Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is ICQ?

Started by AlanFarty, February 15, 2004, 04:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanFarty

I keep seeing this mentioned at different places, what is it? Is it just a souped up instant messenger chat tool, or something else?

JesusAndYourBush

It's a messenger prog that's been around years.  A lot of people who used to use it have moved onto Yahoo, and then MSN.  I've still got ICQ but rarely use it.

Smackhead Kangaroo

I used to have it too, but then it started having irritating spammo messages so I gave up on it.

mr rou-rou

little anecdote for you, I think it came from gazzyk1ns

an IT phone support desk get a call from a customer, she is having problems with her PC, the support guys wants to send her a file so he asks for her ICQ number, she hears :) icy cucumber.

yup, that was worth typing.

It's just a chat program like yahoo or msn, I'm sure it used to be huge and I know I used it for a couple of years, but then a load of my mates sacked it off in favour of msn and yahoo, perhaps it is playing second or third fiddle to those these days, you can play games on the other two and they have webcam support for the pervert community.

I'm sure you've been to the website already, if fact, are you taking the piss, who hasn't heard of ICQ, where have you been hiding?

Speaking of web pervs, I read a horrible phrase the other day regarding that US marine that ran off with that English pikey lass who was about 13? I dunno the exact facts, it was something like 'young girl's life ruined by internet pervert who 'groomed' her'

Groom has suddenly become a very sinister word, it conjures up visions of Wethers Original parties with paedos combing dollies hair. :/

Benny J. Fish

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"
Groom as suddenly become a very sinister word, it conjures up visions of Wethers Original parties with paedos combing dollies hair. :/

Ewww, Groom's my last name. Feel scummy now!

Quote from: "Benny J. Fish"
Groom as suddenly become a very sinister word, it conjures up visions of Wethers Original parties with paedos combing dollies hair. :/

This has coloured my memory of former Blue Peter presenter, Simon Groom

Timmay

Perhaps you could sue the internet, for ruining your name. We must be able to pin that on it too. And I'm sure someone in the US must have tried it already.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Your real name wouldn't be Benjamin J Groom would it?  Were you in the dyslexic Fantastic Four?

european son

shockingly the reason its called ICQ is that it "stands for"

I Seek You

*shudders*

someone had to tell me that.

Frinky

Next On Sky One: When Old Mongs Are Re-used

Ironside, Qunicy, Columbo - ICQ, I Seek You, they're detectives, do you get it? I'm a fucking comic genius, I want a TV channel of my own.

Doctor Stamen

That would be the finest television programme ever made.  Bar none.

gazzyk1ns

Hehe Splat that anecdote comes from here I think, it's one of the funniest reads on the net.

Once, way back, when I worked in a computer superstore service center, one of our techs opened up a box to do some professional grade fiddling around inside. He fished out about ten 5 1/4" floppies.

After a round of phone calls, he pieced it together. Every time a secretary saw the "insufficient memory" error, she would shove a floppy in the little gap between the drives to add more memory to her machine.

Darrell

ICQ has one use - it's bloody good for sending/receiving files to/from people.

blue jammer

Quote from: "Darrell"ICQ has one use - it's bloody good for sending/receiving files to/from people.

Yep, as it has a 'resume' and the others don't.