Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:08:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Free Love On The Free Love Freeway

Started by Utter Shit, October 10, 2004, 08:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

So, turns out Noel Gallagher has collaborated with Ricky Gervais (as I'm sure you've all heard) for an 'official' version of Free Love On The Freeway. I've managed to get my sweaty mitts on it, and it's bloody fantastic. There's something very Dire Straits-ish about it, for some reason, before it goes into some Darkness-esque riffing. It's great, Noel Gallagher on backing works very well, he plays a big part in making the song great, without taking it over, and he and Gervais' harmonies are actually really good. Shocked, I was.

So yeah...anyone else heard it? I can send it to anyone who doesn't want to wait until the DVD is out (a full video for the song is included as an extra on the Christmas Specials DVD, AFAIK), and by the same token if anyone has a full version I'd love to have it, mine cuts off shortly before the end, which isn't terrible but is a little annoying.

*edit* I have the full version now, finally. So if anyone wants it, just let me know. Or if someone has webspace that they can upload it too, that'd be even easier. But whichever.

TraceyQ

Neil

What happened to the "oh Brent is a sad character, and if I released the Xmas single it would make me sad" stance that I was pleased to see him adopting at Xmas?  It's a shit record anyway, played totally straight, and let's face it, Gervais hasn't got much of a singing voice.  Check the Kath and Kim track in Song Du Jour for a much better comedy show spin-off.

EDIT: Here:

Kath and Kim - Lady Bump

It's noice, it's different, and it's unewsual.

wheatgod

traceyq- a proper commercial release is promised against, i believe

Jemble Fred

I almost feel the need to apologise for this, but I love this song so much. And I suppose I should cut and paste my usual disclaimer that I was never a big fan of The Office, etc. But this is one of the most joyful songs of the year (well last year). The lyrics are so bad that even Gallagher would have buckled down for a re-write, but that's the whole point as far as I can see, it's unashamed rawk music. I think the video adds a lot more, because you get to see just how bashfully chuffed Gervais is to be recording his crappy little song. Aw.

But, Neil, man – that Kath & Kim thing should have a health warning on it. Sorry to say it, but after 0.59 minutes of that, it was straight off and straight into the trash. Deliberately bad songs are one thing, but there is a point when it becomes sheer torture. I suppose we all have different tolerance levels....

Neil

Oh well you could at least have listened to the whole thing before proclaiming it torture.  I wasn't sure how it would go down with people who aren't aware of the show, but I think it can stand on it's own merits.  It makes me laugh every single time I listen to it.  In contrast, "Free Love On The Free Love Freeway" makes me want to sick up (and I liked The Office.)

Jemble Fred

I know, sorry, it's very odd of me not to sit through a whole track before vomiting, I've forced myself to hear so much shite in the name of Beatles bootlegs and so on. But I have to say those 59 seconds were some of the longest of my entire life, and took me right through the opener, into the first verse and past the chorus, by which time... *shudder*. I presume it's meant to sound awful anyway, but perhaps if you haven't already bought into those characters (I remember seeing the show round someone's house, and it had much the same effect on me as that track) then it isn't amusingly bad, it's just bad. No doubt anyone who heard 'FLOTFLF' without background info would also complain about the god-awful lyrics.

TJ

Dull gallery-playing comic collaborates with dull gallery-playing musician on an in-character dull gallery-playing song.

Jemble Fred

Aw. Nice to feel I'm part of the gallery. It sounds rather sophisticated. Inserts some lame Tony Hart joke for good measure. And a smiley.

Purple Tentacle

Hehehe, I quite enjoyed this, although I do miss Gareth's contribution.  It's made me get my Office DVD dusted down again.

"She's not dead..!"

woollyback

I'm sure Gervais mentioned that there were no plans to release it as a single when he was the Jonathan Ross show on R2 a couple of weeks back, although I could be mistaken...

TJ

Quote from: "woollyback"I'm sure Gervais mentioned that there were no plans to release it as a single when he was the Jonathan Ross show on R2 a couple of weeks back, although I could be mistaken...

He did.