Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued)

Started by Replies From View, October 26, 2015, 06:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

The other thread reached 100 pages, and halfway through the series seems like a good opportunity to flip over to side B.

mook

Replies From View

biggytitbo

Clara is a well written character well acted by Jenna Colman.

Thomas

'Doctor Who and the View to a Kill' was the best Colin Baker serial.

MojoJojo

Can I just say that I would like it if a new thread started with the actual first episode?

I do dip into the pre-series speculation a bit but it's a bit wank for the non-obsessives. 45% of the old thread is before the episode.

Just do a Doctor Who Series X[nb]coincidence[/nb] speculation thread or something. Mixing discussion of actual aired episodes with comments about the rumours of tardis's change of paint shade is just a pain in the arse.

Replies From View

It's easy - just join in with a thread as an episode airs and you're there in that live discussion.  You can skip everything before that.

There's no point in having separate speculation threads and broadcast threads as everyone will have to follow two threads, with stuff being posted twice and everyone getting cross that there's two threads to follow, until eventually only one thread will stick and the other will die.  We had this when we tried to keep separate threads going, one for spoilers and one without - in the end the thread without spoilers just got abandoned.

BritishHobo

MATE THERE'S NO CONSISTENCY WITH HOW IT WAS DONE FOR SERIES 7 AND 8

Oh, this'll ruin the whole series for me. I won't be able to stop thinking about it. I was finally enjoying it, too.

holyzombiejesus

Did anyone else notice a couple of really crappy edits/ jumps in this? One when they were creeping about in the dark looking for the amulet and again when they were squabbling in the woods with Hounds character.

I hope Hound's character reappears in another episode, this time set in the present day where he's still a shit stand-up comedian but called Russell. Or was that the inference anyway?

BritishHobo

I was sorta hoping Williams and Hound might end up in Moffat's stable of recurring characters, alongside the Paternoster lot and the new UNIT team. Get Perkins back in as well.

Deanjam

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 26, 2015, 11:12:44 PM
I was sorta hoping Williams and Hound might end up in Moffat's stable of recurring characters, alongside the Paternoster lot and the new UNIT team. Get Perkins back in as well.

Ambient Sheep

Ladies, Gentlemen and all other categories, please welcome the return of...

Sheepy's new[nb]The first in several years.[/nb] and almightily expanded guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:  Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15:  So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special (A Christmas Carol))
2011/01/20 - 2012/01/05:  Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32))
2012/01/07 - 2012/12/29:  Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers) (S07(33)E01 (Asylum of the Daleks) - S07(33)E05 (The Angels Take Manhattan) plus Christmas Special (The Snowmen))
2012/12/29 - 2013/07/11:  Doctor Who, Series 7 (part two) (S07(33)E06 (The Bells of Saint John) - S07(33)E13 (The Name of the Doctor))
2013/01/07 - 2014/01/05:  Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year (overlaps with the previous thread)
2013/12/26 - 2014/08/11:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (101 pages before Series 8 (34) had even aired!)
2014/08/09 - 2014/10/21:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 2) (S08(34)E01 (Deep Breath) - S08(34)E09 (Flatline))
2014/10/21 - 2015/01/14:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3) (S08(34)E09 (Flatline) - S08(34)E12 (Death in Heaven) plus Christmas Special (Last Christmas))
2015/01/05 - 2015/10/27:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (S09(35) speculation and E01 (The Magician's Apprentice) - E06 (The Woman Who Lived))
2015/10/26 - 201?/??/??:   Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued) (You're reading it now...)

Other Doctor Who related broadcast threads, also in chronological order apart from the second one:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Current thread, 2011/01/14 onwards)
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1, there was no S1 thread)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3 (aka Children of Earth)
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games
Torchwood: The New World (one-page thread presaging Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood return date.... (three-post thread announcing Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (aka Series 4)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (US airings)

There wasn't a Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 thread, let alone a Series 5 one. :-(

Still more Doctor Who related threads, again in chronological order:
Fanzines (Comedy, Doctor Who and in general)
Mong Doctor Who series 5 (H.S. Art thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who (a really good thread, IMHO)
Doctor Who Mongs (H.S. Art thread)
Beeb to show unseen interview with Dr Who theme creator (Delia Derbyshire)
Doctor Who film (November 2011 thread about film rumour)
Watching Doctor Who no 1. The Time Meddler (1965)
Why i don't like modern Doctor Who
Doctor Who leaked scripts thread (but still no spoilers) (July 2014)
Doctor Who: The Movie (April 2015 thread about another film rumour)

(Info from here, here, consulting tags[nb]Plus adding twelve of my own - basically everything from Dec 2012 onwards, plus a couple of old threads I found.[/nb] and lots of Googling.  Thanks to Tokyo Sexwhale for reminding me back in February 2010 about the two earliest threads.  Further additions & corrections welcome.)

Pijlstaart

Loved the Lion King, he was beautiful, and with his fire breath he was a tangible threat as well. He pushed a good 3 peasants over to aid his friends in the invasion, and I daresay he'd have taken that into the double digits if the invasion continued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwhHzz72RU

Maisie Williams shouldn't be allowed to act in parts like this. True, she'd been given rubbish lines to work with, but every line of hers was clunky and out of place. Took me out of it completely. The Lion King was a professional though, even though he was very distinctive-looking it didn't feel like an actor, just a guy who was actually there and had stuff to do.

kittens

MojoJojo

Quote from: Replies From View on October 26, 2015, 09:16:17 PM
It's easy - just join in with a thread as an episode airs and you're there in that live discussion.  You can skip everything before that.

There's no point in having separate speculation threads and broadcast threads as everyone will have to follow two threads, with stuff being posted twice and everyone getting cross that there's two threads to follow, until eventually only one thread will stick and the other will die.  We had this when we tried to keep separate threads going, one for spoilers and one without - in the end the thread without spoilers just got abandoned.

I don't normally see the shows live so it's a day or two until I read the thread and then it takes some searching through the thread until I find posts from people who've actually seen the episode.

I wasn't really suggesting a separate speculation thread. Call it a "pre-series" thread or whatever. Since we have about 50 pages pre-series, and about 50 pages for the first half of the series, we would probably end up with a 50 page pre-series thread and then a 100 page thread for the actual series. Is the middle of the series really a more natural place to split the thread than the beginning of the series?

I am well aware that talking about how to organise threads is tedious.

Bingo Fury

Back in 2005, Purple Tentacle wrote:

QuoteI've got a reel of standard 8mm with my grandad and William Hartnell getting pissed up and going to the races chomping on big cigars.

I offered it to the Doctor Who archive people who said it wouldn't be suitable as "the fans" wouldn't want to see William Hartnell smoking.

So fuck the fans then.

Wow, what happened to this, then?

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 27, 2015, 10:01:35 AM
I don't normally see the shows live so it's a day or two until I read the thread and then it takes some searching through the thread until I find posts from people who've actually seen the episode.

I wasn't really suggesting a separate speculation thread. Call it a "pre-series" thread or whatever. Since we have about 50 pages pre-series, and about 50 pages for the first half of the series, we would probably end up with a 50 page pre-series thread and then a 100 page thread for the actual series. Is the middle of the series really a more natural place to split the thread than the beginning of the series?

I am well aware that talking about how to organise threads is tedious.

But surely it'll change nothing to have a "pre-series" thread as you're talking about having to wade through pages of discussion to find the meaty episode bits every week.  In the end you won't be reading very much however the threads are cut up.

Fair point about where the threads could be split though.  Next year, if we remember, the series 10 thread can start with a dedicated "pre-broadcast" thread.  It's just that, firstly, it's a bit anathema to abandon a thread after 50 pages, and secondly it's not entirely predictable how many pages of threads any Doctor Who series might tot up.  Series 8 had three threads, for example.

Cerys

Watching The Bells of St John at the moment, and it occurs to me that this painting of Clara:

displays more emotion than the real Clara has ever managed.

Kelvin

That was meant to be Clara? I assumed it was supposed to be a highly evolved frog.

Alberon

So what is the arc this series? At the start I thought we'd be seeing that Last Will and Testament thing popping up all through the series, but that has disappeared without mention. Though I suppose it's mention was a Chekov's Gun situation and it will be back.

Higher prominence has been given to this hybrid stuff which could refer to Williams' Me character.

Any thoughts?

biggytitbo

Kelvin

If an episode can reach the lofty heights of a story about farting aliens, I might let Moffat off the hook for the last few episodes. 

biggytitbo

Quote from: Kelvin on October 27, 2015, 02:14:04 PM
If an episode can reach the lofty heights of a story about farting aliens, I might let Moffat off the hook for the last few episodes.

The farting aliens is only a small part of an episode full of invention, good jokes and satire. Besides, I thought that 'farting' worked perfectly well in the context anyway. There's even a sly subtext about 9/11 conspiracy theories in there too.

Serge

I kept meaning to look up Ariyon Bakare, who played Lion Man, as I recognised his name, and have only just remembered to do so while I'm near a computer. Bloody hell! He was Stephen in 'Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell'! Well, bugger me.

HappyTree

This was a bit less good but enjoyable enough. Williams was ok, certainly a step up from YKW. Or JLC if you prefer. Capaldi was great, he must remain the Doctor forever. Well, one more series will do after this one. I liked the guy making jokes to stave off fear. I don't know who Rufus Whatsit is but his character was hale and hearty enough to please any wench's heaving bosom.

And, miracle of miracles, JLC didn't even annoy me. Because she did the only thing she's any good at: appear for only a couple of minutes and look very cheery. That said, looking forward to her being killed in some purple way.

Roll on Saturday!

sillymisslily

Rewatched The Woman Who Lived because I'm a masochist.

When Me is getting her gun out, she says to the Doctor "It's kill or be killed." in the episode where the main theme is that they are both immortal.

MojoJojo

Right, so I've finally caught up.

Basically, I think I can understand why there was a split on last episode[nb]The Woman Who Lived, wiki tells me[/nb]. The setup was good - Ashildr might want to fuck over the Doctor, might have the ability to do it due to hundreds of years to prepare and the Doctor feels guilty about what he did to her so might get trapped. Who is going to betray who.

However, a lot of the script was shit. The stupid Lion man stuff I just accepted as the sort of cheap rubber face you have to expect with it, but the dialogue in the first half was a real struggle.

They've set Ashildr up nicely as a recurring character though.

[edit]arghh stupid edits... but there is also the theme about the fact she doesn't care about anyone dying. Even if it involves climbing up a chimney with no soot[/nb]

Hmm, if the Doctor is really worried about Dollface, why is he bringing her along? Oh right, I get the whole thing about the companion going home after every adventure now ... no tension.