Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Anyway none of this is as disappointing as that the current Buxcast is with Caitlin Moran who I can't stand

It's like hearing your new copy of the Beano drop through the door, shouting "cor", and then opening it to find comics about Last of the Summer Wine, a series of advanced calculus problems, and a great big actual steaming turd sellotaped to the front cover

Sam

Dennis the Menace raping Walter in an underpass.

Custard

Least you can't see her doing that face

I went off her after that bust-up with Limmy, in which she came across as a very angry aggressive wally

She's also one of those arses who thinks every tiny shitty thought that enters their head needs tweeting, and preserving forevers. See also: Emma Kennedy, Richard Herring, countless others. No quality control, just reams of thought-farts

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: non capisco on November 21, 2015, 12:44:43 AM
The one with Joe is dropping on Christmas Day.

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

non capisco

Yep. Louis Theroux again next week then a series break till next year save for a Christmas Day special with old Scornballs.

Depressed Beyond Tables

C Moran, no thanks. About as funny as multi-coloured Doc Martins.

Custard

I really tried to warm to her whilst listening to the podcast, but she is pretty annoying isn't she? She keeps mentioning how funny she is, which is really off-putting, and tries to speak like a teenager which is a bit cringeworthy.

Not as cringey as the story she told of sitting next to a bloke on a plane who she thought might be a terrorist and "try to talk him out of his ways", "just in case". Cos that just didn't happen, did it? And if it did, then she's an idiot

I think that's my biggest problem with her. I read her book, and not much of it rings true. Like she's presenting her life as far more eventful and funny than it actually is. I know that's what comedians do, and that's probably what she tells herself, but she's not a comedian. Just a hack, who comes out with the odd funny line in her columns

She's so clearly in love with her 'ol self, that it's just impossible to warm to her. And THAT face she does. THAT face

No doubt she's a nice lady when not playing the character she puts on, but I doubt we'll ever get to see that person. It's all artifice, and self-conscious kookiness

I think I'm more of a Grace Dent man, me

tomasrojo

It was a really minor point in all the other things she said, but why does her husband have to do all the shopping just because she doesn't drive? It's her own business, but you can surely go shopping in London without a car?

I never before knew how she pronounced her name. Interesting to hear that there is a second way to mispronounce it, apart from the American one.

(It's entirely up to people how they pronounce their own names, but it isn't even her real first name. Now, I think about it, her surname is also mispronounced, but since the original pronunciation sounds rather like "Moron", it's not surprising that people outside Ireland favour the British pronunciation.)

idunnosomename

Not wanting to turn the Dr Buckles thread into a Caitlin Moran punching bag, but she is a detestable narcissist. Looks like a bag lady, writes like a child (with the amount of em-dashes she uses the only person who hates her more than me must be her copy editors), but she keeps winning journalist of the year and lauded as a intellectual of new feminism that just fuels her delusions that she has anything to say. She's a bit like Russell Brand, a much more dangerous breed of celebrity than the anonymous fashionistas like the Kardashians: at least they don't broadcast every one of their worthless thoughts as if it could revolutionise society. But unlike Russell Brand, she's never quite high-profile enough to get a backlash. She's either fairly clever about over-exposure or has The Times paywall/paycheck to thank.

Boycotting Twitter for a day to protest its insufficient control of trolls sums her up. A day! One single day! Maybe if she kept her mouth closed for a fucking day I'd be impressed.

hedgehog90

I wrote a pretty long post for this thread expressing why I found the Caitlin Moran episode almost unlistenable, but I didn't post it for fear of it coming across as hateful.
I largely agree with the previous posts, but it does look a bit like a bit of a pile on.
I don't think she's a bad person, she's just a bit of a wally.

Custard

I did laugh a bit when she was telling Buckles about her average morning

It went something like: Get up, husband brings me coffee, I fanny about on Twitter "for half hour", then I wash and start working

She's on Twitter posting bumdash every minute of the day! Just look at her feed! Constant

I can't remember the ins and outs of the exchange, but around the time of the Limmy debacle, she also got into it with Fleet Street Fox (who's also a bit rubbish), and she just came across like a kid throwing a tantrum. She clearly is not used to someone popping her balloon and pointing out she is talking rubbish, or having to discuss something properly with someone. She's not on Twitter for that. She just wants people to laugh at her hacky, weak-sauce thoughts of the day, and say how wonderful she is

I've seen her use the misogynist card on a few people (no doubt justified in some cases, knowing the Twitters. Think she tried that one on Limmy too, at one point), so it was interesting to see her losing that option whilst arguing with a fellow female. She had nothing, there was nothing in the tank

tomasrojo

I didn't think it was totally unlistenable. The anecdote about Lady Gaga was pretty interesting, and the discussion about wee reprises was quite funny. These two bits had substantial input from Adam Buxton; the less it became a monologue the better it was, which is I guess what you'd expect from a conversational podcast.

KennyMonster

I'm sorry to hear these negative comments but I really enjoyed listening to her on this podcast have have started following her on Twitter as a result.

I didn't use to like her back in the Melody Maker/Naked City days and have been sceptical recently because she writes on The Times but listening to her interview I admired what she had to say.

I hope I'm not wrong in that I liked her and I was only feeling that because I was already in a good mood that day.

jake thunder

Yeah, I enjoyed the Caitlin Moran one. It was fine. I found the Ronson and Delaney ones more annoying.

I love Ronson's books and in person he's seems lovely, but he's worse than Moran at "presenting her/his life as far more eventful and funny than it actually is/his" and shoehorning in anecdotes from his books.

Moran seemed alright once they got onto to less serious subjects.

It's just nice to have Buxton podcasting again.  He's very likeable and funny. I'm hoping he doesn't stray too far into Marc Maron territory. I really don't need to hear about Josh Widdecome's problems with depression. Also, fuck up about Twitter yo. Boring.

I'm also fine with solo episodes.

I think he reads CookdandBombd, doesn't he?

Depressed Beyond Tables

There are just so many good podcasts out there that there is no incentive to listen to her for an hour. Nothing personal. I've never found her funny and her opinions are often half-baked. The female Russell Brand comment was pretty accurate. Speak first, ponder later, or even better, don't bother.

Entropy Balsmalch

I didn't find it unlistenable, but she always reminds me of an old boss of mine whose stories almost always ended with the sentiment "And then everyone there told me just how brilliant I was!"

Passive-Aggressive Susan

Wow, this thread suddenly sprang to life when a successful, self-assured female made an appearance.

.      .
    n
    O

That's Caitlin making her surprised face.

Custard

It has nothing to do with her being female. She's just a bit rubbish

Lianne La Havas has also been on the podcast, and I thought she was very fun and likeable

I hope he gets Liza Tarbuck on one week, as they have great chemistry

Sarah Millican and Grace Dent are far funnier than Moran. And as annoying as I find her on Twitter, Emma Kennedy I could imagine would be a decent guest. Bridget Christie. Francesca Martinez. Mel and/or Sue. Shappi Khorsandi. Others I'm forgetting

Plenty of entertaining womens

I thought Scroobius Pip was a bit shit, too. And he has a willy!

Entropy Balsmalch

Did you hear Bridget Christie on The Comedian's Comedian Podcast?

I found that a really awkward listen. I felt she was very combative.

And, to balance out any sexism, I found the Rob Delaney one far duller than Caitlin. It reminded me of WTF which I had to stop listening to after realising the vast majority of American comedians are extremely dull, career minded and overly earnest.

Custard

I've not bothered with the Delaney one yet. Or Rob Brydon, as I feel like I've heard more Rob Brydon interviews than I'll ever need.

I've only heard and read small bits from Bridget Christie, but I have so far found her enjoyable enough. Will check out the podcast you mentioned!

I know I'm just mentioning any funny woman around now, but Jenny Eclair also. I could see her and Buckles getting on pretty well. Jennifer Saunders. My mum. There's a million funnier and/or more engaging women than Moran

Beagle 2

I really enjoyed Rob Brydon, it's the first interview I've heard with him where he's been 'off', if you know what I mean. Also enjoyed Rob Delaney because I like Rob Delaney, but I'd heard most of it before, and his voice caaaan geeeet a liiiiiidle biiiit repetetiiiiiiiive aaaafter a whiiiiiiile.

Other than that I still think these have been a bit of a waste of time, just because of the dull (to me) guests really. Can't wait for Joe though.

idunnosomename

I turned off the Rob Delaney one too because I had no idea who he was and I found it really boring.

Scroobius Pip was a surprise, rather enjoyed his, especially him talking about overcoming his stammer.

Rob Brydon, well, I did think him going on about the middle-age hangover that took him a week to get over was very funny. Always an amiable listen.

Probably this would all be a lot better if Adam had an editor to really get the best out of everything. The runtimes have been spreading. Over an hour is a bit much, really.

Hat FM

Good call on Grace Dent. she would be really good on this i think. she hasn't even been on rhlstp has she?

I imagine to be the kind of person that googles herself a lot.  Hi Grace!

olliebean

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on November 23, 2015, 02:09:10 PM
I didn't find it unlistenable, but she always reminds me of an old boss of mine whose stories almost always ended with the sentiment "And then everyone there told me just how brilliant I was!"

Did he then top them off with "It was very humbling"?

Sorry, completely irrelevant to the thread but one of my bugbears is the misuse of the word "humbling" or "humbled" by people describing how some accolade or plaudit has made them feel.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: olliebean on November 23, 2015, 09:28:37 PM
Did he then top them off with "It was very humbling"?

Sorry, completely irrelevant to the thread but one of my bugbears is the misuse of the word "humbling" or "humbled" by people describing how some accolade or plaudit has made them feel.

I get annoyed with "Unsung Hero" awards. As soon as they win it they should have it taken off them.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: Hat FM on November 23, 2015, 09:24:48 PM
Good call on Grace Dent. she would be really good on this i think. she hasn't even been on rhlstp has she?

I imagine to be the kind of person that googles herself a lot.  Hi Grace!

I know someone who knows her and reports that she is an utterly delightful and slightly otherworldly.

Sam

Some of the stuff she used to write for the Graun was hilarious. Her Coronation Street summaries in the World of Lather in particular used to make me roar with laughter.

Panbaams

I have this nagging memory that in the late 1980s/early 1990s a teenage Caitlin Moran and her family were featured in an episode of the Children's BBC documentary series The Lowdown, but after extensive research on the Internet[nb]Wikipedia and the first page of a Google search[/nb] I can't find anything to substantiate this. Did this programme happen, or am I making it up?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on November 23, 2015, 02:59:37 PM

It reminded me of WTF which I had to stop listening to after realising the vast majority of American comedians are extremely dull, career minded and overly earnest.

I empathise entirely. They all seem to treat podcasting as an extension of counselling - "it's not that I don't want to work, it's that at this stage in my life, I just really don't have the time and want to focus on other stuff." You know the sort of patter. British comedians, by contrast, just seem happy to treat the whole thing as pre-drinks meet up with a mate before heading down the pub. I know which I prefer.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Panbaams on November 25, 2015, 09:26:10 AM
I have this nagging memory that in the late 1980s/early 1990s a teenage Caitlin Moran and her family were featured in an episode of the Children's BBC documentary series The Lowdown, but after extensive research on the Internet[nb]Wikipedia and the first page of a Google search[/nb] I can't find anything to substantiate this. Did this programme happen, or am I making it up?

The Lowdown did devote an episode to a teenage trainspotting enthusiast and it called him Carter, The Unstoppable Spotting Machine and the trailer played music from 90s indie guitar band Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine.

I never saw the actual programme, only the trailer.

This information does nothing to help your query.