Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

(Vaguely Techie) Pauper pooter purchase

Started by Benny J. Fish, February 15, 2004, 12:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny J. Fish

Okay, I don't normally make horrible timewastey threads like this, but I'm poor as shit, and am looking for a computer to sit in my student hovel.

I've saved £230, and was wondering what you'd reccomend as specs for new and secondhand at this sort of price. Cheers bods!

Dr David V

Well I don't know where you study Benny, but at our college you can get some reasonable second hand computers for around £230, so it might be worth looking at your college/university for offers, if they do that sort of thing. I'd guess you could get a Pentium 2 or perhaps 3 with a bog-standard graphics card, 17" monitor and some Office software to boot. I wouldn't bet on getting a CD writer drive though, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Hope that helps.

Bill Oddie

What do you want it for? Just interwebbing and word processing, or more intensive stuff?

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Are you hardcore enough to build one yourself, and do you have any 'leftovers' from a previous (or current) PC?

You can probably do pretty well for £230, look at Novatech fro motherboard bundles - cheapest is £95 and has 256MB, Athlon XP1900.

Benny J. Fish

Quote from: "Bill Oddie"What do you want it for? Just interwebbing and word processing, or more intensive stuff?

Maybe a bit of Champ Manager and getting fireworks to run faster that 2 mm an hour as well.

I wouldn't be able to handle computer building. Too thick and impractical. Though Novatech looks good otherwise too

Bill Oddie

Quote from: "Benny J. Fish"

Maybe a bit of Champ Manager and getting fireworks to run faster that 2 mm an hour as well.

I wouldn't be able to handle computer building. Too thick and impractical. Though Novatech looks good otherwise too

Your best bet would be to find out where your nearest computer fair is, you can get some real bargains there (monitors for £20 and the like), chances are you'll pick up a complete system second hand that'll run Champ Man etc well enough.

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Quote from: "Benny J. Fish"I wouldn't be able to handle computer building. Too thick and impractical. Though Novatech looks good otherwise too

Shame, it's a good way to get a lot more PC for your money, esp if you can harvest parts from your old machine. Have a read of this guide to building your own PC and see if you're still scared afterwards. If you get a bundle from Novatech, that's the potentially computer breaking bits taken care of, really.

I honestly cannot reccomend them high enough though, i've bought loads of stuff from them, sent bits back, never had any probelms at all.

Benny J. Fish

Quote from: "Incredible Monkey Doctor"
I honestly cannot reccomend them high enough though, i've bought loads of stuff from them, sent bits back, never had any probelms at all.

This is probably a good point to confess I'm slightly dyspraxic isn't it! Thanks loads, but I'm a menace around anything like that! I might see if my Dad's up for a weekend of headfuck fun though! Does sound easier than I imagined though