Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Star Trek TV series

Started by Deanjam, November 02, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: mothman on April 27, 2018, 05:20:31 PM
I think one can let that slide with a certain amount of hand-waving - it's not the exact same time period, etc. - but as soon as you get into two different uniforms coexisting, then it gets tricky.

It was a laugh with Generations where they just literally threw the TNG and DS9 uniforms around at random

Camp Tramp

Quote from: mothman on May 02, 2018, 10:37:24 PM
You wanna see hot, then DS9 season 6 episode "Rocks & Shoals" is your go-to. The crew, on a behind-the-lines mission, crash-land their Jem'Hadar ship on a desert planet and end up fighting a bunch of equally hot-looking Jem'Hadar while sweating a lot in their woollen FC uniforms.

That is a legitimately good episode.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on May 02, 2018, 10:37:24 PM
You wanna see hot, then DS9 season 6 episode "Rocks & Shoals" is your go-to. The crew, on a behind-the-lines mission, crash-land their Jem'Hadar ship on a desert planet and end up fighting a bunch of equally hot-looking Jem'Hadar while sweating a lot in their woollen FC uniforms.

Terry Farrell is barely in the outside scenes due to a skin condition which means she can't be in the sun for too long. Bet she was under an umbrella with a cold drink laughing at the others sweating like Quark doing a dodgy deal in a cargo bay late at night wondering which container Odo is impersonating.

Alberon

Fucks sake. How long will Kurtzman last?

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on June 15, 2018, 05:06:02 PM
Fucks sake. How long will Kurtzman last?

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

Not long hopefully or else it will go really Kelvinverse.

Blumf

This all sounds a bit rum. Were they like that in other shows they've worked on?

QuoteInsiders also stress that Berg and Harberts became increasingly abusive to the Discovery writing staff, with Harberts said to have leaned across the writers room table while shouting an expletive at a member of the show's staff. Multiple writers are said to have been uncomfortable working on the series and had threatened to file a complaint with human resources or quit the series altogether before informing Kurtzman of the issues surrounding Berg and Harberts. After hearing rumors of HR complaints, Harberts is said to have made imposing remarks to the staff to keep concerns with the production an internal matter.

Are all the characters acting like cunts a reflection of the producers?

Mister Six

I'd be very interested to know exactly what was the subject of those "heated debates".

mothman

Is this the most troubled Trek production ever? Sure, the behind-the-scenes of the first season of TNG has merited a Shatner documentary about it, and much has been written about the Original Series. But you never hear that much about BTS shenanigans on DS9, VOY or ENT. The murkiness surrounding Jennifer Lien's departure from VOY, maybe.

Phil_A

Quote from: mothman on June 18, 2018, 01:54:18 PM
Is this the most troubled Trek production ever? Sure, the behind-the-scenes of the first season of TNG has merited a Shatner documentary about it, and much has been written about the Original Series. But you never hear that much about BTS shenanigans on DS9, VOY or ENT. The murkiness surrounding Jennifer Lien's departure from VOY, maybe.

Shooting of the Voyager pilot went badly enough that the lead actress walked out, leading Kate Mulgrew to be drafted i as a late replacement. Other than that, not much except for general gossip about Mulgrew being an awful bitch to het co-stars, and some of the other actors apparently hating every minute of being there.

mothman

Yeah, there are conflicting (but not necessarily contradictory) stories about Bujold's replacement, that she wasn't playing the role the way they wanted (they wanted someone who was as masculine as possible; she played it feminine), but also that when the reality of potentially seven years' workload on a network TV show sank in, she bailed.

I'd not heard of Mulgrew being a bitch, but I do know the male members of the bridge crew (Beltran, McNeil, Wang and Russ) did bond over largely being sidelined as secondary characters in what became the Janeway And Seven Show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on June 18, 2018, 03:59:59 PM
Yeah, there are conflicting (but not necessarily contradictory) stories about Bujold's replacement, that she wasn't playing the role the way they wanted (they wanted someone who was as masculine as possible; she played it feminine), but also that when the reality of potentially seven years' workload on a network TV show sank in, she bailed.

I'd not heard of Mulgrew being a bitch, but I do know the male members of the bridge crew (Beltran, McNeil, Wang and Russ) did bond over largely being sidelined as secondary characters in what became the Janeway And Seven Show.

Seems like Mulgrew had huge issues with Ryan and treated her really shoddily, until Ryan started dating one of the producers and the problems between them went away. From what I can gather Mulgrew also had issues with Chakotay as she felt he was lazy / shit (and she was right!) but bar that she got on with everyone.

mothman

Yes, Jeri Ryan (who is quite nice IRL as far as I can tell) dated Brannon Braga for several years I think, which would help. She seems to have weathered the curse of Trek quite well, consistently gets jobs in main-cast roles of TV shows - unlike some of the others who've eithered become TV directors for hire, or turn up in crappy DTV (if that's a thing anymore... Direct-To-Stream seems more appropriate) SF film roles - and is married to a French chef, coupla kids, seems happy. Poor Jennifer Lien, on the other hand...

Malcy

VOY seems to have been hard on Garrett Wang. He breaks down crying anytime he's asked about the on-set friction.

Usually Jeri Ryan gives him an arm rub or a hug and goes aww. He knows exactly what he's doing!

mothman

CBS Planning To Expand Star Trek Television Franchise; Alex Kurtzman To Oversee

-  A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW's reboot of "Dynasty" and previously created shows like "Gossip Girl" and Hulu and Marvel's "Runaways."
  -  A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
  -  A limited series based around the "Wrath of Khan" story. Khan's full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode "Space Seed" and again in the film "Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan." Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film "Star Trek Into Darkness."
  -  An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

If second and/or fourth ones are TNG/DS9/VOY-based or soon after, I could live with that. But the Academy, again? I'm sure a bunch of incel Trekkie nerds would just love to see lots of young attractive actors having all the sex they themselves are not.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on June 19, 2018, 07:16:29 PM
CBS Planning To Expand Star Trek Television Franchise; Alex Kurtzman To Oversee

-  A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW's reboot of "Dynasty" and previously created shows like "Gossip Girl" and Hulu and Marvel's "Runaways."
  -  A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
  -  A limited series based around the "Wrath of Khan" story. Khan's full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode "Space Seed" and again in the film "Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan." Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film "Star Trek Into Darkness."
  -  An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

If second and/or fourth ones are TNG/DS9/VOY-based or soon after, I could live with that. But the Academy, again? I'm sure a bunch of incel Trekkie nerds would just love to see lots of young attractive actors having all the sex they themselves are not.

An academy set film/series has been one of the things they've been trying to do for years. The people involved make me think it will be pure yank teenager pish. The Khan series is what Nick Meyer has been working on the past year. I doubt it will be an animated series. More likely a CGI shite fest.

Don't know how i feel about any of this. Discovery has been a huge letdown for me. I don't want 4x the amount of shite coming out alongside yet another Kelvinverse film and whatever Tarantino is up to.

Chairman Yang

Ten years of nothing and this is all they've got: the same Academy story they've been trying to sell for decades

Nobody gives a shit about your TOS fan fiction, make something new for fucks sake.

Lemming

Oh god, not the fucking Academy.

Oh god, not the FUCKING Wrath of FUCKING Khan, which isn't even a good movie to start with.

It's amazing, almost all fans online are saying "please for the love of Christ, make something new, just make a new series, please no more fanfiction" and all they can do is come up with more stuff like this.

mothman

You keep hoping against hope the next words out of their mouths will begin "It's set after..." but you know they're going to say "It's set between..." or "...before..."

I think this is it. There'll be the Academy series. I can see the cast promo shot already. The hot Caucasian male. The hot Caucasian female. The hunky but nonthreatening ethnic male. The kooky but attractive ethnic female. The token alien character, not too alien, little enough makeup to still find him/her attractive. And they're all so THIN. Even that "grizzled" (Hollywood speak for "over 30 but still hot") character actor standing paternally at the back so he doesn't command too much attention and fool anyone into thinking this isn't like totally for ver kids, man. It's going to be well lit bruv.

Lemming

I, too, can see the promo shot so vividly in my mind's eye. Absolutely horrifying.

How hard is it to just make a show about a starship that flies through space having a new self-contained adventure every episode. There must be some rule against giving fans what they want.

Chairman Yang

I, for one, welcome a show that subverts my expectations by having a well meaning man begrudgingly decide the ends justifies the means before being ultimately consumed by hubris.

You know, something novel.

Edit: Oh and some cracker playing Khan.

mothman

For some reason the following conversation just popped into my head:

"Hi, Carl!"
"It's... Karl, actually."
"Whatever. Anyway, how's it going, sport? No worries? Fair dinkum!"
"Er, you do know we don't all talk like that, right?"
"Sure thing. Anyway: to business! We thought you were great in the movie, we'd like to see more! We're gonna make a show and we want you to star!"
"Really? Wow!"
"Yeah! We just loved that catchphrase of yours."
"'I am the Law!'"
"Er... no, that wasn't it..."
"'That's ten in the iso-cube... perp..?'"
"No. Something about, 'Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a... something."
"Wait. Star Trek? You don't mean Judge Dredd?"
"Who? No, this isn't a legal show. Though we do have a kind of 'Starfleet JAG' show in development. No, this is... Starfleet Medical, and we want you to be the grizzled head of the school teaching the ship's doctors of tomorrow!"
"Um..."
"We think you'd be great! You were awesome in Beyond Star Trek Into Darkness."
"You do realise that's three films in one, right?"
"Whatever. Not seen them myself, but I hear you were GREAT. We're really excited about this property, and we'd like to meet... hello? Hello?"

Malcy

Quote from: Lemming on June 19, 2018, 10:16:49 PM

Oh god, not the FUCKING Wrath of FUCKING Khan, which isn't even a good movie to start with.

LEAVE.

Alberon

Not been mentioned above but it is being rumoured that it the deal is done Patrick Stewart could return as Picard in a limited series, which if true, would almost have to be set after Nemesis. It has been over fifteen years since that film.

mothman

God, if only. But no, the sheer hype and excitement and built-in success it would have would only detract from their precious fucking Academy prequel.

Cloud

Let's hope they get a shift on if they do.  I'm sure there's plenty of life in the old fella yet, there'd better be as he's only 77 (I was worried about him when he appeared on HIGNFY a year or two ago as it seemed like he could barely speak, but must have just been a bit ill or something as he's been on TV/youtube bright as a button since) it's just a question of how old he'll be by the time they pull their fingers out given how long Discovery seemed to take.

God it'd be so good to see a continuation of "real" Trek.  I liked Discovery by the time the season finale came around, but that doesn't mean it's what I really want the most from the franchise.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Alberon on June 20, 2018, 01:53:54 PM
Not been mentioned above but it is being rumoured that it the deal is done Patrick Stewart could return as Picard in a limited series, which if true, would almost have to be set after Nemesis. It has been over fifteen years since that film.

I wonder how many of the TNG cast would return as well? Or if they even want any of them?

mothman

The TNG cast are besties and would jump at it. But they might bring in a few faves from DS9 and VOY to make up the numbers. Though I doubt many of them would be keen to revisit. Russ and Ryan, maybe; I'd love to see Visitor, who is even more smoking hot now, in a Starfleet uniform again.

mothman

The TrekMovie's "Shuttlepod" podcast has gone one further and is now listing the hypothetical post-TNG Picard project along with the other four confirmed projects.

Dusty Gozongas

HaHa. Totally spunking it.