Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Broadcast (are really, really good!)

Started by Dirty Boy, October 05, 2015, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Have to say, I'm afraid, that on the strength of this album, Vanishing Twin come across as little more than Broadcast copyists. I love bands that share Broadcast's style but they need to have the vision and creativity to take it in new directions, an ability that Vanishing Twin appear to lack.

Instead, for anyone who loves Broadcast I'd recommend the recent eponymous album by Exploded View, fronted by singer-songwriter Anika, who's also worked with Geoff Barrow's Beak> project. Her vocals are very Nico-inflected (to be fair to her she is German) but the music has a far more inventive edge that draws on Broadcast's 'dirtier' sounds without completely imitating their work.

holyzombiejesus

To be fair, it's not like Broadcast couldn't be accused of being copyists themselves.

Norton Canes

Yeah, on some tracks more than others. But even at their most indebted they always, always had something new to bring.

There was an album I heard last year, trying to remember the name of the band... it was so slavishly in debt to Broadcast, it was ridiculous. Same drumming patterns, same vocal inflections; a total pastiche, almost hilariously so. I'll post a link if it comes back to me.

holyzombiejesus

Was it Death and Vanilla or Soundcarriers?

Norton Canes

Don't think it was Death and Vanilla, I've heard a few things by them. I'll have to listen to the Soundcarriers stuff tonight.

Crabwalk

Death and Vanilla are guilty of copyism but The Soundcarriers bring a different sensibility and excellent songs, so get a pass from me. Vanishing Twin are just on the wrong side of the line for me (Clive).

Puce Moment

Have we ever had a good post-Broadcast thread? I don't know, but I'm listening to this Vanishing Twin album and about a third of way through the long second song ('Truth is Boring') it is so close to late-period Broadcast that I did start rolling my eyes.

Really, some of this stuff just makes me feel fucking endlessly sad that we won't get another Broadcast album. I know there is material that James has in demo form that could be made into an album using Trish's vocals, but I don't know if he ever will.

holyzombiejesus

I was thinking of starting a general fag-ends/ dregs threads for all the copyists and scene jumpers.

Thing is, whilst Death and Vanilla obviously wouldn't have existed without Broadcast and there's a very obvious 'influence' there, I really like them; in fact, I think From Above is one of the best 7"s of the last few years. Who's that other band on Fire Records that sound like Broadcast? I keep thinking they're called Anna Wing but that's just the woman who played Lou Beale in Eastenders, isn't it?

Norton Canes

Virginia Wing? I think they might be the band I was on about a few posts up.

Brundle-Fly

Cobalt Chapel may appeal to Broadcast fans. They're folkier sounding than Broadcast and have an early 1970s Hammer vibe about them. Made up of Cecelia Fage from The Maypoles (Matt Berry's backing band) and Jarrod Gosling from I' Monster and Regal Worm.

https://soundcloud.com/cobalt-chapel

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Community Programmes Unit make albums entirely composed of Ceefax music overlaid with samples of Ben Elton's stand up routines on The Oxford Road Show.

holyzombiejesus

Not sure whether to start a new thread for this but... Broadcast's James Cargill announces debut album on Warp as Children Of Alice

http://www.childrenofalice.com/

Seems to be part compilation of previously released stuff along with a new track. Not sure if this will be a proper ongoing project but good to see it out there nonetheless.

Crabwalk

The Children of Alice record was released yesterday. 4 long tracks in the hauntological vein of 'Investigate Witch Cults...' but, on first listen, a bit more innocent and playful. Looking forward to giving it a more intense listen.

Kane Jones

I already have Children Of Alice pegged for series 2 of The Night Light. Good stuff.

hedgehog90

I'd just like to express my growing appreciation for Broadcast in recent months. Occasionally I indulge myself in discography binges, and Broadcast gets treated to this at least once a year.
The one song I can't stop replaying currently is the closing track to Work and Non Work, Lights Out.
It's so good. It perfectly defines that feeling you sometimes get when you're on your own at night.
Bliss. Total bliss.

*sigh*

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing this new record. I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

Dirty Boy

Children Of Alice is beautiful stuff. Very likely to be in my top 5 from this year.

iamcoop

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. Another band I've fallen in love with thanks to this site.

What intoxicatingly beautiful music.

Mr_Simnock

Watching Transparent season 4 tonight and very happily surprised to here Echo's Answer in episode 2 played out, made me smile a ton.

jobotic

Thank you - I went and listened to Echo's Answer for the first time in years. It's wonderful.

Mr_Simnock

Really glad to see James creating again too, I will buy that CD, might as well after all the output of his I have listened too for free on youtube..

itsfredtitmus

Only ever heard Colour Me In they have any other songs like that? It's genuinely the most beautiful song I've ever heard; the mechanic-y drone sound in the background especially gets to me. Shit I wanna listen to it now

Norton Canes

Phil_A

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on October 05, 2017, 03:27:38 AM
Only ever heard Colour Me In they have any other songs like that? It's genuinely the most beautiful song I've ever heard; the mechanic-y drone sound in the background especially gets to me. Shit I wanna listen to it now

Have a bit of this:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUh3oHWXrJrSiv-CRLsmnr_Y9-ETKrt27

01 - The Little Bell
02 - Mother's Milk Means Music (At Home In The Universe)
03 - A Seancing Song
04 - According To No Plan
05 - The Aphid Sleeps
06 - Make My Sleep His Song
07 - Minim

Dirty Boy

Yeah get Haha Sound, then get the rest. The album they did with the Focus Group is rarely off my ipod this time of year.

This is my Broadcast tune of the day: Poem Of Dead Song.

I don't think they ever did a bad song did they?

hanley

Sorry Neil for bumping this and not starting a new thread, but it's so full of goodness that other people might want to take the stuff in the links as there's a treasure trove out there. Sorry too, to those of you who might have thought there was news about the last, fabled album (which Trish and James had more or less recorded before the trip to Australia, Trish certainly had the vocals all down) - alas no.

This is merely a post about the fact that The Noise Made By People is 20 years old this month, and how much it affected my musical taste over the years, and how wonderful it is. Firstly I can't quite believe it's been this long, the years have flown by and I still remember buying the album vividly and how much I was looking forward to it. It was eventually eclipsed, in my eyes, by Haha Sound which for me is their masterpiece, but it is such a gloriously muted album, so autumnal, and so brilliant. Initially You Can Fall was maybe one of my favourites on the album, but that has changed so much and it's fallen by the wayside alongside such excellence as Echo's Answer and Look Outside. Ultimately it's all wonderful, and it's heartening to see that Broadcast are still in the process of undergoing a positive reappraisal in the media (not that they were ever undervalued) which is enhancing their reputation year on year:

https://www.stereogum.com/2075708/broadcast-the-noise-made-by-people-turns-20/franchises/the-anniversary/

James thankfully keeps putting songs up on Broadcast's blog on Trish's birthday in September - this one from a couple of years ago is particularly brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOhpd3Ci-k

I know there are a good few Broadcast fans in the CaB community - what are your views on TNMBP, and on the likelihood of the final album (James has at least not categorically stated that it won't be, and Warp still have them on their roster) being released?

Head Gardener

I have some nice Broadcast rarities, this is one of my faves it was sent to me via the radio station before release, in those halcyon days when promo companies swamped me with vinyl
(sadly all bloody downloads now) This is the beautiful UK white label test pressing with 7" cut on 12" using recycled 12" lacquers, ie, each side has abandoned cuts on the edge of the disc
featuring unrelated music. Side 1 has an aborted cut of Christmas by The Who from Tommy. Side 2 features the first three tracks from side 2 of Nevermind by Nirvana: Territorial Pissings,
Drain You and Lounge Act, the last of which is cut short.

hummingofevil

I have probably posted this on here before but I was a regular at the Buckley Tivoli as a mid teenager. We were very lucky that despite it being something of geographical outlier the Wednesday night indie crowd was solid enough to make it a must-play for new bands. I saw pretty much everyone who is anyone at the time (Northern Uproar Shed Seven was one gig that stands out as being utterly average fodder in hindsight ) but one week we turned up excited to see Gorky's (Welsh and whatnot even though none of us a had a phrase of Cymraeg between us).

Anyway, I think I had ventured into Chester and had bought a Stereolab record and Mogwai's For Satin (sic?) so was already drifting taste-wise away from Britpop but then this support band cam on and my world changed.  Four piece with a Moog, guitar, bass, drums and this mesmerising singer. They were just the greatest band I ever had seen to that point. My 16 year old self blown away.

I managed to pick up the 12"s which I still have and will forever be a Broadcast fan.

Dewt

Colour Me In is the perfect pop song.

Puce Moment

Trish Keenan would have been 52 today. It makes me more sad than any other death I can think of, with the exception of close friends and family.

Broadcast being amazing on their final tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kt43abEsow&

James, as every year, has posted a rare track today for us desperately soul hungry super-fans: https://soundcloud.com/james-broadcast/where-are-you-4-track-demo-2002