Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Broadcast (are really, really good!)

Started by Dirty Boy, October 05, 2015, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 28, 2020, 10:19:08 AM
Trish Keenan would have been 52 today. It makes me more sad than any other death I can think of, with the exception of close friends and family.
Broadcast being amazing on their final tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kt43abEsow&
James, as every year, has posted a rare track today for us desperately soul hungry super-fans: https://soundcloud.com/james-broadcast/where-are-you-4-track-demo-2002

thank you for that post PM

Puce Moment

Genuinely fucking sad today. This out sads the people's poet and peel combined for me. Ugh.

Norton Canes

I think about it more on 11th January, the day she died. Suppose I should be a bit more positive.

good times

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 25, 2016, 10:19:36 AM
Have to say, I'm afraid, that on the strength of this album, Vanishing Twin come across as little more than Broadcast copyists. I love bands that share Broadcast's style but they need to have the vision and creativity to take it in new directions, an ability that Vanishing Twin appear to lack.

Instead, for anyone who loves Broadcast I'd recommend the recent eponymous album by Exploded View, fronted by singer-songwriter Anika, who's also worked with Geoff Barrow's Beak> project. Her vocals are very Nico-inflected (to be fair to her she is German) but the music has a far more inventive edge that draws on Broadcast's 'dirtier' sounds without completely imitating their work.

Love Exploded View, perfect fusion of weird Can-style music with interesting vocals (although from the odd spin their second album is rather disappointing by comparison)

I don't get the Stereolab/Broadcast comparisons, they sound nothing alike to me other than having a female singer and some electronic elements. Stereolab seem a lot more straightforward rhythmically and annoyingly twee at times (they do have some bangers though)

Maybe it's based on the first album? I'm only really familiar with Haha Sounds and Tender Buttons which is a bit stupid considering how much I love both those two albums.

Phil_A

Ten years yesterday since Trish passed.

I think James uploaded it a while back, but this demo was new to me:

https://soundcloud.com/james-broadcast/broadcast-fire-song-demo

Norton Canes

Yeah I was going to make a tribute post here, maybe do a best of mix or something, but frankly just thinking about her passing is still too depressing. All the great music we could have had over the last ten years, the gigs, and just still having Trish around. The way she died, I mostly just think, why did it have to be her?

Brundle-Fly

I reckon Broadcast would still be a going concern but she would be onto her second solo album by now.

hummingofevil

Hi all,

I have been thinking about this all day that there was a great early 2000s audio recording around. I am sure it has been posted here before but to save you looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LicRs6WXVo

She was so fucking great.

----

I can't remember where I read it but I read some quote the other day about a culture where there is a concept of two deaths. The first is your actual death and the second one is when the last time someone else thinks about you. I had a wander around the local graveyard on my lunch today listening to The Book Lovers and read a few headstones to keep a few people going in Trish's honour. :)

hummingofevil

Just read this thread back. It's a joy (sorry for repeating my exact same anecdote twice). Such a shame that most of the links have disappeared.

jobotic

Dirty Boy

QuoteI don't think they have done anything uninteresting or bad... ever
An otherwise embarrassing opening post, but i'm doubling down on this. For me, there's not a single skippable track. Everything they did was at the least very good.

Love Children Of Alice too, anyone know if there's going to be more of that?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on January 16, 2021, 11:39:03 AM
An otherwise embarrassing opening post, but i'm doubling down on this. For me, there's not a single skippable track. Everything they did was at the least very good.

I've probably echoed this thought elsewhere in the thread, but you're right. They're certainly one of my favourite bands, not just because they nail an aesthetic so deftly and they placate my anxiety and whisk me off to another fictional time and place pretty much unlike any other musical act, but because of how consistently they do it. Other artists come close - Oneohtrix Point Never, Deerhunter, Aphex Twin - but Broadcast is top of the league. There's not a duff song in their discography, and even with my dismal attention span I don't ever find myself skipping a track to get to another. I invest my faith in them entirely and they succeed every time.

Trish is deeply missed with every soft and ethereal note I hear her sing, and I'll be listening to them forever until I expire myself.

badaids

Totally different live to on record, but either way just the best band ever.  There are many bands that imitate them, and I'm glad they do but no-one comes close occupying the ethereal place in the musical Venn Diagram that they do.

Only managed to see them once in 97, when they were supporting Pavement, Gorky's and Mogwai at the Astoria.  I went for the other three bands, but they were the ones that blew me away.

The Mollusk

Fuck me that's a lineup! And I'm not just saying that because I'm missing gigs so much I'd pay out the arse to watch a tube station busker fart a rendition of "Brown Eyed Girl" into a megaphone.

jobotic

Did they ever do a gig with Stereolab? I'm amazed i haven't seen them, if so.