Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Steven Coogan autobiography

Started by gloria, October 02, 2015, 01:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow

Why has it got such a god-awful cover though?

Pit-Pat

There's an extract in the Guardian here. It's unfair of me but I can't help but read it in a Patridge accent. The cadences and the way the sentences are structured just remind me so much of I, Partridge, even though the content is very different.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I like the bit where he graciously writes "Lee and Herring invented Alan Partridge? DID THEY FUCK.THAT WAS ME."

Jack Shaftoe

I just read that! How does that work!? L & H invent a character who's a sports reporter called Alan Partridge, but they didn't really invent him, Steve Coogan invents him when he brings him to life doing voices and making up further material.

Bloody hell. :(

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteMy dad decided to buy the Encyclopedia Britannica, which meant that knowledge could be accessed without a trip to the library

Yes a lot of this shortcuts to Partridge in my head.

BritishHobo

I guess it does make sense in a way - they come up with the idea for a surreal sports section, then Coogan adds the mannerisms and personality of Partridge, expanding him into the fame-hungry Norwich-based loser he became - but I don't know enough about the show's inception to actually defend it as true (or the opposite).

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on October 03, 2015, 04:58:42 PM
I just read that! How does that work!? L & H invent a character who's a sports reporter called Alan Partridge, but they didn't really invent him, Steve Coogan invents him when he brings him to life doing voices and making up further material.

It's actually probably fair to say that in a different actors hands, Alan Partridge might have gone nowhere. More importantly, the character L&H created is very different to the character it become from KMKY onwards under Coogan's influence.

But he should be a bit less of a screaming cock about it and give credit where due.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 03, 2015, 05:16:16 PM
But he should be a bit less of a screaming cock about it and give credit where due.

To be fair, he does make it clear in his book that L&H wrote those initial Partridge sketches. It's just unfortunate that he comes across as somewhat ungracious while doing so.

Queneau

His comments, if true, seem fair enough to me. He's probably sick of being asked it. He's acknowledged the origins of Alan Partridge, what more do you want? I don't think he's being a dick at all.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't think he's being a  dick, I just think the way he worded his rebuttal was a tad brusque.

SimonJT

I took that line about L&H to be tongue-in-cheek - a humorous response to how the pair will often joke about how they invented AP. That's hard to convey in print, though.

Bhazor

Wow, you people are very literal minded.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I thought Armando had put this one to bed already.

The front cover looks like one of those '100% unauthorised' biographies you see in the pound shops.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: SimonJT on October 03, 2015, 06:18:25 PM
I took that line about L&H to be tongue-in-cheek - a humorous response to how the pair will often joke about how they invented AP. That's hard to convey in print, though.

Actually yes, I think it probably was tongue-in-cheek, wasn't it? I'm possibly a bit over-sensitive on the whole 'writers create something, performers take it on further then try and take all the credit' thing, perhaps.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on October 03, 2015, 08:07:54 PM
When's it out?

8th October, the same day as Sue Perkins' novel, Spectacles.

Hollow

Quote from: Peter P. Parrot on October 03, 2015, 06:45:43 PM
The front cover looks like one of those '100% unauthorised' biographies you see in the pound shops.

Really it does...I thought Coogan had a bit more edge to him.

olliebean

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 03, 2015, 05:59:33 PM
To be fair, he does make it clear in his book that L&H wrote those initial Partridge sketches. It's just unfortunate that he comes across as somewhat ungracious while doing so.

Does he say, "Needless to say, I had the last laugh"?

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 03, 2015, 08:27:32 PM

Thanks

There used to be a thread on cookd' every year for upcoming autobiographies (i think. i never actually read regularly).

Can we get this going again? (Was it only for comedy related people?)

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I still find it astonishing there has been no biography of Ben Elton, of any slant.

Blinder Data

Read the extract and although the drug-taking escapades and insight into the production of Day Today etc. was quite interesting, I thought it was bloody badly written. Did he do it all by himself or with a ghostwriter? Surprisingly mundane and clumsy sentences - but then I'm not sure how much of his material he actually writes.

He came across as a bit of an arse as well. At least he knows he is an arse. Not sure I want to read a poorly composed book about an arse though.

Queneau

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteStyling: Grace Gilfeather at GQ. Grooming: Anastasia Borovik using REN skincare. Suit, £2,250, shirt, £360, and tie, £155, all by Tom Ford atharrods.com

This tawdry piece of shit was at the bottom of the article.

Steve Coogan drinks Sprunt.

Custard

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 03, 2015, 08:27:32 PM
Tis a memoir, not novel innit bruv

Just ordered that for the lady who lives with one, as she loves her

batwings

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on October 03, 2015, 04:58:42 PM

Coogan talks about it with Herring here (10:38 mins in)

https://youtu.be/tNPv3e1tr0A?t=638

Thewaddler

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on October 03, 2015, 08:17:54 PM
Actually yes, I think it probably was tongue-in-cheek, wasn't it? I'm possibly a bit over-sensitive on the whole 'writers create something, performers take it on further then try and take all the credit' thing, perhaps.

I read it as a joke, straight away. Didn't occur to me that it was serious till I came on here.

Dr Rock

It's like who created Spider-Man, Lee or Ditko? Lee had the idea, Ditko fleshed it out with what came to be the essentials. Both deserve the credit of creator/inventor, imo, but I can see how each think they did the more important part.

Dr Rock

But on the subject of Steve Ditko's contribution to Spider-Man, I would always have said the creation of that iconic costume and mask is one of his greatest accomplishments. Then I saw this last week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiDCxKqD5Mo