Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

crazy ex-girlfriend

Started by mook, October 13, 2015, 03:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mook

it's a new show. find it watch it - it'll probably make you laugh a bit, unless you're so utterly jaded & broken that nothing makes you happy anymore, not even the death of bill oddie. so, go on, watch it.

imitationleather

How does it compare to Matador?

mook

mook

^ it made me laugh, in a good way. i genuinely found it funny. just find a stream/torrent & watch it. 

Pie Pie Eater

Bump, since this has been Netflicised and is thus more Brit-accessible.

mook is correct, this is a solidly funny (and occasionally very funny) show. *Almost* switched off when
Spoiler alert
the first song happened[nb]not really a spoiler, stupid[/nb]
[close]
but I'm glad I didn't.

There's some relatively shoddy acting from some quarters, but Rachel Bloom is always great. Also it suffers occasionally from prioritising exposition / driving the plot over actual jokes.

Anyway... any thoughts?

PS, I see mook has stubbornly declined to use title case in the name of the thread, probably why it elicited so few replies in the first place. Probably thought it was a thread that should be in GB.

Pie Pie Eater

(this should probably be in Comedy Chat, right? mook, be a good almost-mod and move this to CC will you?)

Small Man Big Horse

This should be ideal for me as I love musical comedy, and musicals in general, but I struggled with the first episode (despite liking the songs) and gave up about half way through the second. I found it made me cringe a fair deal, and something just didn't feel right to me. But I know the AV Club absolutely adore it, so will give it another chance at some point.

Pie Pie Eater

Interesting... I hate musicals and most musical comedy, but it won me over quickly enough not to abandon.

Custard

Yeah, this should be in Comedy Chat really!

Just watched the first episode, and quite enjoyed it. Rachel Bloom is gorgeous, funny, and very likeable, and it made me laugh a few times. Reminds me a lot of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, mind

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 30, 2016, 11:15:37 AM
This should be ideal for me as I love musical comedy, and musicals in general, but I struggled with the first episode (despite liking the songs) and gave up about half way through the second. I found it made me cringe a fair deal, and something just didn't feel right to me. But I know the AV Club absolutely adore it, so will give it another chance at some point.

I gave it a second chance last night and everything just clicked (
Spoiler alert
possibly due to the ridiculously sexy nightclub song in episode 2
[close]
) and a couple of episodes on and I'm now in love with it. Out of interest, and without being spoiler-y, is the second season still huge amounts of fun?

hewantstolurkatad

Yeah I dunno really where to put this.

The songs are generally solid but can grate on me a bit but have made me laugh a lot more than most shows in the past few years, I like the extended the runtime but an 18 episode season feels way too fucking long. Overall just feel very mixed about it despite liking a lot.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 26, 2017, 11:44:09 AM
I gave it a second chance last night and everything just clicked (
Spoiler alert
possibly due to the ridiculously sexy nightclub song in episode 2
[close]
) and a couple of episodes on and I'm now in love with it. Out of interest, and without being Spoiler-y, is the second season still huge amounts of fun?

I binged it a couple of weeks ago, and I've now stopped skipping the songs - I'm not sure what episodes have been s1 or s2 as I watched them all in a row. Haven't really noticed a drop in quality during later episodes, but certainly other characters and their relationships are more fleshed out.

easytarget

This started getting played in our house (see the distance I'm putting between me and this fucking musical).
I'm in. Sold. This is really, joyfully funny. I hate musicals but I even like some of the songs in this one, they seem to be, in my dumb uninformed opinion very well done (they seem to deeply care about accurately parodying whatever it is they're parodying - the Spice Girls song in S2 was fucking flawless). Sharp jokes and usually upbeat.
Also, is this the first hour[nb]with ads, if there were ads, there are not ads[/nb]-long sitcom? If not, what are the others?

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: easytarget on March 15, 2017, 05:58:37 AM
Also, is this the first hour[nb]with ads, if there were ads, there are not ads[/nb]-long sitcom? If not, what are the others?
It's on the CW isn't it? I'd say it wouldn't be that unreasonable to argue a good few of their shows are practically hour long sitcoms. Jane the Virgin definitely plays up the comedy pretty strongly, for example.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend definitely is a bit more comedic again but once I found out it was on the CW, exactly what it was made a lot more sense to me.

Cerys

I've just started watching this as a result of this very thread.  Liking it so far.

pancreas

Hobo

Second series is brilliant too. The ending very good, with a reveal that only retrospectively adds to that which has come before.

Small Man Big Horse

This has become seriously fucking amazing now. Rebecca is spiralling down in to a hideous place and their exploration of mental health is painfully touching, and yet they still manage to make it a very very funny show in other places. The script is impressively sharp throughout, visually the directors are clearly having a lot of fun, and somewhat amazingly the songs are just getting better and better. As you can see from posts above it took me a little while to click with the show but now it's become one of my favourite ever, and I'm convinced that if it was on HBO people would be raving about it constantly.

robotam

Yeah. The most recent couple of episodes have been brilliant. Oscillating wildly between hilarious and devastating.

Z

how is this show for skipping in? I watched like half of season one and liked it a lot but at the same time 18 45 minute episodes is just a lot. I'd kinda rather just skip into a shorter season.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: robotam on November 05, 2017, 07:42:54 PM
Yeah. The most recent couple of episodes have been brilliant. Oscillating wildly between hilarious and devastating.

I'm glad I'm not alone and that you're enjoying it too, it really is shockingly impressive stuff.

Quote from: Z on November 05, 2017, 07:50:04 PM
how is this show for skipping in? I watched like half of season one and liked it a lot but at the same time 18 45 minute episodes is just a lot. I'd kinda rather just skip into a shorter season.

I'd say all of it's essential but I guess you could leap forward to the beginning of season 2, and now the seasons are only 13 episodes so there's very little filler.

Mister Six

Oh, it's down to 13 episodes a season? That's good. My wife and I caned the first season and enjoyed it a lot, but for something as plot-dense as this, 22 episodes was far too many, so we dropped it there.

olliebean

The first series was only 18, wasn't it?

Mister Six

Z

I'm so conditioned to 10-12 episode seasons that anything over that feels extremely long now. Have a similar thing with HBO shows where I'm always a bit confused by how long each episode is.

Crazy Ex-girlfriend In A Coma

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Z on November 06, 2017, 12:25:39 AM
I'm so conditioned to 10-12 episode seasons that anything over that feels extremely long now. Have a similar thing with HBO shows where I'm always a bit confused by how long each episode is.

I'm the same when it comes to hour long dramas. I don't mind it so much when it's sitcoms, especially given the US method of showing three episodes and then having a two week break, but there aren't any network dramas that are 22/24 episodes long that I watch any more, as there always tends to be just way too much filler.

olliebean

Christ, you weren't wrong about devastating.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on November 11, 2017, 10:20:38 AM
Christ, you weren't wrong about devastating.

Yeah, the latest is fucking traumatic stuff. Cried a few times during it, and yet the 'Maybe She's Not Such A Heinous Bitch' song had me laughing my face off. This show really is something else.