Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Catterick

Started by Doctor Stamen, February 15, 2004, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"It's easily the best thing they've done in many years.

Well that's not much to compete with is it?  Two bog standard series of Shooting Stars.

Yep, another dam enjoyable episode even if it was a tad slow and not as funny as last weeks.  I still can't wait to see where it all goes.  I'm hoping, as the links become more and more obvious, that the Tony is Carl's son thing is a wonderful double bluff.

Capuchin

Well, he's with his mum in the RAF but Chris was in the army....

I'm enjoying this, even if I did miss the first two episodes.
I don't see the point of worrying over drama/plot anyway, it's clearly not what Vic and Bob are about.

"So why are they doing it then if they don't take the drama seriously"
Isn't it better that they try something new rather than Shooting Stars part eight or 'Men Behind the Desk - The Return'?

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "tubbsthespidergigolo2"
Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"It's easily the best thing they've done in many years.

Well that's not much to compete with is it?  Two bog standard series of Shooting Stars.

As well as Randall and Hopkirk and that Families At War rubbish, but I see your point.  I'd go as far as to say that Catterick is better than Bang Bang and maybe even the second series of Smell, but we'll wait and see.  

I'm not really that bothered about the plot either (if I want a deep and meaningful storyline, i'll switch over to Midsomer Murders or dig out one of my Peak Practice videos), it's just great to see them both making people laugh again.

The Plaque Goblin

Families At War had enormous potential, I thought.

Surely this can't be their big experimental personal project they've supposedly been wanting to do instead of Shooting Stars.

I mean, advancing some pointless storyline shouldn't take precedence over the funny stuff and I don't like the way Chris is not as demented as in The Smell Of... Have they had no new ideas?

There have been a few good bits but nothing that has made me laugh out loud.

I wish they would just concentrate on expanding on what they do best- bizarre sketches

Quote from: "The Plaque Goblin"I don't like the way Chris is not as demented as in The Smell Of

Isn't as demanted as he is in Bang Bang?  I would have thought meancingly staring through windows, staring at people when they sleep, sitting in the dark watching TV and keeping a turkey in a box is a tad more demented than anything he did in the club.

Plus lets remember that charecter didn't do much in Bang Bang.  Cattericks just a natural expansion of the character.

The Plaque Goblin

Yes, it was Bang Bang....

Over the years Chris does seem have become more functional as a human being, being able to conduct actual conversational exchanges and perform normal, everyday tasks too.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I thought we'd all agreed that this wasn't 'canonical' with Bang Bang?

Neil

Just watched #3 thanks to Blue Flush in the Soulseek room, nice capture he made of it.  Seemed to be no real jokes past about the first 10 minutes, very slow, and although Morwenna Banks has been excellent throughout I didn't half cringe when she started miming to that song, jesus...

Loved last weeks as it had the first genuinely hilarious gasping-for-air moment (the face-washing) so thought the show was going to continue getting better but, nah, this weeks was just too damn slow.   I am enjoying it, but with reservations.  It's just not the comical tour-de-force and return to form I'd been expecting from Vic and Bob.  Shame.

EDIT:  Oh, and Chris' dance, very poor.  Didn't live up to the build-up given in episode 1, did it?  Moon-walking while playing the flute, yeeeees....

Daniel

For anyone interested, the bbc interactive channel is showing a loop of these songs after 9:00 every night:

The Sire of Sorrow
I Wanna Know What Love Is
Satan Rejected My Soul
Kinky Boots (love this)
Hot on the Heels of HBK (not yet been in the series so may be a slight spoiler)

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"I thought we'd all agreed that this wasn't 'canonical' with Bang Bang?

Yeh I know but you can still refer to how his character has evolved inbetween outings.

TJ

Catterick plea - for various reasons, I need a VHS copy of the whole series within a couple of days of the last episode being transmitted. Would one of you be kind enough to provide a dub? PM me if you can, cheers!

Darrell

Quote from: "TJ"Catterick plea - for various reasons, I need a VHS copy of the whole series within a couple of days of the last episode being transmitted. Would one of you be kind enough to provide a dub? PM me if you can, cheers!

You know I would, but I made the out-of-character decision not to tape it until it appeared on BBC2. Soz.

Quote from: "Darrell"until it appeared on BBC2.

As a matter of interest, do you happen to know when it's being repeated?

Darrell

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"
Quote from: "Darrell"until it appeared on BBC2.

As a matter of interest, do you happen to know when it's being repeated?

The original plan was to do a League of Gentlemen and run it on BBC2 a week after BBC3, meaning that you could watch one on BBC2 and switch over to BBC3 for the next one. They seem to have abandoned this, so I haven't a clue when it'll be on terrestrial.

Doctor Stamen

I'm not taping it yet either as I didn't want to watch it in future with 'ALL NEW VIC AND BOB - BBC THREE' stamped in the left-hand corner of the screen.  Fuck, that really gets on my tits.  Hopefully it'll get a release on DVD eventually, and maybe 'Grass' too (which i'm really enjoying, and missed when it was on BBC3).

Geej

I have heard it mentioned on another board that those of you with this digital thingumygig freeview box of what have you - any how you chaps can (after 9pm) hit the 'red button' and watch all the songs again.

For some reason, somebody thought that you would want to watch bad Morrisey faux-kareoke more than you had to....

God bless interactivity.

TraceyQ

No! Dont do it! It's spoiler hell! I watched it and it made me go "Noooooooooooooooo!" at the bit that hadnt been shown yet.

Gavin

I found the following; I take no credit for the encodes and I haven't downloaded them myself yet.

Codec: Xvid
Bitrate: 1500
Audio: Lame MP3 192 kbps
Duration: 30 mins

ed2k://|file|Catterick.1.-.170204.avi|354643968|4601E682C9310FC82680C5317EB3C0C5|/

ed2k://|file|Catterick.2.-.220204.avi|360159232|E54E928CB8C6E37DE74092F49BEC5872|/

ed2k://|file|Catterick.3.-.290204.avi|358002688|CB2247D17CF2EFE36710376926243982|/

They are about 330MB each!

fanny splendid

I'm not being funny, but how do we use those links? Nothing happens when I click on them.

Neil

You need something installed that uses the Edonkey network, like Emule or Edonkey itself.

Darrell

One word - wow.

Hans

I didn't think it was that great tonight.  The first 5-10 minutes was particularly slow but after that it picked up a bit.

The whole series so far has been pretty hit and miss and it feels as though Vic and Bob are trying too hard to be surreal and not pulling it off like they used to.  I think Shearsmith makes a good 'baddie' but isn't very funny and Matt Lucas is becoming more annoying every episode.

Nice to see Oxbow Lake showing up again though.

That was fucking awful, worst episode yet.

TJ

I'm still desperate for a VHS dub if *anyone* can help. Please get in touch off-forum. Cheers!

butnut

I managed to see this for the first time last night (at my parent's). Hmm.

As I hadn'd seen any of the previous episodes, it took me a few minutes to get my bearings. There were a few moments where this raised the corners of my mouth - the hoover on Shearsmith's head, and then him using the nozzle to see where he was going; the burial of the policeman by the side of the road for  no real reason.

But, maybe I'm missing lots of things from previous episodes, but most of it just passed the time nicely - and I expect more. I found the Little Britain afterwards full of plenty more laughs.

Did anyone stay tuned for that hippie/activists comedy after that? Fucking hell it was shit. It remineded me of the office with silly clothes and comedy west-country-accents for some reason.

Neil

After watching the latest one I'm still not sure what to make of this show.  What I found odd about it is that Bob has always been the funnier of the two, yet seems to be playing Catterick fairly straight.  Vics characters are brilliant, though.

Rats

No, I have to disagree, bob is the funniest on this. His character is class.

TotalNightmare

I actually really liked the latest episode of Catterick.. and in many ways, its the most '24' style episode.
I agree it wasnt the funniest, but that doesnt mean that it wasnt of worth. I enjoued the story and its development and i liked the character chat bits. Like the scene where Chris and Co are talking about what they are going to spend the cash on.

I think, once all is said and done, this is my fav comedy show of the past 5 years and i look forward to watching it all in one go when the series finishes. I dont intend to watch the taped shows again until its all over!...

JOY

Neil

Can you sort TJ out with a copy then?

I think I'll mellow to it on second viewing.  I am probably still getting over the fact that it's not Weekenders: The Series.  That's a damn shame.  Darrell argued very passionately for this show on Soulseek the other night and made some very good points about people not giving it a fair chance.  I think it'll improve hugely on another viewing.  I'm just wary about people being too defensive of it because it's Reeves and Mortimer.  Or maybe I just have to get over the natural dislike I seem to have to comedy shows that aren't content with being self-contained 30-minute capsules.  Modern comedy just doesn't seem to grab me when it seems to be frustrated with being just comedy.

Neil

Quote from: "Rats"No, I have to disagree, bob is the funniest on this. His character is class.

Well I just rewatched the latest episode on BBC3.  While I would say it's a great show, with plenty to like about it, my main problem with it is definitely the fact that Bob is so under-used.  Because of the weird shaking and relationship between Carl and Chris, there's no classic Vic and Bob chemistry, they're not playing off themselves the way they can brilliantly.  In an ideal world, Bob would have played the copper to Vics' "American Eagle."  That fucking beard, which he could at least have died to match the curtains, probably put the kibosh on him playing another all-out for-laughs character (although doesn't the gas-sniffer lack face furniture?)  Regardless, imagine if they still didn't take themselves and their craft so seriously and could fit Bob out with a Kenny Everett-style false chin so he could play another major character.  That's what's keeping me from really warming to this, the fact that it takes itself so seriously.