Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:36:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Catterick

Started by Doctor Stamen, February 15, 2004, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

So, who else thinks that Reece is going to turn out to be Bob's son?

faceless

It's clever enough, but it's just not good enough. They've had long enough to come up with a serious plot - 15 years since they got their first TV contract?

Pitiful really.

Darrell

Quote from: "imitationleather"So, who else thinks that Reece is going to turn out to be Bob's son?

The same people that realised that there was a partition wall involved in Saturday's Jonathan Creek, i.e. everyone.

Why is nobody else celebrating the return of Derek? (You know, the one who used to hang around with Tom Fun? It was him!)

The 'pull my finger' scene was side-splitting - Lucas played that so absolutely perfectly.

I've only seen two episodes, but this is the best comedy series for a good couple of years.

Bollocks, missed it. Anyone got an encode?

Maybe I should check Soulseek before posting.

Sod it.

nixon

Quote from: "Darrell"

Nice to see Derek making a cameo appearance!

it was Derek wasn't it?  I knew it was!  :-)

Quote from: "imitationleather"So, who else thinks that Reece is going to turn out to be Bob's son?

Hmmm I was wondering about this too but Reece is called Tony and Bob's son is called Paul.  But then You can link the names Paul and Tony in R&M history.  Weren't the Baron borthers called Paul and Tony in The Club?  Ah but that doesn't mean anything cus he's obviosuly not etheir of those charecters, I'm just talking balls.

Sickboy

For the love of Christ, does anyone have a link to a Torrent or summat?

Quote from: "Sickboy"For the love of Christ, does anyone have a link to a Torrent or summat?

TTT has encodes of both episodes of Catterick on Soulseek, pop over there if you want, but I should point out that it's being repeated on BBC3 tonight at 10:30.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "DevlinC"....but I should point out that it's being repeated on BBC3 tonight at 10:30.

Yeah, that's great, why don't I use some magic beans to climb to the fairy's castle where I can find this "BeeBeeSee Three"?

Sickboy

Quote from: "DevlinC"
Quote from: "Sickboy"For the love of Christ, does anyone have a link to a Torrent or summat?

TTT has encodes of both episodes of Catterick on Soulseek, pop over there if you want, but I should point out that it's being repeated on BBC3 tonight at 10:30.
Ooh, ta. Can you do a user search for this 'TTT'?

Sorry. I'm thick.

Simon Price

I've just seen this for the first time. I'm assuming it's the second episode. Verdict? The same as a lot of other people here, i.e. "some good bits".

And that, frankly, is the problem. There were some fantastic set pieces (the weird Twin Peaks-style scene with the turkey in a box, the "I Wanna Know What Love Is" pop video). And I did enjoyed the Day Today/Brass Eye-style deployment of real, high-end TV techniques (in this case imitating 24, The X Files and Six Feet Under, rather than Newsnight), but it was wasted on a show like Catterick.

The three main faults were...

1) No real attempt to tell a story, hook us in, push the narrative along, make us CARE. It was just a portmanteau showcase for a bunch of random sketches.

2) The gurning, mugging acting performances got on my wick (especially Vic Reeves' American cop). Bob Mortimer's main character, and the woman who played the hotel receptionist, were the only two who weren't absolutely chewing the scenery.

3) The script was very patchy. Characters called Sergeant Minge-Munchington? Do me a favour...

By the way, I'm a fan of Little Britain/Rock Profiles, less keen on Vic & Bob's various works (although I've grown to appreciate them a bit), so I don't have a particular axe to grind. I'll give it another chance next week, just in case it picks up.

garlicberet

Quote from: "Simon Price"
Characters called Sergeant Minge-Munchington? Do me a favour...

its all to do with the way it was said...

Darrell

Quote from: "Simon Price"1) No real attempt to tell a story, hook us in, push the narrative along, make us CARE. It was just a portmanteau showcase for a bunch of random sketches.

Yes. It's a comedy series, the emphasis is on the jokes. Having an involving narrative isn't the priority when you've got gags to do. There's enough narrative there to drive six episodes - it's only there to hang the comedy on anyway.

Quote from: "Simon Price"2) The gurning, mugging acting performances got on my wick (especially Vic Reeves' American cop). Bob Mortimer's main character, and the woman who played the hotel receptionist, were the only two who weren't absolutely chewing the scenery.

Woah there! Are you seriously suggesting that Inspector Fowler (from Catterick, not The Thin Blue Line, obviously) should have been played straight and naturalistically? This is completely missing the point I'm afraid - it's a breath of air to have comedy played so broadly for laughs in a world of over-naturalistic jokeless toss and Fowler is a great example of this.

Take Matt Lucas and the "pull my finger" bit - the journey he goes on through that is played beautifully via a range of increasingly confused facial expressions. It's broad, it's played for laughs, and it's all the better for it.

Quote from: "Simon Price"3) The script was very patchy. Characters called Sergeant Minge-Munchington? Do me a favour...

Why can't daft (and funny) little jokes like that be allowed? You can imagine Reeves and Mortimer laughing their heads off at the glorious juvenility of that name. It caused a thumping great belly laugh at my end, and the friends I was watching it with all chuckled their guts up too.

You seem to be criticising a dog for not being a cat here.

Quote from: "Darrell"You seem to be criticising a dog for not being a cat here.

Totally nailed it there with that comment, mate.  Couldn't agree more.

Simon Price

Nah, "breath of fresh air" isn't good enough. Reeves has been getting away with this lame student rag week toss for 15 years now, and it doesn't improve with age. In fact it's smelling pretty stale.

And I'm all in favour of "daft", and I'm all in favour of purely gag-based shows... but the issue is this: if ALL you've got is daft gags, then they'd better be bloody funny ones.

Too often, they weren't.

faceless

This programme is a gamble of personality over content.

Any cunt can see that.

tony peanuts

Anybody know offhand how many episodes there are going to be in this series?

Darrell

Six.

I was told a while ago that it was four, but I'm pretty sure it's six.

tony peanuts

Thanks.  Bit annoying though cos I've started recording this on a 4 hour tape thinking there'd be 8 episodes.  Even more annoying because I put Grass on a 3 hour (SP) thinking there were 6 episodes.  Ho hum.

2nd episode repeated AGAIN tonight at 9:30pm, BBC3 of course.. and I think it's being repeated for a 3rd time on wednesday - so for anyone who has missed it twice now (me), good luck.

Darrell

It was repeated last night as well, so Wednesday's will be its fourth repeat!

Murphy's really milking it, the tedious git.

Mister Six

The problem with Catterick is that Vic and Bob are pretty much the soul of the show, and the whole thing dies on its arse when they're not around, probably because nobody's quite able to get "on their wavelength" unless they're around to bounce off.

There's also too much filler. The scene with the knocked-down pedestrian was golden from "why does this always happen to me?" through to the beginning of the sex scene - but then it just drags on and on and on...

They should rely less on the "drama" too; it sits uncomfortably with the silly, childlike overall tone of the show. Having a plot is fine, but they've come a cropper trying to make it a proper drama, especially since most of the cast simply don't have the acting chops to make such scenes believable.

Enough of the negatives. It's still thoroughly entertaining, and is steadiily improving. Nowhere near the quality of their earlier stuff, but they're new to the game, so I'm tempted to let them off. Cue Lalla Ward threatening to kick my face off.

jutl

Finally failed to miss episode 2 last night - still

for me I'm afraid...

Rats

I caught it last night too, much, much better.All the characters seem to work now that they've all gotten together.

big dogs cock

Hmm, I think the plot's moving much too slowly, and though the characters are all great, they're maybe not too suited or strong enough for the format of a stretched out series. The most i've laughed so far was just getting the giggles at vic reeves's funny face when mortimer was pretending to be on the phone to clooney, so maybe it's just my unrefined basic sense of humour that's at fault not the show!

It doesn't quite work for me, but i'm a professional nit-picker, and there's enough there to keep me watching.

Neil

Well I just watched episode two and thought it was the first really genuinely hilarious bit, the face-washing scene was excellent, Morwenna Banks is giving a fantastic performance, and Vic as Chris is wonderful.  Definitely enjoyed that show more, it seems to be picking up its stride now.  Over the last week I've watched the Bang Bangs, rewatched Weekenders, and also watched TTT's capture of the fan club video.  I can now see how Weekenders is totally a product of their Big Night Out stuff, and Catterick is the same for Bang Bang.  There's a certain amount of willful silliness that has been lost/swapped for drama, and so far these have been the bits that have dragged a bit, but there's enough good funny material in here to make this an excellent show.

Sickboy

Does anyone know of any captures/Torrents from the Big Night Out era?

TTT

I'm just about to rip my big night out series 2 dvdrs to divx. Ill stick them in my soulseek share when they are done.

TTT

Darrell

This was ace again!

"No, it's a different apple."

"I fought with him in the Battle of... Hastings."

Doctor Stamen

The boomerang line in the first scene was fantastic.  And Chris staring through the window!

I really had my doubts about Catterick when I first heard about it, but it's getting better by the week.  It's easily the best thing they've done in many years.