Author Topic: Kafka (and other translations)  (Read 176 times)

Thomas

• well they do all sixteen dances.
Kafka (and other translations)
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »
I imagine some of you lot are pretty clued up on ol' Franz. I've a collection here translated into English by a fella name of John R. Williams. Is this a good place to start as I delve into a world of describing things as 'Kafkaesque'?

I suppose there's some point to be made about never truly experiencing the work of a writer unless you're reading it in their own language. But if you're going to make that point, please do make it in English.

Literary translations, then; discuss 'em here. I know Nabokov, that enviable master of our language, translated some of his own works, which seems to me quite a reliable source of translation. Perhaps here we tread towards the territory of 'The Death of the Author', an argument I remain unconvinced by, and other thoughts on the limits of using language to express the stuff in our minds.

I don't know, I'm at work. Say interesting things.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:48:56 AM by Thomas »

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
Re: Kafka (and other translations)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »
I've rather enjoyed a couple of translations by Pevear and Volokhonsky - "Crime and Punishment" and "The Brothers Karamazov" are both decent (although I could have done without every character apparently having three different names in the latter one). Pevear's translation of "The Count of Monte Cristo" is a fucking stormer too.

neveragain

• like those swamp tar pits that bubble and go Gloop
Re: Kafka (and other translations)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »
I've been trying to get through some Murakami, but I'm not confident about how much is intended by the author. Same thing with watching Chekhov plays. Yes, I have little to add.