Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Star Trek TV series

Started by Deanjam, November 02, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Another thing is that Klingon fleet in the solar system was heading towards Earth at what must have been walking speed the entire episode and there didn't seem to be one Starfleet ship in orbit to stand against them. Reminded me of that very silly slow speed chase from The Last Jedi.

Spoilers for season 2.

Looks like Tyler/Voq will be back in season 2, going by a comment from one of the show's producers, Alex Kurztman.

"Season one was about the Klingons and the Federation at a time of war," Kurtzman explained. "Season two will not be about that.

"We want to move on. Tyler/Voq has had a major evolution over the course of the season, and we love Shazad. He's capable of absolutely everything we throw at him, and we have great plans for his character in season 2."

That spoiler confirms the creators have zero clue. Ash in all three of his forms was a tedious tit and I can't believe anyone has an interest in seeing him again.

Chairman Yang

So that was what this whole thing was building towards...

Fucking hell.

kidsick5000

It really must be/have been touch and go for a second season (if it has been confirmed).
The bow with which everything is tied off was so definite. Very "And that's our story and that's why you've never heard of the spore drive. The. End."

Also, have they settled which universe this is? Roddenbery? Abrams movies? it's own

The other thing this finale reminded me of was Season 4 of Buffy, where they had the big climax in the penultimate episode and had a low-key cap for the very last.

Lemming

They're still claiming it's the Prime universe, even though it's clearly just not. Massive headache awaits for future novel writers and such who'll have to try and somehow fit all this in between The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Cloud

I liked where the finale went, as it really felt like "right we're done being dicks and trying to do shady stuff, we're proper Federation now".  The episode really dragged its way there though.  While we're making comparisons to Babylon 5, I do think it suffers from having that "season 5 like" last minute decision to extend it (in this case from 13 to 15 episodes and then from a one-off to getting a second season) when the ending was already fully planned out.  It meant the last couple of episodes felt as tacked on as they were.

Interesting that in the end all the guesses about it being Section 31 were incorrect and the captain was just shady because of the mirror universe thing.  Though that could come later.

I thought we were supposed to get an explanation for why Discovery's technology was so superior to everything else of that era - perhaps that's where the Enterprise comes in.  I also dislike the lack of explanation for the Klingons being so radically different and hope that comes later too.

However I also like that they plan to now leave the Klingon war arc behind and have something of a fresh start for season 2.  Almost like S1 was one really long intro.  Perhaps now it can get on with being the modern day TNG-like we all wanted?  We can only hope...

Camp Tramp

One thing I got from Discovery is that Starfleet was naive and allowed the Klingons to walk all over them.

Yes, I do get that the Klingons had a cloaking device, that we had no idea they had before Discovery aired but it seemed to me that the Feds just rolled over and had no idea how to fight, against a divided Klingon Empire.

mothman

Here's a thought: what if "The Cage" wasn't canon?

Because if it wasn't, it really opens out the whole 2250s and makes Disco much less anachronistic.

It's not part of the "main" TOS sequence, and only really existed for a long time as archive footage used - and displayed on a screen to the crew - in "The Menagerie." Footage which they acknowledge is 'impossible' as it's from camera angles where no security cameras were; because of course it's the aliens (Telosians?) using their mystical powers to watch from afar. And viewing footage that is in itself miraculous, why would anyone bother to comment that the Enterprise, inside and out, and the uniforms, didn't look like that in 2255 (and really it's only Spock who'd know it was different, and he has his reasons to keep quiet, because the footage is the thing that's going to save him from a death sentence)?

If you eliminate "The Cage" from canon, then all that's left of the 'pre-TOS' uniforms & props are those seen in "Where No Man Has Gone Before," set in 2265, ten years later. That eliminates a lot of problems about Starfleet uniform chronology for one. Bridge displays and controls? Well, I just hand-wave that away as they've turned off the fancy holographic stuff.

"The Cage," and indeed "The Menagerie," aren't great Trek by a long way, so it's no great loss.

I'm not making excuses for Disco, it's a thought experiment of sorts, and one that would probably go down like a lead balloon with purists who'd insist the Original Series is sacrosanct (even if "The Cage" wasn't released until 1987).

I'll shut up now.

I waited until most of the show had aired before binge watching it. I mostly enjoyed it and felt the positives out weighed the negatives. I missed the play by play, so why do people hate this so strongly?

Alberon

I don't hate it. When it went over to the Mirror Universe it was a lot of fun, but every time there was a Klingon onscreen the whole thing dragged badly. Its first season is still better than any other Trek's (except TOS) but it does need to up its game.

Dusty Gozongas

Heh. For a series during which the biggest complainants were shouting "This isn't Star Trekky!" it was the most Star Trekky ending possible TBF.

What a disappointment. Although I will be watching the next series. Because Star Trek.

Spoon of Ploff

I think my main problem with the crew's reaction to the Federation's plan (other than it's as if they opened the Big Book of Heroic Clichés at page one and said yeah, that'll do) is just how unearned it is.

The Discovery spent most of the war sneaking around getting the Spore Drive to work, and afterwards were victorious in all encounters with the enemy. I don't recall them suffering much in the way of damage or casualties along the way. Just prior to their arrival in the Mirror universe they find a way to detect Klingon vessels and are preparing to get home in time for tea and medals.

They then miss a whole nine months of the Klingon onslaught which would have involved countless deaths as ships and stations were destroyed and colonies bombarded and wiped out.

While that was going on they were sneaking about in the Mirror Universe, where their exposure to Terran Empire cruelty was minimal - wearing over the top uniforms and watching Mirror You Tube clips of atrocities against other species and the best ways to make Kelpien burgers.

You could argue that Burnham had a good look at both sides, but she's barely in touch with the human race (seemingly the most at risk in the ongoing war). At this point her closest ties are Philippa Georgiou (dead) and Ash Tyler (betrayer) so, you know, a balanced view from that? In a chimps cock.

Is scary to say, but they could have learned a thing or two from Voyager here. Year of Hell showed a ship under regular attack, systems degraded and failing, crew injured and killed. In Discovery I don't think they even suffered the inconvenience of a replicator failure... always able to have a nice cappuccino and chat and the end of a shift. As for desperate pragmatism over principal there's the Equinox. Captain Ransom saying it's alright to 'do the right thing' when you've a state of the art star ship at your disposal.

So yeah... if they've given the Discovery a few more bumps and bruises along the way, they're decision might have felt a little less holier than thou.

I could go on... but I'd be amazed if anyone is still reading at this point.

I did like Bad Georgiou's reaction to the change of plan though. Her 'arsed mate, cigs' was prefect.

I will watch series 2 because its SciFi and I'm a sucker this kind of thing, even when it's shite. But it can only redeem itself if it focuses entirely on L'Rell and Tyler's continued diplomatic mission to the Klingon houses... all of it subtitled.

Malcy

Nobody Soup

mothman

It's being described as a deleted scene. The actor playing the s31 operative has been confirmed as being in next season, maybe even a main cast regular.

Interesting use of language from him too. We all know who Section 31 are, but to hear him describe it inlanguage that not only echoes that of the Operative from Serenity, but also the sort of hard-line no-nonsense getting-things-done strongman talk that makes right-wingers cream their pants for Trump, hmm...

mothman

I know his name. But I've looked at his filmography and I can't think of anything I remember him in.

He's got the same piercing eyes as Jeffrey Hunter in the role. Good casting, I think.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on April 11, 2018, 11:34:20 PM
I know his name. But I've looked at his filmography and I can't think of anything I remember him in.

He's got the same piercing eyes as Jeffrey Hunter in the role. Good casting, I think.

It's a good likeness. Can see myself being really disappointed by the Enterprise interior though. Doubt that will look much the same.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: mothman on April 11, 2018, 11:34:20 PM

He was the lead in Hell on Wheels, a western show which also featured Colm Meaney and Common. The show was occasionally riveting, but the whole potential was wasted during the early seasons by dubious narrative choices.

As Jeffrey Hunter is mostly remembered today for his westerns, particularly his collaborations with John Ford, that's also inspired casting.

And Mount was also the male lead in the Britney Spears vehicle Crossroads.

Malcy

Straight Faced Customer

First show I've binged on since Stranger Things. Hooked me until the last two eps; avoided all spoilers and went in as a Trek newbie (I had the dubious pleasure of only growing up with Voyager).

Yeah, agree with everyone that things fell apart once they left the Mirror universe. The 'living trees' ep earlier on in the series was also a drag.

Being a bore, I'd rather the Groundhog Day and Red Dwarf stuff was done further down the line, once the show was more established. Was fun, though.

Tyler is a black hole. Even dragged the lovely Michael down into a dull grey zone by the end lap.

Tilly in general and that club scene in the Groundhog Mudd ep should all be wiped from existence.

Loved the Lorca intrigue; the spectre of male rape on Tyler. Great characters on the whole. I even liked the Klingon scenes. It was a bold experiment that showed a show striving to refresh the Star Trek template.

phantom_power

I think you make a very good point there. The show should have done more to establish the characters before all the mind-fuckery happened.

i liked Tilly though. She was a bit of levity in a generally dark series. I seem to be in the minority on that though

Malcy

Series 2 production teaser. Glimpse of Enterprise uniforms etc.

https://streamable.com/02103

mothman

Division colour-coding coming in. But why is it different to the uniform system on Discovery? They can hardly say it's a new uniform system being brought in when Discovery has literally just been back at Earth and presumably had a good spring-clean and spruce-up, while the Enterprise has been out on a five-year mission or whatever.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on April 26, 2018, 09:25:29 PM
Division colour-coding coming in. But why is it different to the uniform system on Discovery? They can hardly say it's a new uniform system being brought in when Discovery has literally just been back at Earth and presumably had a good spring-clean and spruce-up, while the Enterprise has been out on a five-year mission or whatever.

I suppose you could argue why were the Discovery uniforms different to the Cage era Enterprise ones as well.

mothman

I think one can let that slide with a certain amount of hand-waving - it's not the exact same time period, etc. - but as soon as you get into two different uniforms coexisting, then it gets tricky.

Just don't mention the guy at the back who's still in a TNG uniform in DS9 season 6. Martok looks quite annoyed about it.

Jerzy Bondov

That First Contact/later DS9 uniform looks like it must be warm as fuck.

mothman

Given the FC uniform comprises a woollen tunic, some sort of warm-looking shirt underneath, and also a vest under that; plus it was shown several times that some characters have a waistcoat under the tunic... The aircon on Starfleet ships must be set to fucking freezing. Though the in-universe explanation is doubtless that  they're all made of some smart fabric that perfectly regulates your temperature.

Alberon

I'm surprised the DS9 cast didn't melt under the studio lights. How Michael Dorn under all that and prosthetics didn't expire is beyond me.

Meanwhile, Voyager's cast was running around in their jammies.

mothman

You wanna see hot, then DS9 season 6 episode "Rocks & Shoals" is your go-to. The crew, on a behind-the-lines mission, crash-land their Jem'Hadar ship on a desert planet and end up fighting a bunch of equally hot-looking Jem'Hadar while sweating a lot in their woollen FC uniforms.