Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:20:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Star Trek TV series

Started by Deanjam, November 02, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Looks like Star Trek is coming back to telly where it belongs.

www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

QuoteCBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network's digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS's current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman's Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

"There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show's 50th anniversary celebration," said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. "Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we're excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately."

"This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access," said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. "We've experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series."

"Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world," said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. "We can't wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base."

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Old Nehamkin

I hope this is good and not bad.

Deanjam

EFB

I also hope this is good and not bad.

Gulftastic

'Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. '

They are either ignoring the animated series, or admitting how shitty one of Voyager or Enterprise were.

Small Man Big Horse

See I liked the first Trek but thought In To Darkness was pretty weak, and Kurtzman is also responsible for the recent Spiderman 2 nonsense, and Cowboy and Indians, whilst 'creating' the Sleepy Hollow and Hawaii Five-O shows, so I can't get that optimistic about this.

daf

Well that's the end of Dr Who then - they both can't exist on TV at the same time without triggering the Blinovitch Limitation Effect [nb]Yes, Yes, Patrick Troughton, and the arse end of MccCoy - I know . . . nevertheless, in the main, TNG, DS9, and the rest were on TV during Dr. Who's off air years[/nb]

Speaking as a long-term fan, I love both Trek reboot films, although the 2nd one gets completely lost in the 3rd act, ends very abruptly and the Khan casting is nearly unforgivable. However, I think this could turn out great. Going to depend on the setting and the cast, ultimately.

This could finish off the movie franchise for good too, which might not be a bad thing. TV shows don't generally "graduate" to feature films anymore.. arguably they never did, but it seemed sort of the default for Trek, and not doing so was the mark of failure. If this show is successful, what are the chances of them bothering to switch formats after 7 years? Would they do it only because of the legacy?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 02, 2015, 05:10:57 PM
'Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. '

They are either ignoring the animated series, or admitting how shitty one of Voyager or Enterprise were.

I assume they mean five after TOS (after all, it wasn't a book, play or radio series first).

Replies From View

QuoteThese are the new characters of the Starship Enterprise.  Seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.  To boldly go etc.

Sounds crap mate.

Mr_Simnock

I really hope it's filmed in the style of 'Everyone loves Raymond' and Neelix is the centre character around which all stories revolve.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 02, 2015, 06:19:38 PM
Speaking as a long-term fan, I love both Trek reboot films, although the 2nd one gets completely lost in the 3rd act, ends very abruptly and the Khan casting is nearly unforgivable. However, I think this could turn out great. Going to depend on the setting and the cast, ultimately.

This could finish off the movie franchise for good too, which might not be a bad thing. TV shows don't generally "graduate" to feature films anymore.. arguably they never did, but it seemed sort of the default for Trek, and not doing so was the mark of failure. If this show is successful, what are the chances of them bothering to switch formats after 7 years? Would they do it only because of the legacy?

Pine and Quinto are signed up for four movies, so as long as the next one doesn't flop I imagine they could continue separately from the tv series.

Mr_Simnock

Forget that, a much better idea is a sort of Cheers like show all based in ten forward with that wank stain Guinan farting around trying to annoy everyone.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 02, 2015, 05:10:57 PM

They probably mean the best Star Trek show, Deep Space Nine!

Blumf

So, is this going to be of the traditional Enterprise poncing about the universe fare, or are they going for something else like DS9?
Is it original era, TNG era, or before[nb]If they could delete all the ST:E tapes and redo that properly, I'd be happy[/nb]/after that?

I have my doubts, as the recent films have shown a complete lack of understanding of what made the show so enduring in the first place.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 02, 2015, 06:19:38 PM
I don't see how this will have any influence on the film series. I expect it'll work like Agents of Shield (but hopefully better than that was in its first series): Someone from the films, most likely Quinto, will turn up in the pilot episode, to tie it all together and then this will potter along, occasionally referencing Kirk and co. Maybe the cast will make a cameo appearance in one of the films, but otherwise, nah.

George Oscar Bluth II

I assumed the phrase

Quotetotally new Star Trek television series

meant new setting, new characters etc. I hope so anyway, no more reboots please.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Making it a spinoff from the current films would be the safest franchise brand audience retention maximalisation strategy, so that's probably what they'll do.

thraxx

To boldly go where man has only gone 18 times before.

Milverton

I watched both the planet killing cream horn and the silicon mining bathmat episodes of ToS today. Superb. How could that ever be bettered by a new show?

We know how this will pan out already. By the time they've Poochiefied it we'll have a transgender communications officer and Shaker Aamer as head of security.

Attila

The could film it Peep Show style. Or make every episode found footage.

Alberon

This has been on the cards for a while. The rumour being they wanted to get a third reboot film out of  the way before Trek returned to its proper home.

I'm pretty sure of the answer but I do wonder which universe this is set in - Prime or reboot? Doesn't really matter, either way they can have a crossover with the other series if they wanted to.

Avoiding a main channel and going for the CBS digital service probably gives it a better chance of survival.

Ambient Sheep

I've never seen the two reboot films, but funnily enough that was about to change anyway as I picked them both up cheaply over the last couple of weeks (one for a quid in Cash Converters, the other for £3 in Tesco or somewhere).  So watching them will be doubly interesting now.

Quote from: Milverton on November 02, 2015, 08:40:39 PMI watched both the planet killing cream horn and the silicon mining bathmat episodes of ToS today. Superb. How could that ever be bettered by a new show?

It's weird when I find myself agreeing with you!

Dr Rock

The big question is will they go for a male white captain? It went white male (Kirk), white male (Picard who my gf saw in real life in Hampstead last week!!), black male (Sisko?), white female (Kate Something?), then white male again (no idea) for that series I never saw. So an asian ladyboy captain next then.

Gulftastic

Alien captain. Calling it now.

Alberon

the hum

There seems to be deliberately no mention of Prime v Abrams in the press releases, leading me to think that it must be set in the movie reboot universe. Given the financial success of the Abrams movies it makes little sense other than to do a nice little cash-in on the side.

Besides which, it looks like the Prime universe is going to be given a treat with the upcoming Star Trek: Axanar film - possibly the only fan-funded effort I will ever watch, so excited was I by the prelude mini-film/documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Cloud

For now I'm going to presume it'll just be a load of "reboot / alternate universe" wank and be pleasantly surprised if it's not...

Deanjam

Quote from: Attila on November 02, 2015, 08:57:42 PM
The could film it Peep Show style. Or make every episode found footage.

Don't even jest.

MojoJojo

Quote from: the hum on November 02, 2015, 10:44:50 PM
There seems to be deliberately no mention of Prime v Abrams in the press releases, leading me to think that it must be set in the movie reboot universe. Given the financial success of the Abrams movies it makes little sense other than to do a nice little cash-in on the side.

I find it hard to imagine the Abrams films on the small screen - it's all too big shiny, new, clean bang boom smash.

They haven't really said anything about the new series except they're going to make it, which makes me think they haven't really decided anything yet.