kitchen.

Anyway. I will write a poem about it called "Christopher Dean Has a Happy Face."

Fr.Bigley

non capisco

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 04, 2021, 12:31:28 PM
Limmy.

Seconded. I'm sure one or both of them said have said they wanted to arrange it.

thugler

Quote from: Mobbd on March 04, 2021, 04:26:17 PM
Re: T&D, I think Adam was being (a) kind and (b) open-minded by having them on. Commendable.

Maybe there was an element of wanting to broaden his audience too.

They were so, so, SO bland it was almost amusing. I listened to the whole thing in disbelief that anyone could be so amazingly cardboardy. My fave moment was the early revelation that Dean was "obsessed" with jigsaw puzzles and had done... three of them. That might be the best nonecdote ever.

I also liked his completely unironic remark about the Queen (lorra lorra?) and Prince Phillip being one of the all-time great relationships, to which Adam quickly closed the podcast.

I also liked how Torville (that's the girl one, right?) was clearly a bit confused about this whole thing. But hey, she had listened to "a couple of episodes" in the kitchen.

Anyway. I will write a poem about it called "Christopher Dean Has a Happy Face."

I really think he probably should have a) thought twice about 'broadening' in this particular way. And b) at least thought better of it once it turned out to be a dud after recording. It's a bizarre divergence, even the skiing holiday/having a cold episode was better than this.

beanheadmcginty

It seems that whenever Buckles ventures into the world if winter sports he has a disaster.

Thosworth

Quote from: frajer on March 04, 2021, 10:38:51 AMAlarm bell sounded slightly at the start when Buckles said Dean had requested to come on the pod. Nothing wrong with that (and Stewart Lee did the same the other week as he wanted to promote King Rocker)

So did Charlotte Church, with nothing to promote, and she was a lot of fun (she even involuntarily did a "my wife" after Adam said it naturally)

banana

Quote from: popcorn on March 04, 2021, 10:04:00 AM
I don't know anything about sports and genuinely had no idea who Torvill and Dean were. I went in vaguely expecting these two:

Can someone explain why it's so hilarious that Adam had them on as guests? Are they just deeply naff or what.

That picture of Orville and the mix up just made me laugh so much!
Thank you!

popcorn

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 18, 2020, 06:22:05 PM
Non torrent alternative. Go here

https://fourble.co.uk/podcasts

Pick a podcast (A&J are all on there), set a frequency for new eps to appear in your podcast app, and it'll give you an RSS link. You can go to your podcast app and "subscribe" to that using the custom link you got, and it'll be exactly the same as a normal podcast. You can set the frequency to "all at once, cheers" or skip ahead and download as many as you like (or at least I can in my iOS podcast app).

Terrific service, and an incredible range of stuff on there.

Finally finished the last ep of this, fucking hell, rinsed it. Feel genuinely sad it's over.

The ending caught me by surprise though - the last episode just seemed like an ordinary episode, no send-off or fanfare. Was that really how it ended?

edit: according to Wikipedia, "The show also briefly returned in late 2012, with Edith Bowman replacing Joe Cornish as Adam's co-presenter." I vaguely remember this from the Adam and Joe podcasts. I also remember the podcasts having many more Garth episodes.

Retinend

^^ I'd also like to know that. I never listened right until the end - I would be upset if some shows had gone unarchived.

Phil_A

Quote from: popcorn on March 05, 2021, 10:08:09 AM
Finally finished the last ep of this, fucking hell, rinsed it. Feel genuinely sad it's over.

The ending caught me by surprise though - the last episode just seemed like an ordinary episode, no send-off or fanfare. Was that really how it ended?

edit: according to Wikipedia, "The show also briefly returned in late 2012, with Edith Bowman replacing Joe Cornish as Adam's co-presenter." I vaguely remember this from the Adam and Joe podcasts. I also remember the podcasts having many more Garth episodes.

Going from hazy memory, the final episode was a Glastonbury special I think? Yes, just checked and they actually did three consecutive shows over the whole event. So the last Adam & Joe show on 6 Music would've been 26th June 2011, does that sound right? The 2011 run of episodes was fairly abbreviated and I think there was an assumption that they'd be back to do some more eventually, but sadly for various reasons it never happened.

The Adam & Edith era was a bit odd. Never felt they quite meshed together and after the initial run of episodes Adam was gone and it was relaunched as an Edith solo show (which I never bothered listening to tbh).

Ferris

99 pages - can someone start a new thread and pop a link in here? If you could make the title funny that'd be appreciated, I like a laugh.

Ok cheers.

thr0b

Aye, it was never meant to be a final show, more a last of the series. The intention (certainly on Adam's part) was to return later in the year/the following year, and it was even sold as such by 6Music at the time.

Sadly, Joe's other career got in the way. Good for him, not so good for us.

Adam & Garth was always as much fun as Adam & Joe on 6Music. Now I'm wanting an Adam & Louis music & comedy show in that  slot.

Phil_A

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 05, 2021, 11:20:49 AM
99 pages - can someone start a new thread and pop a link in here? If you could make the title funny that'd be appreciated, I like a laugh.

Ok cheers.

There you go, sorry I couldn't think of anything funnier:

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

popcorn

Quote from: Phil_A on March 05, 2021, 11:16:44 AM
Going from hazy memory, the final episode was a Glastonbury special I think? Yes, just checked and they actually did three consecutive shows over the whole event. So the last Adam & Joe show on 6 Music would've been 26th June 2011, does that sound right? The 2011 run of episodes was fairly abbreviated and I think there was an assumption that they'd be back to do some more eventually, but sadly for various reasons it never happened.

Ah yeah, it does indeed end with the Glastonbury show. They didn't bother including the later episodes with Edith then. That does mean the series ends with a song from Boggins which feels appropriate in retrospect.

Quote from: Retinend on March 05, 2021, 10:46:49 AM
^^ I'd also like to know that. I never listened right until the end - I would be upset if some shows had gone unarchived.

The archive seems a little bit spotty. Most episodes have the music cut out (so you can listen to it as a podcast rather than a radio show) but a few of them have music still in. Worse, some episodes seem to be out of order, unless I somehow managed to screw up the listening order. And there may even be a few episodes missing. As I said before I'm sure I remember there being more Garth episodes.

Still, gave me lots of great listening material over the last months, and what a great thing it is that it's archived at all. Cheers again for posting it Ferris, you twat.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on March 05, 2021, 11:39:42 AM
Ah yeah, it does indeed end with the Glastonbury show. They didn't bother including the later episodes with Edith then. That does mean the series ends with a song from Boggins which feels appropriate in retrospect.

The archive seems a little bit spotty. Most episodes have the music cut out (so you can listen to it as a podcast rather than a radio show) but a few of them have music still in. Worse, some episodes seem to be out of order, unless I somehow managed to screw up the listening order. And there may even be a few episodes missing. As I said before I'm sure I remember there being more Garth episodes.

Still, gave me lots of great listening material over the last months, and what a great thing it is that it's archived at all. Cheers again for posting it Ferris, you twat.

I got you fam.

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 04, 2021, 12:29:31 PM
Out of interest, who would you like to see as a guest on the show? Off the top of my head I'm not sure myself.

Kevin Eldon
Karl Pilkington
Paul Chuckle
Trevor and/or Simon from Trevor and Simon

Edit: Apart from Theroux and Joe Cornish, I no longer listen to the non-comedian guests. I remember trying to listen to his Johnny Greenwood one, big mistake.

Mister Six

I really liked the Jonny Greenwood ones - the one where they're wandering around somewhere (Paris?) especially.

I'd like to see Adam interview Alan Moore and Grant Morrison as they're both phenomenally interesting people with fascinating views on the nature of reality, but I imagine he's probably unfamiliar with their books, and I'd hate to have a repeat of the Rebecca Bloom one where he's kind of flailing around with surface questions because he obviously hasn't had enough time to do a proper deep dive on their work.

I felt a bit like that about the Kazuo Ishiguro interview, too - Buckles edged around the question of sci-fi vs "literature", but didn't bring up the mild bollocking Ishiguro got off Ursula K LeGuin in 2015 when he fretted about The Buried Giant being regarded as fantasy, and the subsequent chat Ishiguro had with Neil Gaiman on the kerfuffle. Would have been interesting to hear his reflections on that now, especially as more than a third of his novel output is either science fiction or fantasy.[nb]That is, the latest three out of his eight books: Never Let Me Go (2005), The Buried Giant (2015) and Klara and The Sun (2021).[/nb]

Maybe that's being unfair, maybe he did know and just didn't care to bring it up, or Ishiguro wasn't terribly compelling in his thoughts and they trimmed it out, I dunno.

I think the pod is going to get a lot better once Buckles can actually meet up with people in person again. I keep thinking of that lovely little moment in the Philip Pullman interview in which Pullman goes off to make some tea, and you hear the output of their two microphones as Adam waits for him to return. A lot of the lovely spontaneity and warmth that you get in those live pods - including the Greenwood one I mentioned above - is hard to replicate on Zoom, and it's really obvious when Buckles already has a warm rapport with someone vs when he's talking to them for the first time, which was never quite as pronounced before.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 22, 2021, 03:16:33 AM
I really liked the Jonny Greenwood ones - the one where they're wandering around somewhere (Paris?) especially.

See, all I remember from that interview is Adam several times saying something long and gushing about Radiohead or music in general, and Johnny replying with "Yeh..*nevous laughter*". I know he's shy but all those one-word answers felt awkward.

sutin

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on March 22, 2021, 01:54:24 AM
Kevin Eldon
Karl Pilkington
Paul Chuckle
Trevor and/or Simon from Trevor and Simon

Edit: Apart from Theroux and Joe Cornish, I no longer listen to the non-comedian guests. I remember trying to listen to his Johnny Greenwood one, big mistake.

Has Eldon ever been interviewed on a pod? I remember Herring said he turned down RHLSTP because he's not comfortable being himself.

sutin

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on March 22, 2021, 04:15:03 AM
See, all I remember from that interview is Adam several times saying something long and gushing about Radiohead or music in general, and Johnny replying with "Yeh..*nevous laughter*". I know he's shy but all those one-word answers felt awkward.

I found the Johnny Greenwood and Bowie tribute episodes very dull. I think if you have no interest in the music, there's no point in listening.

benjula

Quote from: sutin on March 25, 2021, 01:29:05 PM
Has Eldon ever been interviewed on a pod? I remember Herring said he turned down RHLSTP because he's not comfortable being himself.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0g6PbcYAek6J1a6qorWYL8?si=Helw2u9nRlmKKPxVQSNIoQ&utm_source=copy-link

Was on this fairly recently

gilbertharding

Quote from: sutin on March 25, 2021, 01:29:05 PM

He is on an episode of Rule of Three talking about The Rutles. Highly recommend that.

olliebean

I notice that both the examples posted are of Eldon talking about things other than himself. Perhaps it's not that he's uncomfortable being himself, but uncomfortable talking about himself?

turnstyle

Quote from: sutin on March 25, 2021, 01:31:11 PM
I found the Johnny Greenwood and Bowie tribute episodes very dull. I think if you have no interest in the music, there's no point in listening.

As a massive Radiohead fan, and Buxton groupie, I was SALIVATING at the prospect of this one, but as much as yer man Johnny can bash out a tune on a guitar and tell you what an arpeggio is, he's a pretty reserved and dull interviewee.

Sorry Jonny.

Sonny.

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on March 22, 2021, 03:16:33 AM

I'd like to see Adam interview Alan Moore and Grant Morrison as they're both phenomenally interesting people with fascinating views on the nature of reality, but I imagine he's probably unfamiliar with their books, and I'd hate to have a repeat of the Rebecca Bloom one where he's kind of flailing around with surface questions because he obviously hasn't had enough time to do a proper deep dive on their work.

Or get her name right perhaps?

Mister Six

Quote from: sutin on March 25, 2021, 01:31:11 PM

I know I sound like a proper Buxton apologist now but I really like the Bowiewallow eps and I'm not big into Bowie, either. Just really affable, funny stuff.