Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:35:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Nightmare On Elm Street (series)

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 07, 2015, 11:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

I haven't watched the first one in years, but it has a special place in my heart, along with Aliens, as being the first 18-rated films my and my mates would somehow manage to rent and watch in heavy rotation despite being about 14. Heady days.

Dream Warriors was great, schlocky fun - and I adored Doug Beswick's loving tribute to Harryhausen with the stop-motion skeletons. They looked amazing in the cinema, and really lost something in the video transfer (as did a lot of SFX stuff, even ILM gear, in those days): has anyone seen a DVD/Blu-Ray to see if they've done a better job?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: surreal on November 07, 2015, 11:07:10 AM
There's a 3-hour documentary about the series on Netflix called "Never Sleep Again".

First part of it is actually on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mEORQOC4Z8

I couldn't find it on Netflix.

Famous Mortimer

There's 49 minutes of it on Youtube with Spanish subtitles?

Talking of Youtube, I discovered that someone has made a 2-hour fan film called "Freddy's Return: A Nightmare Reborn".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Ecif8DsGc

I've not watched it yet, just flicked about, but I've seen films that looked cheaper. 2 hours though?

Sgt. Duckie

Favourite Freddy kills?

A few that spring to mind...girls head being thrust into TV set from 3 "Welcome to prime time BITCH".
Girl trapped in highchair being fed her own innards by Krueger from 5 "Bon Appetit"
Freddy finally killing Joey via the waterbed from 4 "How's this for a wet dream?"
Glen's blood erupting like a geyser from 1.

I like them and have them all on VHS including six episodes of the tv Nightmares. Freddy's appearance in 2 was very shadowy and truly scary from what I remember.

Repeater

That Freddy documentary rules btw. There's a similar one for Friday 13th. I watched them all this Halloween.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Repeater on November 22, 2015, 06:51:09 PM
That Freddy documentary rules btw. There's a similar one for Friday 13th. I watched them all this Halloween.
I suppose, as I've watched them relatively recently, it would be at least interesting, but the F13th movies are such a joyless slog at times that I'm not sure I could put myself through it. Still, if they make a joke about the timeline issue, that might be fun.

lipsink

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 22, 2015, 08:39:17 AM
To bump this, I think part 2 was designed from the beginning to be a "gay" movie. But I could well be wrong.

I just watched "Freddy vs Jason" (fine film, surprisingly) and something popped into my head. When he was alive, Freddy was all about the little kids. But when he dies, even after he takes his revenge out on the Elm Street parents, he still goes after teenagers. His tastes seem to age up by 5-10 years after he's killed.

He kills off the last of the original Elm Street offspring in the first third of Nightmare On Elm Street 4 so I suppose they had to keep the franchise going as a teen slasher at that point.

The opening of "Freddy vs Jason" does kinda hit home that this wacky comedic character started life as a sleazy child-murderer.

Steven

Quote from: lipsink on November 22, 2015, 09:05:40 PM
The opening of "Freddy vs Jason" does kinda hit home that this wacky comedic character started life as a sleazy child-murderer.

Ugh. I watched that today and didn't think much, but I never was into Friday The 13th as it's just a slasher, and maybe it's watching horror as an adult but the earlier Freddy was petrifying from a psychological standpoint and it's bits like a girl saying he looks like "A faggot in a Christmas sweater" etc, and all the wacky histrionics. Just him walking down an alleyway in silhouette with the long arms was enough to scare the fuck out of you, rather than all this jumping into video games or toasters or whatever the fuck business. As you say, just the character of him as a child-molester/murderer is much more sinister than him turning into a big fucking snake or something.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Repeater on November 22, 2015, 08:17:20 PM
What issue?
http://fridaythe13th.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Friday_the_13th_series

I think the above timeline is excessively kind to the movies - if you go by the amounts characters age, and the "ten years ago, X happened" and so on, the last Friday The 13th movie takes place something like 10-15 years after its release date. Never mentioned in the movies themselves, just something I pondered on while watching them.

Repeater