Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Broadcast (are really, really good!)

Started by Dirty Boy, October 05, 2015, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanley

Very true, Pram I think were very much originators of that scene in Birmingham - their first album Gash (was it really called that or am I imagining things?) came out in about 1990, I think, so they certainly predated Broadcast. They certainly all knew each other even pre-Broadcast, and Pram gave Broadcast their first gig supporting Pram at the Jug of Ale in mid 1995. They even shared band members, Steve Perkins from Broadcast went on to drum for Pram. I've been really remiss over the years in that I've never really explored Pram's back catalogue though, now would be a good chance to jump in.

NPC

Kane Jones

I'll post this again just in case people didn't read my post. Cuh, can't even give stuff away these days, bloody kids etc

Quote from: Kane Jones on October 08, 2015, 07:14:00 PM
Not Broadcast exactly, but I've seen a few mentions of Ghost Box in the thread.  I didn't want to start a new thread, so thought this would be the best place to mention this.

Ghost Box are celebrating their tenth anniversary with a double LP.  Some blurb;

To mark the label's tenth anniversary Ghost Box have compiled a double album of highlights from the back catalogue. Thirty one especially remastered tracks and extensive sleeve notes by music writer, Simon Reynolds.

I'm a huge fan and there were quite a few tracks I didn't have in my collection so I forked out for a vinyl copy of this. 

As usual, the vinyl came with a code to download the MP3s.  However, they seem to have given me two cards by accident.  Would anyone like the code so they can download this for themselves?  PM me if you're interested. First come, first served obs.

bitesize

God I love Broadcast. Lovely to see so much love in this thread.

I discovered them when they signed to Warp & released the EP with Papercuts on, and I was just blown away - that whole first album was amazing, as was the comp of early singles too. I didn't really like Haha Sound when it came out, it was moving in a harsh electronic direction and I was in love with the warm organic sound of their early stuff. I stopped following them for quite a while, til the album with The Focus Group came out, which turned out to be bloody brilliant, and I started to listen to them a lot more again. I was all excited about the direction they were gonna go in next...

Thanks for all the postings of live stuff, I only saw them once in the early days and the sound in the venue was awful so it's great to hear some better sounding live stuff, they were pretty amazing. Sounded wonderful on those last shows in Australia :(

I've made my peace with Haha Sound now, by the way - it is pretty good after all. Still really don't like Tender Buttons at all though.

EDIT: I have had Kane's Ghost Box download, so don't even bother, right?

Mr_Simnock

I should take a look in Oscillations more, this is a thread I have been waiting for (can't be arsed to start it myself). Well I don't remember how I got interested in them by over the past 4 years since I discovered them they have become my favourite (just ahead of Kraftwerk). Trish's singing is just incredible especially towards the end. Yes those recordings of the gig in Melbourne on you-tube I have heard hundreds of times. There is just so much variety in their sound over the years, I think that's what I like about them, not sitting still which is done far too often. Like others I can't sum up how much their music means to me (the world and more) and I have all but deified Trish in my mind. I genuinely regret never having seem them perform but then again never new about them till just after Trish died, odd.

Dirty Boy

That Eyes Open eh? Fuck me.

I haven't listened to it yet, but according to setlistfm this was their very last show - Meredith Music Festival.

Loving the soundtrack radio show they did. Loads of obscure bits i'd never heard before.

Norton Canes

hanley

The US dates have done for you I'm afraid.

Been searching for Broadcast's Ether Festival appearance at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, their penultimate gig on home soil, but damned if I can find it, fearing it may have been taken off Youtube. Shit. It was sublime.

Meredith, as per above, terrible sound, and as per usual they were let down by sound people having no fucking idea what to do, as per their final UK gig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEh6g1MLUWg

The final UK gig, the Matt Groening ATP in Somerset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIiuEVhjoZg

Not a happy gig, they were given no time to prepare, were on first with no soundcheck and had no chance at all, and a soundguy who had no idea and was, according to second hand info I have, deliberately fucking about with their sound. Trish certainly wasn't pleased with him, and I understand she pretty much eviscerated him right after the concert ended. Fair play to her.

Norton Canes

Quote from: hanley on October 14, 2015, 06:13:57 AM
The US dates have done for you I'm afraid

Looks like they have. Phenomenal version of 'Dulcimer Jam' in that set, though. 

momatt

New stuff from the Broadcast men is upcoming on BBC radio.

http://www.factmag.com/2015/10/27/broadcast-james-cargill-peter-strickland-binaural-the-stone-tape/

Quote from: FACTMagThe Stone Tape is a reimagining of a 1972 TV movie written by the creator of the Quatermass series, Nigel Kneale. The original was known for its cutting edge sound effects from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, and this time around the BBC has made use of cutting-edge sound technology to create an immersive-slash-terrifying 3D binaural mix designed especially for headphones.

Strickland's version was conceived in collaboration with writer Matthew Graham (Life On Mars) and features sound design from Andrew Liles (Current 93, Nurse With Wound) as well as new music from Cargill. The impressive cast includes Romola Garai (The Hour, Atonement), Julian Rhind-Tutt (Green Wing), and Julian Barratt (The Mighty Boosh), with a cameo by the star of the original version, Jane Asher.

Kane Jones

That's very cool news.  I only recently watched the TV version of The Stone Tape recently and loved it.  Very much looking forward to this.

momatt

Quote from: Kane Jones on October 27, 2015, 03:35:53 PM
That's very cool news.  I only recently watched the TV version of The Stone Tape recently and loved it.  Very much looking forward to this.

I wasn't previously aware of it at all, but it looks promising.  Must check it out.  Did you find any copy better than the 360i version on YouTube?

Kane Jones

Quote from: momatt on October 27, 2015, 03:57:59 PM
I wasn't previously aware of it at all, but it looks promising.  Must check it out.  Did you find any copy better than the 360i version on YouTube?

I bought the DVD cheap on Amazon after reading countless recommendations on here and other places. I was going through a phase of watching all these old 'hauntological' TV shows (Children Of The Stones, The Changes, Day Of The Triffids etc). I bought the DVD mainly because I'm a bit old-school and only watch stuff on my TV, but also because there's a commentary from Nigel Kneale and Kim Newman.

Just been to see if there are still copies kicking about. Cheapest is around £8. I definitely paid less than that. Perhaps there's been more interest since the radio version has been announced?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009DJ4FH8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

holyzombiejesus

I posted that stuff about The Stone Tape on this very thread 3 weeks ago.

I also started a Halloween thread just so we could discuss it but all that happened was Biggy called me a premature Halloween fool :(

Bobby Treetops

momatt

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 27, 2015, 06:28:12 PM
I posted that stuff about The Stone Tape on this very thread 3 weeks ago.

Bloody hell, sorry.  FACTMag were a bit slow weren't they.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: momatt on October 27, 2015, 10:18:47 PM
Bloody hell, sorry.  FACTMag were a bit slow weren't they.

Ha! It's fine.

thraxx

I picked up the re-pressings of Future Crayon and Witch Cults today (some cunt nicked the originals I had of those), so I'm back up to a full set of Broadcast vinyl again.  (I've also realised today that 3 of my Stereolab records are missing, and my copy of the first Quickspace record - fucking gutted)

I'm now listening to The Stone Tape, so hoping that will cheer me up.

holyzombiejesus

Tim Gane is remastering the early to mid period albums for vinyl reissue soon (ish).

hanley

Holyzombiejesus, wasn't there a new Lab compilation released recently that had nothing to do with them too? This follows hot on the heels of those apparently terrible sound quality reissues of some of the albums earlier in the year on vinyl. Good to see Tim is supervising a decent definitive re-release.

By the way the Broadcast forum is well worth signing up for and contributing to; I know it's been posted earlier, but there are clearly many fans on CaB, and it would be nice to bolster the small but dedicated crowd who are already there. So if you fancy it, sign up and stick your oar in!

http://forum.broadcast.uk.net/index.php?p=/

More YouTube stuff that I forgot about last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3-g7416nNU

A nice montage of interviews about Valerie and her Week of Wonders, including Trish, talking about perhaps her favourite film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlD1vyEbNpo

Full filmed gig in Detroit back in the 2000 US tour.

As has been said before in this thread, Mother is the Milky Way ranks among the finest things they ever did, there's a wonderful sort of beneath the covers pastoral horror and mysticism running through it (yeh I know, it's really fucking difficult to describe Broadcast sometimes). Well worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5B9KIU4NOM

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: hanley on November 03, 2015, 12:25:17 AM
Holyzombiejesus, wasn't there a new Lab compilation released recently that had nothing to do with them too? This follows hot on the heels of those apparently terrible sound quality reissues of some of the albums earlier in the year on vinyl. Good to see Tim is supervising a decent definitive re-release.

I just saw that, some 6 CD box set.

The first I heard about the 'Lab reissues was an article in Fact magazine. I've just checked it and it was about 1 1/2 years ago so I'm not sure what's happening. There's a tiny glimmer of hope that they may record together again; subsequent solo records haven't been particularly amazing...

QuoteThankfully, plans are underway to reissue the entire Elektra catalogue on "properly made vinyl," (from Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements to Margarine Eclipse), and according to Sadier, Tim Gane has gone back and remastered each of the records.
While she was unclear about whether Stereolab were ever going to record again, she seemed hopeful, saying "Tim's going to be listening to 15 years' worth of music and maybe it will give him an incentive to write new songs, who knows."
For now we can console ourselves with the knowledge that some time soon we'll be able to purchase definitive versions of the band's classic catalogue.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/04/23/stereolab-plan-series-of-remastered-reissues-tease-future-plans/

Norton Canes

hanley

The Broadcast forum has been down for nearly a week now.

I know that a friend from the forum  has asked Broadcast's manager what's wrong but he hasn't got back to her.

If its gone for good, that's extremely upsetting, I don't really know what to say really, it was always a very personal forum and we had a really lovely small crowd of people there. I hope James is ok.

holyzombiejesus

Hanley, I'm guessing you've seen the thread on the Stereolab site about the Broadcast forum?

QuoteWe know what the problem is, just trying to rectify.

http://www.stereolab.co.uk/forum/stereolab/topic/7508/

Sounds like ok news.

hanley

Not counting my chickens until it happens, but yeh, seems good.

Puce Moment

Looks like good old fashioned forgetting to pay reg for the site. I imagine it will be back up pretty soon.

Phil_A

Here's something that may be of interest to Broadcast fans, Ruth White's 1968 album Flowers Of Evil - a setting of Beaudelaire poetry to electronic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mUX1l89npg

holyzombiejesus

Just bumping this as I got an album by a band called Vanishing Twin today and I think they might appeal to some of you lot. I really like it, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBYcFQL26w0

QuoteThis week sees gruesomely named London ensemble Vanishing Twin release their debut album "Choose Your Own Adventure" via Soundway Records. The band enlisted the help of producer Malcolm Catto (Heliocentrics, DJ Shadow, The Gaslamp Killer) and began work at his London studio, Quatermass Sound Lab, last spring. Recording the basis for eight tracks, they blended structure and improvisation in pop songs that describe a personal mythology through the adventures of Lucas' vanished twin. Formed in 2015, Vanishing Twin came together to make an exploratory record that marries oblique English pop with a palette of arkestral sounds. Having previously released a string of conceptual cassettes under the name Orlando, founder Cathy Lucas (Innerspace Orchestra) named the group after her vanishing twin, an identical sister absorbed in utero, when they were both still a cluster of cells. Drawing on sounds outside of the usual pop vocabulary, the group used forgotten drum machines, home-made electronics, vibraphones, tablas, and harp to invoke the esoteric psychedelia of lost soundtracks, radiophonic experiments and minimal music orchestras. In a studio that Catto built for maximum atmosphere and minimum interfere, and crammed with obscure vintage equipment, he brought his own distinctive sonics to the table, informed by outsider jazz, Italian library music and ethnographic field recordings. Vanishing Twin is made up of singer Cathy Lucas (Fanfarlo, The Oscillation) drummer Valentina Magaletti (Raime, Tomaga, Uuuu, Neon Neon), bassist Susumu Mukai (Zongamin, Floating Points), library music head Phil M.F.U. (Man From Uranus, Broadcast) on strange sounds, and film maker and visual artist Elliott Arndt on flute and percussion.

Puce Moment

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 22, 2016, 12:11:26 AM
Just bumping this as I got an album by a band called Vanishing Twin today and I think they might appeal to some of you lot. I really like it, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBYcFQL26w0

I've been listening to this today and really enjoying it. It's on spotify, which is handy. The song you linked to isn't that representative of the album in my view, because it sounds much breezier and poppy (and quite St Etienne influenced) than the other songs. Probably just my view, but I found it one of the weaker songs on the album, which has lots of nice odd moments, and a bit of a krautrocky feel to some of the tracks. Anyway, I guess I am saying to folks that if you didn't like the linked song do give the rest of the album a go.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, I only really linked to that song as it was the first one that came up when I looked at Youtube. I was only half way through my first listen so wasn't really sure how well it fit with the rest of their stuff. Really like it though.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Another vote for Vanishing Twin. Lovely stuff.