Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Assassins Creed Syndicate

Started by Thursday, October 22, 2015, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

They should've be more critical last year and maybe they wouldn't have released this mess.

People are saying its better than Unity but giving it a lower score.

Thursday

It's the thing with glitches though where some people seem to get tons of them, some people don't seem to get many at all. I played it on PC after there'd been a few patches and though it wasn't exactly completely smooth, I didn't have anything like the no-face glitch. Other than those problems I honestly thought it was one of the better Assassin's Creed games. But now it's the accepted opinion that Unity was a terrible, unplayable game.

BritishHobo

Got to massively echo the thoughts posted earlier in the thread about how drawn out 3 is. Even after all the stuff that's described on page 1 about how long it takes for the game to get started, you've still got the fakeout where it switches from the nasty Templar to the actual protagonist. Then an ongoing montage where you watch him grow up, with more tutorial stuff about tree-running, then it keeps jumping. You meet your mentor, then there's the whole thing with fixing up the boat (which happens off-screen), then finally your base is established and you start the actual flow of the game.

But by that point, I've lost interest. Boston is too small, and the streets too wide, so it's not particularly fun running around it. There's the wilderness, but it's so tediously long and empty that the game is basically demanding you use the Fast Travel thing; again fucking off most of what made the previous games fun. I want to run across rooftops and find sneaky ways to assassinate people.

brat-sampson

3 was a pile of shite. Just downright boring and set in a location designed to play to zero of the series' strengths. I enjoyed 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag. Those are the only ones I've played. Unity seemed a lot like more of the same, but with New Console GraphX and now reviews for the new one seem all over the place.

Re. Syndicate, I quite liked this review (YouTube) because from that I'd probably find it tricky to score too. Some aspects sound fairly good (graphics, pacing, some gameplay elements), others sound really poor (characterisation above all else but also large-scale traversal is dull/slow and the whole thing just seems... uninspiring) and depending on your preferences overall it'll resonate more/less with different people. It's pretty much never going to go down as a bonafide classic but at the same time if you like playing AssCreed, this isn't the worst.

BritishHobo

Gaming culture's favourite critic Anita Sarkeesian has done herself a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OzKTAYkyTE

Ironically, given his appearance in the recent anti-Sarkeesian documentary to slag her off, Jack Thompson would probably find a lot to agree with in the video's last couple of minutes.