Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Catterick

Started by Doctor Stamen, February 15, 2004, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Stamen

Just a reminder that this starts tonight on BBC3 at 10.30.

It's repeated on Tuesday (9.30pm) and Wednesday (11pm), and I think it's being shown on BBC2 from next Sunday.

I cannae wait man!

mr rou-rou

nice one, I would have missed it,

alarm set for 22:15, enough time to make tea and toast and flop down in front of telly

Darrell

Plip plap plop.

Or 'bump', if that's more your thing. Just so it doesn't slide down the threads list.

ApexJazz

very exciting and about time.  
how long ago was The Weekenders?

Well  that was pretty good for a first episode, though can't say I was completely gripped by it. However, they've never done anything like this before so it's nice to see they're moving forward.

Darrell

Well, that was excellent. More like The Weekenders than I'd expected, and evidently with a very involved plot like Grass has. A promising start to what could be a very enjoyable series.

Nice to see Kinky John out and about as well.

Doctor Stamen

Yeah, I was expecting it to be quite different to anything they've done before though.  Some very funny bits, especially the alsatian in the toilet which made me howl.  Looking forward to next week, though I'll probably have to wait for the repeat on the Tuesday.

And yes!  Kinky John!  You'd think Chris and Carl would have noticed him on the TV in the pub though...

Darrell

I'm not sure how or if it fits into the canon of The Club - is it before, after, or just taking place in an alternative dimension?

Rev

Was fully prepared for this to be a great disappointment, but it'll do me nicely.  It *was* very reminiscent of Grass, as if BBC3 are carving out their own comedy-drama genre (it's not how these things work, of course, but still)...  and yes, if the standard rule that the first episode of every series is a bit weaker than the rest of it holds, then this should turn out to be cracking.

jutl

I'm glad it's getting a good response - makes me think that the fact that it left me fairly cold is just another symptom of my decreasing ability to enjoy anything at all. Specifically - the Mermade Hotel sections were just deadening, and Reece Shearsmith solo bits bafflingly tedious. V&B retained the best material for their scenes - which is fair enough I suppose - and there were some great bits there... Still, I could do with a little less of the absurdist-drama-wannabe stuff...

Also - the announcer coming in over the titles and saying 'Marvellous stuff' or something similar was a bit presumptuous, I thought. I think he then went on to say 'They wouldn't let it lie' as well, which was fucking criminal...

nixon

errrrrrr...  wierd.

This is surely in club universe?  or at least in simmilar dimension.

And the weirdest asian accent for matt lucas' hotel owner.

Darrell

He uses the same voice for the hotel owner as George Harrison in Rock Profile. I love his use of "plonker-Rodney" as an insult.

jutl

Quote from: "nixon"
And the weirdest asian accent for matt lucas' hotel owner.

Yes - it's probably because I'm an old cunt but I just found that embarrassingly bad and anti-hilarious. I think that kind of material gets into trouble when it strains to be bizarre, and there was quite a lot of that...

monkhouse terror

I thought that was great aswell, patchy but made me laugh more than anything else has recently. The bit where Chris had the flashback of a swan in a wheelchair made me laugh like a twat.

Was it just me or did Matt Lucas' accent constantly slip between bombay and dutch?

Quote from: "Darrell"I'm not sure how or if it fits into the canon of The Club - is it before, after, or just taking place in an alternative dimension?

I'm guessing that it's not linked to the Club at all and although it's the same characters it's not linking up.

In the club Chris's mother was still alive, in Catterick she's dead but it couldn't be set after the club cus didn't it say Chris and Carl aint seen each othe rin like 20 years?

garlicberet

I think they've taken the characters and squashed them into a new setting... (hence Kinky John as the detective) ... obviously they had this idea, but these characters were just too good to pass up on

I thought it was wonderful! Can't wait for the rest of it... I always have faith in Vic and Bob anyway

Rats

I still have faith but this first one wasn't great. The "hand" bit was class and like jutl said, the bits with vic and bob were good but the rest wasn't and matt lucas as the hotel manager was just awfull. Hopefully it will take off in part two.

Blue Jam

I didn't like the hotel scenes much, although I did like Lucas's character ("Rodney-plonker", and the bad Indian accent coming from a pasty ginger Englishman) and the hotel's name ("The Mermade Hotel"), just not the other two hotel staff, and the pointless Quink stains subplot. I thought the bits with Reece Shearsmith dragged on too, but I liked some of the little things, like the scenes where he was drinking mouthwash and using the nasal hair trimmer, and some of the lines in his conversation with Vic and Bob.

...in short, I agree with some of what jutl said- bits of this left me cold too, but I still found things that made me smile in the weaker scenes. I also agree with Rev- I think this episode was just introducing the characters and setting up the story, and it looks like it'll turn out to be a great little series. A bit like Grass then ;)

Edited to say that garlicberet (great comedy French name there) is absolutely right about the frogman picture in the post below.

garlicberet

the thing that made the hotel bit was surely the Frogman picture... I nearly CRIED...

Regular John

I laughed throughout, but then I always do at Vic & Bob material.

Am I the first one to notice the pub was the same one as in the Weekenders? They sat at the same table aswell! Hand.

Hans

I thought it was ok, nothing amazing.  Some bits had me laughing loads such as the 'I see you've got a new stance' bit and 'hand'.  Like jutl I thought the hotel scenes were a bit weak and the Reece Shearsmith parts.  But I did love 'Rodney-plonker'.  I want to know why Bob started shaking Vic when they first met, that was great.

Purple Tentacle

Does anybody know when this is on telly-for-the-proles?

So was it actually set in Catterick then?

Im with PT, anyone know when us mortals can watch this...

or...

did anyone record it for general dispersion ?

Neil

Just watched this thanks to mr faceless on Soulseek.  Hmm, nowhere near as good as I was hoping.  Really skimped on actual laughs in favour of bloody drama.  However, I'm hoping that this ratio will improve as weeks go on, there was a lot to set up in that first episode so let's hope they get back to being funny in the next one.  Matt Lucas was fucking terrible as the hotel manager, see what I mean about him being almost completely unable to do a decent comedy voice?  It's just too distracting, same as those TLOG-style stupid teeth the clearner had.

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"So was it actually set in Catterick then?

Seriously, was it?

Neil

No, I can't remember where it was set, but they are going to Catterick, that's their mission.

Rats

It's a stupid point put you know those things they stick in their gobs to give them like marlon brando jowls and stuff. Did anyone notice matt lucas' were bright blue! I mean, isn't it common sense to make them inside the mouth colour or at least black or something?

butnut

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Does anybody know when this is on telly-for-the-proles?

The first post of this thread says it's on BB2 on Sunday - I have no idea if this is right or not.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "butnut"The first post of this thread says it's on BBC2 on Sunday - I have no idea if this is right or not.

It's not scheduled to be on BBC2 in the next couple of weeks.