Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,466
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Classics that have passed you by

Started by Viero_Berlotti, October 04, 2015, 11:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

So for years I've been into Italian/Euro horror, I've seen all the classics and lots of the more obscure films. So I thought I'd give a genre I'd rarely dabbled in much a bit of a crack, Spaghetti Westerns.

I got hold of a copy of the recently released and remastered version of 'Cemetery Without Crosses' a rare example of a French excursion into Spaghetti Western territory. Produced as an homage to Sergio Leone it was whilst watching it I realised I'd never actually seen any of the Leone Westerns in full. They're the kind of films that are so ubiquitous you feel like you've seen them already through some kind of cultural osmosis.

So I picked up the 'Dollars' trilogy, and yeah I can see why these films are so highly regarded. I realise I'm probably not the first person to point this out, but the way Morricone's score becomes a significant part of the fabric of Leone's Wild West makes these films the genre defining works of art they are.

So anyway, there are probably loads of classics that have passed me by, 'Citizen Kane' is the obvious one, but it sounds boring as fuck so might give it a miss.

Brundle-Fly

All the classic Marlon Brando films of the 1950s/ early 60s and I've never seen a James Dean movie. I haven't avoided them but never actively seeked them out either. Do they live up to the FOH stills, that I've seen in Camden Market gift shops my entire adult life? This new James Dean biopic has piqued my interest.

Viero_Berlotti

Yeah, I've got a copy of 'On The Waterfront' still wrapped in its cellophane somewhere. Bond films are another one, I've only ever seen the recent Daniel Craig ones in full. All the classic ones I've seen bits of, but I feel like I've seen them all.

Gulftastic

I've not seen any of the Brosnan Bonds. Not through a choice not to, I've just never been arsed. I've seen all the others, just never bothered to watch his.

the midnight watch baboon

The Third Man, which has been on my watch list for-ruddy-ever. It would also complete a third him/her cultural period for me which has seen I read a book called The Third Woman and another book called The 3rd Woman. I read  thinking it was The 3rd Woman, as they are both thrillers authored by Englishmen and kept wondering why certain expected passages weren't happening. The Third Woman is better though so that was good.

NoSleep

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on October 04, 2015, 11:44:14 AM
So for years I've been into Italian/Euro horror, I've seen all the classics and lots of the more obscure films. So I thought I'd give a genre I'd rarely dabbled in much a bit of a crack, Spaghetti Westerns.

I got hold of a copy of the recently released and remastered version of 'Cemetery Without Crosses' a rare example of a French excursion into Spaghetti Western territory. Produced as an homage to Sergio Leone it was whilst watching it I realised I'd never actually seen any of the Leone Westerns in full. They're the kind of films that are so ubiquitous you feel like you've seen them already through some kind of cultural osmosis.

So I picked up the 'Dollars' trilogy, and yeah I can see why these films are so highly regarded. I realise I'm probably not the first person to point this out, but the way Morricone's score becomes a significant part of the fabric of Leone's Wild West makes these films the genre defining works of art they are.

Don't miss out on Once Upon A Time In The West, whatever you do.

And make sure you watch Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, of which Fistful Of Dollars is essentially an (unlicensed) remake (Kurosawa contacted Leone after seeing Fistful: "a fine movie, but it was MY movie.") There was an out of court settlement.

Serge

Viero_Berlotti

I had a feeling that this might have been done before when I started the topic. Maybe we should have a topic 'Classic threads on cab that have passed you by...'

Head Gardener