Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A mouse mat I won't throw in the bin within a week

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, September 24, 2015, 11:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

HappyTree

I got a thin one with a close-up of a starfish on it from a shitty supermarket for a fiver. 3 years and still going strong. Avoid the thick, cushiony ones as the thick, cushiony bit degrades and/or the cat chews at it and spits black plastic crumbs all o'er the joint.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Yes I had a wrist-supporting cushony one that got binned within the hour. Complete pish.

surreal

Get one of the large Gaming Surfaces - these things are big enough to run under your keyboard too and give more than enough space to move around on.  Prices start at about a tenner but you won't be so conscious of it being a "mousemat", its bit enough to cover a large area of your desk, and thin enough that you'll hardly notice it's there.

touchingcloth

Blumf

I've got a couple of vintage SunSoft Solaris ones from the early 90s that have been in continuous use for over a decade. Just gave them a regular clean[nb]One of the reasons I'm amazed at their longevity, they stand up to a good scrubbing[/nb] recently and they're still as good as new. Fabric upper, rubber foam base about 5mm, never had a better mouse mat.

So my top tip, go back in time a quarter of a century and head to High Wycombe.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 25, 2015, 03:16:56 PM
Just use the desk you cunt.

Well fair point but you're missing the fact that my wooden desk now has a rough surface from using as a mouse mat and now is unusable as a mouse mat. Not very portable either.

I just need a brand/ebay link. Cheers people. There must be life hack alternatives out there?

Edit: Fuck it. Done. BARRY LOCK THE THREAD ALREADY

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Slim-Anti-Slip-Gel-Soft-Silicone-Mouse-Pad-Mat-for-PC-Laptop-Mousepad-MouseMats-/311369062048?var=&hash=item487f0ad6a0

Consignia

Quote from: Blumf on September 25, 2015, 04:09:38 PM
I've got a couple of vintage SunSoft Solaris ones from the early 90s that have been in continuous use for over a decade. Just gave them a regular clean[nb]One of the reasons I'm amazed at their longevity, they stand up to a good scrubbing[/nb] recently and they're still as good as new. Fabric upper, rubber foam base about 5mm, never had a better mouse mat.

So my top tip, go back in time a quarter of a century and head to High Wycombe.

Sun kit, built to last. I've still got a decade old Sun dev box, with peripherals, as my main computer. Like a brick shit house it is.

popcorn

Make sure to get something with proper wrist support.

Onken

I was thinking about this today. It would be the one product that Poundland, B&M and Home Bargains could get right if they sold them in their electronics aisle but they never do. All I rest mine on is a couple of blank sheets of A4 rather than be in direct contact with the desk.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Looks like it would. What do you call that?

A ring binder might do the job actually. And it can be ergonomically sloped.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on September 25, 2015, 10:45:55 PM
One of these'll do the trick, surely?

"Yeah mate, bargain.  Works as a mouse mat and as a hot water bottle.  £6.99 for you, mate."

olliebean

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on September 26, 2015, 11:54:59 AM
Looks like it would. What do you call that?

Short answer: a bit of card.

Don't know if your question was serious, but it's one of those bits of card that new shirts come wrapped in. Any appropriately-sized bit of card would do, though.

studpuppet

Quote from: popcorn on September 25, 2015, 07:53:55 PM
Make sure to get something with proper wrist support.

Just because I get very few opportunities to use this image.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: olliebean on September 26, 2015, 03:03:55 PM
Short answer: a bit of card.

Don't know if your question was serious, but it's one of those bits of card that new shirts come wrapped in. Any appropriately-sized bit of card would do, though.

Well isn't the finish important? Not too rough, not too shiny, technically speaking.

Shade

I've got one that's basically a sheet of rubber. Slimy adhesive on one side smooth on the other.

I've used it for over 10 years now and it's never let me down, although on close inspection it's pretty minging, I think it's part of the desk now. Anyone but me using this mouse is likely to contract some sort of infection.

olliebean

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on September 28, 2015, 05:16:14 PM
Well isn't the finish important? Not too rough, not too shiny, technically speaking.

With a modern optical mouse, I'd think anything with a reasonably smooth surface would do.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Yeah it's optical. But if it's too reflective doesn't it screw with the laser or something.

olliebean

I guess it depends on the surface. Just tried mine out on a mirror and it works perfectly; but on the black shiny screen of my tablet, it doesn't work at all. I'm sure a sheet of card would be fine, though.