Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Star Trek TV series

Started by Deanjam, November 02, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natnar

It would be great if it was set maybe ten years after Voyager in the prime universe with a mixture of old characters from TNG, DS9 & Voyager and new ones.

daf

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 02, 2015, 09:57:59 PM
black male (Sisko?)

I'm watching DS9 again (on CBS Action) - and was reminded of the very peculiar acting choice from Avery Brooks in the first few episodes - I think his intent was for something along Shakesperian lines, but it just comes across more like he's on Acorn Antiques. [nb]as a sideboard.[/nb]

Luckily, like Riker and Janeway, he improved with the addition of some chin fungus.

greenman

Your forgetting no traditional Trek(except Enterprise) exists anymore, Kurtzman and co erased it from history with the first Trek reboot.

Alberon

You can handwave that away easy enough. The reboot had Spock's and Nero's ships turn up in a parallel universe rather than the past which up to that point had been the same as the Prime universe.

Someone's[nb]Not me, honest![/nb] already set up a Change.org petition for the show to be set in the Prime universe. Though, admittedly, it only has 19 signatures so far.

https://www.change.org/p/alex-kurtzman-cbs-television-set-the-new-star-trek-series-2017-in-the-prime-universe

greenman

Probably true although my point was really more how dismissive Kurtzman and co were of the previous Trek in the past, combined with the wording of that press release makes a TNG era series seem a bit unlikely to me although I would certainly welcome it.

The DS9 aftermath certainly seems interesting with Cardassia rebuilding and maybe conflict there between those wanting to move towards the Federation and those not.

MojoJojo

I thought it was explicitly a Back to the Future style multiple time-lines model anyway?

I dunno, I'm not sure that explicitly tying it to either continuity is necessary or would be a good idea. The different series have all been mostly self contained anyway, and references to events from other series have always been small and unimportant[nb]unless you like to draw timelines of the Trek universe or whatever[/nb].

Quote from: greenman on November 03, 2015, 02:15:32 PM
Probably true although my point was really more how dismissive Kurtzman and co were of the previous Trek in the past

I don't remember them being dismissive. Roberto Orci spent a great deal of his time over at Trekmovie.com engaging with fans directly about the process of making the films, both times round. Of course, when he was fired for Trek 3 that all went quiet, and Kurtzman seems to have distanced himself from him too. God knows what happened.

In any case, if the only evidence of them being dismissive of the previous Trek was the story of the first film then I've got to call bullshit on that. They could have just done it with no concern about the previous Trek but they fit original Spock into the story - how much more fan-pleasing can you get than by bringing Nimoy back to Spock 20 years later?

Alberon

It's true, they could have just gone down the total reboot idea. But having a brand new timeline not bound by decades of continuity, while at the same time making it a sequel to all the previous Trek series and films is actually a great move.

Shame they fucked it up with 'Into Darkness'.

It seems to make sense to me to set it in the Prime universe. Fans overwhelmingly want it, I think, and casual viewers won't care. So, with all that taken into consideration, it will almost certainly be set in the reboot timeline.

Blinder Data

Let's face it guys: this is gonna be pretty shit.

Alberon

Blumf

The DS9 aftermath certainly seems interesting with Cardassia rebuilding and maybe conflict there between those wanting to move towards the Federation and those not.

I'd think something DS9-a-like/related would make the most sense for modern TV. Plenty of scope for drama and a running story for the box set brigade. But it does sound like they're doing another one following the Enterprise and crew. Nothing wrong with that, as such, but it'd be nice to look around the rest of the ST universe (prime or otherwise) instead, we've done monstert/shag/both of the week several times already.

Alberon

I think for this restart of the TV version it will for commercial reasons have to be set on a starship called Enterprise. Whether it's the reboot Enterprise or the Prime universe Enterprise-F it will be an Enterprise of some description.

Mister Six

Quote from: Alberon on November 03, 2015, 02:40:41 PMIt seems to make sense to me to set it in the Prime universe. Fans overwhelmingly want it, I think, and casual viewers won't care. So, with all that taken into consideration, it will almost certainly be set in the reboot timeline.

Oh yeah, the potential for Agents of SHIELD-style brand-extending crossover reference wank that nobody gives a shit about will be too tempting.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Blumf on November 03, 2015, 02:53:50 PM
I'd think something DS9-a-like/related would make the most sense for modern TV. Plenty of scope for drama and a running story for the box set brigade. But it does sound like they're doing another one following the Enterprise and crew. Nothing wrong with that, as such, but it'd be nice to look around the rest of the ST universe (prime or otherwise) instead, we've done monstert/shag/both of the week several times already.

A combination of self-contained stories and longer-form serial stuff would work pretty well for me. Something that would allow them to explore various one-off concepts like the older series while putting more focus on meaningful plot and character development. The first few seasons of Justified are a good model of the kind of thing I'm after structurally, although the genre is obviously completely different.

I also hope that the new series has a reasonable episode count of 13-15 episodes per season at the most so it can avoid some of the ridiculous padding and repetition that plagued even the strongest seasons of TOS/ TNG.

Realistically though, Blinder Dater makes a strong point in that there's a very good chance that this is gonna be pretty shit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

All this talk of the Prime universe is a bit confusing. Perhaps we can refer to its proponents as TOSers.

daf

or we could have an arc where they have CGI politicians endlessly debate an embargo of the trade routes - since that's apparently what all the kids love to watch these days isn't it George Lucas, you CLUELESS PLUM! . . . (and breathe)

Bring Back the Gorn!

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Alberon on November 03, 2015, 02:40:41 PMIt seems to make sense to me to set it in the Prime universe. Fans overwhelmingly want it, I think, and casual viewers won't care. So, with all that taken into consideration, it will almost certainly be set in the reboot timeline.

And in Prime, you can advance the technology in a way that makes sense.  The films are set in this weird past-future where the technology is all anachronistic – back to walkie talkies and lumpen consoles, because it's set in a far future where they're still twenty years from having lapel mics and tablet computers.  That was one of the problems with Enterprise too.

Head Gardener

I'll be happy if it's even half as good as Star Drunk

greenman

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 03, 2015, 02:24:47 PM
I don't remember them being dismissive. Roberto Orci spent a great deal of his time over at Trekmovie.com engaging with fans directly about the process of making the films, both times round. Of course, when he was fired for Trek 3 that all went quiet, and Kurtzman seems to have distanced himself from him too. God knows what happened.

In any case, if the only evidence of them being dismissive of the previous Trek was the story of the first film then I've got to call bullshit on that. They could have just done it with no concern about the previous Trek but they fit original Spock into the story - how much more fan-pleasing can you get than by bringing Nimoy back to Spock 20 years later?

I don't really see that as very "fan pleasing" Nimoy as Spock was very well known to the general public and was likely there to try and maximise interest from them.

Again I hope I'm wrong as I have a lot of trouble seeing the Trek universe as shown in the recent films working as a TV series. Decently entertaining blockbusters after the last couple of poor TNG films but ADD style coke scripting/directing and the general world as a whole would not hold up to prolonged attention on the small screen IMHO.

Quote from: greenman on November 04, 2015, 03:35:10 AM
I don't really see that as very "fan pleasing" Nimoy as Spock was very well known to the general public and was likely there to try and maximise interest from them.

Sorry - you don't think that hiring a man so old that he was only 6 years from his death was fan pleasing? Star Trek didn't do well because Nimoy was in it, it did well because it was fucking good and well advertised as being from someone who was known to the public, not necessarily in that order.

QuoteAgain I hope I'm wrong as I have a lot of trouble seeing the Trek universe as shown in the recent films working as a TV series.

Oh god yes, it'll have to MUCH better but honestly I can't believe it won't be. TV is the competition now. 24 weeks of adverts? Way more profit margin than sinking $200m into a film and hoping you clear $100m.

grainger

I'll be pleased if they continue the Star Trek philosophy of "don't bomb the crap out of lower-tech societies, and don't invade and shit or impose your values on them", but it'll probably be pro all that sort of stuff 'cos the 2010s, or more likely just be people running around firing guns and lobbing grenades at random and then saying "live long and prosper".

Mister Six

Legion's right - Nimoy's role in the Star Trek movie was very obviously there to help smooth over the transition to a new cast for the Trek nerds. Everyone else went because it was a big, fun action movie starring attractive people with some brand recognition and largely positive reviews.

Beagle 2

I liked the original series and TNG, not really watched anything else, but I'm excited about this. I liked both reboot movies as well, although they were a bit too frenetic and dumb, and there was some questionable death going on.

When I read how deep into it proper fans are I realise I'm way out of my depth though. I think it's going to be tough for any attempt at a new show to avoid getting slaughtered by the fans.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 04, 2015, 08:48:08 AM
I liked the original series and TNG, not really watched anything else, but I'm excited about this. I liked both reboot movies as well, although they were a bit too frenetic and dumb, and there was some questionable death going on.

When I read how deep into it proper fans are I realise I'm way out of my depth though. I think it's going to be tough for any attempt at a new show to avoid getting slaughtered by the fans.
It's one of those shows that people feel is "theirs", I think (much like Who, where the fans kept the light burning through its years of not being on the telly). As long as it's not filled with chuffing lens flares, I'll be happy.

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 04, 2015, 03:57:08 AM
TV is the competition now. 24 weeks of adverts? Way more profit margin than sinking $200m into a film and hoping you clear $100m.
If that's the case, why aren't Star Wars, James Bond etc. all heading to the telly?

Mister Six

There've been a bunch of Star Wars TV shows, the most recent one being the Clone Wars series.

But the real reason is that those have always been film franchises at heart, and proven successes at that. Star Trek's always been a TV show with movie spinoffs until the recent JJ Abrams relaunch, and I think the shaky reception of Into Darkness - and the realisation that the young cast might want to fuck off to other things before they get to a fourth film - might've spooked them a bit. In which case, default to the TV show. Nice and safe.

As an ideas driven sci-fi thing, Star Trek is undoubtedly best served as an episodic telly show (or online, whatever it is). The idea that the studio would stop making the blockbuster films just to please a bunch of millitant nerds is fanciful, though.

"You can't fight synergy. It's bigger than all of us."

Replies From View

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 04, 2015, 03:57:08 AM
Sorry - you don't think that hiring a man so old that he was only 6 years from his death was fan pleasing?

The audience in the same screening as me actually CHEERED at the thought of him being dead after six years, so I'd say yes.

mothman

I guess we just have to hope that Kurtzman really, really wants to be the new David Kelly or Alan Ball or whoever, and not just the guy who thought a Hawaii Five-O reboot would be a good idea[nb]Though it probably wasn't his idea, he was likely just the guy they picked to do the work?[/nb]. I think we'll be disappointed.