Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Catterick

Started by Doctor Stamen, February 15, 2004, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Stamen

I read somewhere last week (possibly that Times interview with R&M) that it was scheduled to start on BBC2 the week after it started on BBC3.  Maybe they meant the week after it finishes.  Either way, it'll be worth the wait going by the first episode.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Darrell, you arse - it was made quite clear that this isn't in The Club continuity; Chris and Carl weren't brothers in that, were they?

I really enjoyed this, it wasn't as dark as I thought it was going to be. There was little actual drama, Neil, what are you on about?

I'm with the "Lucas and Walliams are great COMEDY comedy performers" school of thought on this one, too.

Neil

I'm not that familiar with Bang Bang, although I'm downloading a few (ta Russ!) but doesn't the Bob character have an odd sort of oriental voice in it?

I mean all that stuff with Reese Shearsmith really*, all a bit dark considering it's Vic and Bob stuff, I fancy digging out The Weekenders to compare the two, it seems like they've swapped silliness for proper adult drama, and I'm not sure I approve of that.  I'll see how it goes though, I was expecting a lot more big laughs but I do appreciate there was a fair bit to set up in the first episode.  

*Exposition might be a better term.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Really, it was only Shearsmith's strand that featured any real 'drama' (I could have done without the beating and killing, too - the nasal-hair trimming was good enough for me), but I did excuse it on the grounds of exposition.

Bob played two characters in The Club, Neil. The one with the Oriental accent isn't in Catterick. Oh, and don't get you hopes too high up for Bang Bang - it's quite inconsistent, and really lazy at points. There are some great bits in there, though.

Neil

Yeah that beating was so unusual for a Vic and Bob show, and the fact it's yer man just makes me hate TLOG even more.  If their shows were funnier, I could understand the influence they seem to be have, but as it is I'm at a loss.  

I'll bear that in mind for Bang Bang...I've got all the Smell Of's to work through first, looking forward to that lots.  The ending to one of those with the pub inside Bob's organ is one of my favourite comedy things.

No-oneSpecial

Quote from: "Neil"

I'll bear that in mind for Bang Bang...I've got all the Smell Of's to work through first, looking forward to that lots.  The ending to one of those with the pub inside Bob's organ is one of my favourite comedy things.

Do you know thats one of my favourite comedy moments also? Sod this for a  game of darts. Im off to bed.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Matt Lucas as the landlord in the pub stroke organ, mind, Neil.

The first series of The Smell Of (the longer edits) are glorious, Neil. The second series is where the R&M rot started to set in, with repetition of ideas and paying less attention to detail. It's still very good, just not as good as Series 1.

Purple Tentacle

I very much enjoyed Bang Bang, and I feel that The Club, by itself, had the potential to be far far funnier than Phoenix Nights.

Weren't they going to make a series based around Councillors Cox and Evans?

Doctor Stamen

A Cox and Evans spin-off was in the pipeline (it's mentioned in Bruce Dessau's R&M biography, which is a great read and can usually be found going cheap on certain auction sites), but i'm not so sure it would have made a good 6 x 30mins series.  How the hell would they have dragged it out?  Far better to leave them as the highlight of Smell Of series two if you ask me.

"It's a shoe buff!"

Anyway, the character Neil's thinking of was Paul Baron's brother, who was from Hong Kong I think.  Bob's character had a funny twitch though which he's lost in Catterick.  Sod the continuity issues though, i'm just chuffed that Kinky John Fowler is back.  He really could turn out to be one of their finest creations (alongside Graham Lister and Mr Dennis) if he's given plenty of airtime in this new series.

Neil

Graham Lister!  I seem to remember someone telling me that he's going to make an appearnce in Catterick, anyone else heard that?

Darrell

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Bob's character had a funny twitch though which he's lost in Catterick.

Probably to avoid Tim McInnerny syndrome (he actually developed Darling's twitch for months after filming Goes Forth without being able to get rid of it)!

Version 1.0 of Carl used to fart all the time as well.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "Neil"Graham Lister!  I seem to remember someone telling me that he's going to make an appearnce in Catterick, anyone else heard that?

That may have been me getting peoples hopes up.

What happened was, four years ago just before Bang Bang started, Vic turned up twice on the R&M chatroom (it was him, he proved it) and claimed that Graham Lister would probably appear again on TV at some point.  Four years is a long time though, so i'd be very surprised if he turned up in Catterick.  He'd be worthy off his own sitcom though, possibly involving himself and Mr Dennis and all the hilarious things which can happen in a newsagents stroke confectionery.

Quote from: "Neil"Graham Lister!  I seem to remember someone telling me that he's going to make an appearnce in Catterick, anyone else heard that?

This is an outrage! When I told you jerry seinfeld was appearing in curb you shouted at me with bad words!

Rats

Yay, lister's the man :) I hope he turns up. I'm really hoping this starts swinging by the second episode.

Sickboy

Do any of you fine human beings have a link to a Torrent of the first episode? Or something similar, like? Huge love.

imitationleather

Well, I 've watched it a couple of times now and instead of it growing on me, it's actually getting less enjoyable each time.

The whole series is supposed to be in real time, isn't it? This seems to be a bit pointless as no reference whatsoever is made to it, and all it does is make the programme crawl along at a snail's pace (all the Reece scenes seemed to last about an hour). The Mermade Hotel characters are going to get extremely annoying unless they're all killed off in episode two (are we going to have to put up with six episodes of lines like, "He's pulling your testes"?) and while it's a small point, the fact that Chris, Carl and Kinky John's voices are all slightly different to in The Club is really getting on my nerves.

I'm not sure what it is, it just doesn't feel like Vic & Bob to me. It's a bit like some people trying to imitate Vic & Bob's sense of humour in a TV series but not getting it quite right. There were no moments that made me really laugh, as any potential humour was over-shadowed by things that didn't really work, such as Matt Lucas' comedy accent.

Ah well, like everyone's said, it's most likely going to get a lot better as this episode was just setting the scene.

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Anyway, the character Neil's thinking of was Paul Baron's brother, who was from Hong Kong I think.  Bob's character had a funny twitch though which he's lost in Catterick.

From what I remember it was the female charecter who had the bizzare twitch.  Carl had a problem with farting.

Rats

Yeah, Morwena banks, she is a fantastic character actress and totally wasted as that wife in the hotel. I never paid that much attention to bang bang, I saw them all but it was pretty shitty for the most part.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "tubbsthespidergigolo2"From what I remember it was the female charecter who had the bizzare twitch.  Carl had a problem with farting.

You're right about the twitch, it's far too long since I watched Bang Bang.

TotalNightmare

Jemble here - just to say that finally watching the first episode has probably been the biggest treat of the year so far for me. Christ knows what you lot were watching, Catterick is the real fucking thing, and it's clearly great. I have to blame all jaded responses on the fact that you're so used to watching shite you forget when something truly worthy appears on telly.

You know that League of Gentlemen thing you like? All those funny voices in Little Britain? The crazy behaviour of that silly cunt Leigh Francis? Yeah, well fuck 'em, this is the real thing. This is Vic & Bob, and they invented all those people, who'd all be teaching drama now if R&M hadn't turned up to help change British Comedy.

QuoteShe was having secret love... with a midnight prowler.

Thanks Jim. Thanks Bob.

MattH

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Jemble here - just to say that finally watching the first episode has probably been the biggest treat of the year so far for me. Christ knows what you lot were watching, Catterick is the real fucking thing, and it's clearly great. I have to blame all jaded responses on the fact that you're so used to watching shite you forget when something truly worthy appears on telly.

You mean the dog in the lavvie scene I expect.  Genius. hehehe.

QuoteThanks Jim. Thanks Bob.

Bob is sweet.

I wasn't too impressed on first watching, although I think I might like it more once I know it better and will be anticipating certain bits ("did you just say hand? I enjoyed that").

TotalNightmare

Total Nightmare here - THANKS JEMBLE... - back to correct Mr Jemble about his quote...

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Jemble here - just to say that finally watching the first episode has probably been the biggest treat of the year so far for me. Christ knows what you lot were watching, Catterick is the real fucking thing, and it's clearly great. I have to blame all jaded responses on the fact that you're so used to watching shite you forget when something truly worthy appears on telly.

You know that League of Gentlemen thing you like? All those funny voices in Little Britain? The crazy behaviour of that silly cunt Leigh Francis? Yeah, well fuck 'em, this is the real thing. This is Vic & Bob, and they invented all those people, who'd all be teaching drama now if R&M hadn't turned up to help change British Comedy.

QuoteShe was having secret love... with a midnight prowler.

Thanks Jim. Thanks Bob.

i think it was, more accurately, "She was having sly love, with a midnight creeper"

So there we go. All brushed under the bramble bush of time.

TraceyQ

Best use of "Satan Rejected my soul" Evaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Really enjoying this now.

imitationleather

That was really great. Gah, why are all my opinons always proved wrong?

Everything seems to be coming together, and it's only episode two. But where's Tom Fun eh? What's happened to him?

Regular John

Awesome stuff!

The mutual face washing was fantastic

Yeh, I enjoyed the first ep but thought a lot of the humour was below average.

Todays ep however was excellent.  Can't wait for the rest of it now.

Marvin

Really enjoyed tonight's episode, last week's made me laugh quite a bit but  had a few duff bits (Reece's bit was dragged out too much I thought) but it's settled down nicely now.

I can see where Neil was coming from about it being too much of a drama in the first, but tonight's has put any worries to rest in that department - gloriously silly throughout, a few bits had me in stitches for ages. Really looking forward to the rest of the series now.

Nice use of music too.

TotalNightmare

once again, i was treated to a wonderful big long hard laugh and it was at a point in the show where i was worrying whether the show was as good as i was making it out to be...

However, when the scene arrived with the cross eyed lady driver and the cross eyed run down tramp making sex on a zebra crossing after he fell in love with the smell of her Fanny Fragrance... it filled with a passion for laughter.

Also, when Mr Lucas tried to impress with the 'pull my finger' routine and shat himself... well it made me laugh... especially when you could see it slide down his leg...

i must have been a good boy this weekend, eh?

Darrell

Wonderful stuff - was in constant stitches for a solid half-hour.

Nice to see Derek making a cameo appearance!